View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-09-2012, 10:39 PM

Having problems with shops card machines :( (Santander)

I was out with my mum today and not for the first time a shop/restaurant declined her santander bank card, she can get money out of cashpoint and other day at vets i paid using my card. Anyone else having this problem? She put card in machines say please wait then declined doeesnt even give option to enter pin and they try several times,bloke in kfc said its something to do with santander using different chips to other banks/building societys and only had this problem since she got new card in post. Phned bank first time it happened they said go to cashpoint but pin in which she did ages ago to activate card but thats only place it works at the cashpoint so shes scruppered if alone with no cash

Times i know of were vets,local park cafe and kfc they cant all have faulty machines, also took 2-3 goes for my dads to go through in tesco.

Its a pity we dont know anywhere that still swipes cards as the chip and pin machines seem to be the problem.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2012, 06:42 AM
I have a Santander card and haven't had any problems with it, I have used it at the vets and dog shows recently.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2012, 08:52 AM
My card machine can still swipe cards!
Infact, I haven't seen one that doesn't!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2012, 08:55 AM
I'm with Santander, not that I want to!, and haven't had any problems, although I have an old card.

Helen
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2012, 12:31 PM
It must be a faulty card grrrr.think we are gonna have to go in bank as phoning them dont seem to have worked.Not everywhere has swipe machines.kfc and park asked for alternative means of payment.i had my nationwide card with me in vets.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-09-2012, 12:52 PM
HI SR

If the card will only work at the cashpoint and not in a payment machine then it sounds as if it hasn't been activated ( this happened to me when I tried to use a new card, I didnt even know I had to activate it!)

Theres something you have to do at the cashpoint if I remeber rightly!

The chips are pretty standard across all banks (unless you have one of those cards that you can swipe to pay for small value items)
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-09-2012, 11:20 PM
all sorted now worked in kfc tonight .went to bank was that pin services thing.i dont recall her mentioning being notified card needed activating either so she cant have known.it would be nice to be informed next time please mr bank as allsorts of things go through the mind when card doesnt work.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Glad its all sorted now! Nothing should come between a gal and her KFC!