View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 06:20 AM
Our lab cross (Dillon) came from Battersea Dogs Home. It was my husbands birthday (he was disabled and home all day) and I wanted to get him a pup. It was a total surprise, and in hindsight a bit of a daft thing to do.

However, Dillon was presented to my then husband with a big blue bow around his neck. He was with us for many many years and lived to the ripe old age of 19.

The criteria for picking him? He was a pup! Nothing more.

What a fantastic dog he was
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 07:24 AM
Thanks everyone

Such a variety of ways that the dogs have come into our lives, I've loved every story and I think Claire&Daisy is so right - really it's them picking us

Eunice - as MissE has said, Sam's story belongs on this thread as much as the others. I really enjoyed reading it, especially because I never realised before how Sam came to you.
colliemagic
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Max - my other dog had died recently and OH couldnt stand the house without a dog in it. My son showed me a pic from the local paper of a dog in rescue. At first I wasnt keen as he looked too much like the dog I had just lost but eventually we went to see him. He was totally different in build to my lost dog, and had been in kennels for around 6 months. He came home with us and is the most loving dog.

Morse - was an oldie I saw on the webpage of a local rescue. I looked at him for a few weeks before persuading OH to let us go and see him. We came home with him. The rescue concerned didnt homecheck, told us he was healthy apart from some sight problems and arithritis and that he was 9 years old and fine with other dogs. When he arrived home we discovered he had a tumour on his heart, fluid in his lungs, very overgrown nails and a mouthful of rotten teeth. He also took an instant dislike to our other dogs! He had been in various kennels for over 2 years and was at least 11 years old. He was extremely withdrawn and didnt know how to play but loved my OH to bits!

We only had him 9 months as he collapsed and died on Christmas Day but in that time we sorted out his teeth and nails and he learned to response to cuddles. He loved his walks and we were heart broken when he died.

Flynn - I was doing a homecheck for a rescue and saw his pic on their rehoming page. Looked at him for a few days and OH decided he liked him as well. We enquiried about him and went to see him. The following day we took the dogs to meet him and brought him home. Two local rescues but totally different attitiude. The one we adopted Flynn from was honest about the fact that he was a very high energy dog (spaniel x bc) and they had refused to home him to people who didnt have experience of the breed. They have stayed in touch with us and we will be taking him back to see them in the near future.

My other 2 dogs we got from a private rehoming and one from a breeder.
CandyKooKoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-10-2008, 01:01 PM
I had decided that it was time for another dog, even though it had taken me over 7 years to get over the death of my last two Bichon Frises, having lost three within six months of each other. I spoke to a friend who is involved with fostering here in Cyprus and asked her about a Cyprus Poodle puppy, but then she came up with Candy who was 13-15 months old and was also in a foster home. Everything was arranged that she would come to my shop to meet me (things are done differently here). I just fell in love with her immediately, can't say it was a two way thing because she is the type of dog that gets really attached to one person and at that time it was her foster mum. I just took her in my arms and would not let her go. That first day I would not let her down, she just loved being cuddled, plus was a bit frightened (naturally since she had been with her foster carers for nearly six months). Now I couldn't be without her as she is mine and solely mine.

KooKoo - well what happened was Candy was depressed (she was having all sorts of allergy problems and the vet thought I was mad when I said she was depressed), so after talking to the OH and one of the rescue centres, we decided to take her down to meet another Cyprus Poodle. Unlucky or lucky for us the one we were looking at got a home half an hour before we got there, so we went looking. I couldn't see anything else that was what we were looking for so then went to another rescue centre the next day. Looked at the dogs in the pens, but I don't know just wasn't what I was looking for, plus I must admit I felt sorry for so many of them with three legs or an ear or eye missing, but said to the keeper that I wanted a black Cyprus Poodle. Considering his English wasn't brilliant he done well because all of a sudden he said wait and a few minutes later he came with this scruffy bundle of black and white fur and I immediately knew she was the one. After Candy and KooKoo meeting I knew it was ok.

Now Keo was a totally different story as we had no intentions of getting another dog and only popped to the market on the Sunday because the pet shop I use was closed early on the Saturday so I couldn't get any food, but wasn't worried since they done the Sunday market. So off we go to the market, thinking it is too hot today so just to the pet stall and home, no way an hour and a half later we are home with another dog. OH wanted to take both him and his sister as they had been dumped on a golf course knowing that they would be found quickly by some kind British person, but I had to be firm stating that I did not think the girls would take another girl in, plus our garden is not big enough for four dogs so we brought Keo home on a trial basis and he is still here - bless his little white socks.
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2008, 09:57 PM
the first dog we ever owned ,was bessey (black white bordercollie ) she was just perfect ,proper lady ,she came from farm .she started my obsession for collies . we had bessey for 12yrs. to say i was heart broken ,when we lost her . would be massive understatement .
then came the rescues dylan a 9month old pup from bordercollie rescue ,he was luck he has only ever known us . i fell hook line and sinker for this boy . he came to the house ,with his brother (same litter ) soon as they came running into the house . i knew which one i wonted ,straight .away .he was bigger ,looked bold cheeky ,
he had adew claw (which we had took away ) i thought other people may turn him down because of this . so i thought thats it i wont him .

