View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2012, 10:33 AM

Huge idiot's guide to Ipod Nano please......

I've always had MP3 players for my music needs but have now bought an Ipod Nano Gen. 3 from Ebay just to try it out and beginning to wish I hadn't bothered.
I haven't got a clue where to start - I've looked at the manual online = but have had conflicting info. from different people about what I can and can't do. Obviously Apple are pushing itunes - do I HAVE to download itunes to use it. All I really want to do is listen to music on it from Utube or my own cd collections. There seems to be a couple of downloads I can install to allow me to put music from my pc to the ipod but I'm a bit scared of doing it in case I c....k everything up
I just don't know where to start - and nobody I know seems to be able to help (probably my age group). Could anyone take me through the stages in SIMPLE language to get me started please??? thanks x
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2012, 11:08 AM
You have to download itunes which is free.

If your music files are in the right format you can transfer them on to itunes. Not all music must be purchased from itunes.

Once itunes is downloaded, put a cd in to the computer. It will ask if you want to sync the CD (this means upload it to itunes). Click yes and it will add it to your music library.

When you have put all your songs on to itunes, plug your ipod in and follow the steps to sync the songs on to your ipod.

You can't listen to youtube unless it is an ipod that supports wifi and you connect using the internet.

Hope this helps.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the reply. Well, I have downloaded itunes and it has imported tunes from Windows media player but not all my music from Realplayer which is where my music mainly is so I don't know how to deal with that. Also I want to put stuff from Utube onto my ipod but again not sure how to do it. I converted vids to just music on my mp3 player in a bit of a jumbled way but wanted to do it right with my ipod. I'm going to put some of my cds on my itunes library now though, so that was a big help - thanks for that info.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Thanks, have done it all now......brilliant........x
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-07-2012, 06:09 PM
This would seem to be a good example of what's wrong with Apple's whole philosophy. Take away user choice in the name of making things simpler actually makes it harder for users who want to achieve something that doesn't fit in with the law according to Cupertino.

Just BTW, there are ways and means around this if you have Apple hardware. Linux users have applications like gtkpod that effectively replaces iTunes. Also, you can replace the iPod's firmware with something like Rockbox. Of course both of these options are only available assuming Apple haven't exercised their control freakery by locking down the 'exploits' that made these kind of freedoms possible.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 08:34 PM
My friend tried to talk me through stuff tonight on FB but couldn't seem to get the same result as she did.....looks like another village has lost its idiot............
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 08:37 PM
If you have issues in the future either email or ring Apple they are usually very very helpful. I have emailed about issues and they have replied (real person and not an auto-generated email) literally minutes later. Great customer service!
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
If you have issues in the future either email or ring Apple they are usually very very helpful. I have emailed about issues and they have replied (real person and not an auto-generated email) literally minutes later. Great customer service!
Thanks for the advice, will bear that in mind.
I don't suppose you know how and if I can make itunes my default music provider do you? I've looked online and it appears you can do it but I can't seem to get rid of Realplayer! I am scared of doing something that will b.....r it all up completely........