Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 03:40 PM

House training problems!

...this is really starting to do my head in now.

Alfie is now 19 months old.

Always been house trained.

Suddenly over the last few weeks he has decided that actually he isn't fully house trained anymore..........

He is going out enough times a day for an adult dog.

Today for example....

He gets up at 9am (he has a crate).
Goes outside and does a wee and a poo.

He puts himself back in his crate at about 9:10am.
The door gets shut.

He then wakes up again at about 12 noon.
Again he goes out for a wee and a poo.

I was with him until about 1:30pm when I went upstairs and he was downstairs with mum.

I then went down at around 2:30pm as my aunty had arrived and we were all in the living room until about 3pm when mum notices a poo in the dining room.

He CLEARLY was not desperate.
There was NO sign he needed/wanted out.
And this must have been in that hour I was upstairs as I was with him the rest of the time.

Now I know he isn't the biggest fan of going outside, but he is getting better and now I just tell him to go pee, and he wanders out, does what he needs to do, then comes back in.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy is he now doing this?
There is no need.

I also can't really train him to let me know if he needs out, as he doesn't want to go outside as it's wet etc, so he would never do that anyway!

Help please? Really starting to do my head in....
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Is he weeing? Or only pooing?

The wees could be a UTI. The poos could be sone sort of bowel upset. There could be a medical reason why he can't hold it, so a vet check could be a good idea.

Are you cleaning the areas with a proper biological enzyme cleaner? It could be that he had one accident and now the smell is enticing him to keep going indoors if it's not properly cleaned.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Back to basics. Treat him like a puppy but obviously toilet breaks don't need to be quite as frequent. Then watch him or crate when you can't watch him.

He may have been caught short initially and now it's just a habit that needs to be broken.
tilskie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-11-2011, 08:53 PM
I have the same problem with my boy, the door into the garden is left open alot so he comes and goes as he pleases but if it is shut he just does his stuff by the door, we have been back to basics so many times and if I am cleaning upstairs or something I put him in the crate and then let him out and use the clicker and tell him what a good boy he is etc etc but it aint working!! My girl is fine who has had exactly the same training, she will find me or bark by the door, I was hoping he would copy her but no such luck! I have never had trouble with a dog like this, it is very frustrating because somewhere along the line I am not making it clear to him
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by tilskie View Post
I have the same problem with my boy, the door into the garden is left open alot so he comes and goes as he pleases but if it is shut he just does his stuff by the door, we have been back to basics so many times and if I am cleaning upstairs or something I put him in the crate and then let him out and use the clicker and tell him what a good boy he is etc etc but it aint working!! My girl is fine who has had exactly the same training, she will find me or bark by the door, I was hoping he would copy her but no such luck! I have never had trouble with a dog like this, it is very frustrating because somewhere along the line I am not making it clear to him
try not having the door open so much, if its open most of the time he wont be used to having to wait
tilskie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Yes Marley I thought that so we have been closing the door alot more over the last couple of weeks and I keep letting him out and telling him "wee's in the garden!" and praise him when he does it, this morning he had been out in the fields and came in and deposited a present by the door!! I think having the door open so much though was a mistake.