then came (what i consider the real rescue ) my lovely willow
we went looking for a friend for dylan ,he wouldnt come back in the park ,he played up .we both agreed , this boy needs a friend . deep down i wonted another girl x we went looking round all the rescues ,one saturday . the last home the last kennel .... there she was , another collie needing a mom i called her through the bars ,she hadnt eaten her food ,she looked so sad . just one look ,i just new i had to have her . dont get me wrong ,she was a naughty girl at first .she clearly had no maners (not willows fault ) i could probably picture the kind of family ,she came from but she was ,just what i was looking for . oh said we go back take dylan , they got on straight away .as she came walking a cross the grounds to meet us (i can see her now ) we both looked at one one another .and laughed ,she is just lovely . i wont her ,oh thought she was a little cracker . she has come such a long way since then . two years on ,she is a diffrent dog . i can not think ,why they would part ,with her . i love her to bits
vanillasugar
New Member!
Female 

02-11-2008, 12:37 AM
I had a dream about a dog named Sierra about a week before Sierra came into the store where I work with her foster mom.

Her foster mom brings in her foster dogs all the time, so this was nothing special. And I wasn't really looking to own a dog quite yet. However I felt drawn to Sierra from the instant I saw her. I got down on the ground with her and petted her for a bit, when her foster mom said "Sierra do you want to go home with Julia?". I looked up at her shocked, as that was the first time I learned her name. It was meant to be I suppose!

Matt was set against getting a dog at that time, but when I found out someone else had put an application in on her (ours had already been approved if only Matt would agree) I had a panic attack and just KNEW that our dog could NOT go home with anyone else.

We've never looked back, she's fantastic and we love her to bits
covkimbo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-11-2008, 11:08 AM
We are picking up our first ever rescue dog on Sunday from dogs Trust. We wanted a companion for our 8 yr old Springer Spaniel. He is very submissive with other dogs so we knew we wanted a smaller bitch. As we have two kids we also wnted a smaller dog so that they could walk her on a lead--our spaniel is a bit to strong. We saw nothing suitable, but then the woman took us to the kennels where the "new" dogs were. Tootise only arrived from Ireland last Thursday. She is a lovely looking black terrier cross -we met her --she had never been outside at the shelter before so was very inquisitive. we then brought our dog t omeet her --that went ok in as much as they both appeared to ignore each other! I'm just keeping my fingers crossed now that she will fit in ok --and I hope the cat will like her!!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by covkimbo View Post
We are picking up our first ever rescue dog on Sunday from dogs Trust. We wanted a companion for our 8 yr old Springer Spaniel. He is very submissive with other dogs so we knew we wanted a smaller bitch. As we have two kids we also wnted a smaller dog so that they could walk her on a lead--our spaniel is a bit to strong. We saw nothing suitable, but then the woman took us to the kennels where the "new" dogs were. Tootise only arrived from Ireland last Thursday. She is a lovely looking black terrier cross -we met her --she had never been outside at the shelter before so was very inquisitive. we then brought our dog t omeet her --that went ok in as much as they both appeared to ignore each other! I'm just keeping my fingers crossed now that she will fit in ok --and I hope the cat will like her!!!
ooh, good luck and do let us know how she gets on
I'm sure there will be a few teething problems as she settles in (probably after a couple of weeks, once she has found her feet), but I bet before long you won't be able to imagine life without her
covkimbo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-11-2008, 11:19 AM
We're going to rename her Dixie as I can't see myself calling Tootsie in the park! She does look sweet although she's an unknown quantity.I'm sure a bit of patience and TLC will put her right
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 12:42 PM
We had decided to get a dog, I knew I didnt want a puppy, definetly wanted to rescue.

Knew we wanted a staffie too. We started at the Cat and Dog HOme - I went in saw two staffies - one was insane, bouncing fromthe other side of his kennel up the cage door, and trying to lick my face whilst barking, and I thought as gorgeous as he was that I just didnt think I could cope with him.
The other one looked more like a cross and to be honest by this point I had walked round so many of the cages and had tears running down my face I had to get out of there !!

We also looked at Dogs trust but they had no staffies in. I knew I wasnt allergic to staffie fur which is why I couldnt contemplate any others.

I contacted Staffie Rescue and I know my email went along the lines of : Red male staffie, good with other dogs, not fussed about age.
Tracie came out to homecheck us and turned out that she knew Phil from years ago - so was all good.

She emailed me a piccy of Bruno : black and white pied face sitting with big brown eyes pleading - that was me sold - even with his dog aggression, he was just too gorgeous.

Convinced hubby that he was the one, he arrived straight from his previous home, clearly terrified, we took him out in the car to get goodies, and from the second night he was in our bedroom, on our laps and basically ruling the roost!!

Never regretted it ever - even with the aggression - he attacked a JRT 2 weeks after we got him as escaped out the house whilst i was bringing the shopping in and at that point I did think "what have i done" but there was no way he was going back...

He is just such a character and a better dog for my little family i couldnt find. The icing on the cake was how amazing he was when Luca arrived.

He is an adored dog.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5