View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-03-2014, 03:51 AM
Whether some here have children or not has nothing to do with the sad circumstances for the baby and the two dogs, that's just a low blow. How many times have I felt sick to my stomach for babies, children and the very elderly? Does it mean because I don't have a baby, children, or that my parents are still not at the very elderly stage of their lives make me less vulnerable to feeling emotion for them? The answer is no, it all comes down to each and every person, everyone is different and has different levels of emotion for different things. This is an all-around sad and tragic end for all three lives. How many times have we read on this forum on how the owners are responsible for their dogs and their actions? There can't be double standards, it's all or nothing. I agree with the OP, very sad.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
Admire your honesty regarding Tonks and the baby Catrin.Just goes to show even the softest,easy going dog can be effected by the arrival and presence of let's face it,something they've never seen in their lives.Actually Tonks reacting in that way,in your case,turned out to be a good thing.You were cautious and sought advice on how to handle the situation.Also the fact,you understood the signs she was displaying,weren't altogether positive one's.
Think,sometimes a dog's behaviour towards a baby or child is often times mis-read.Their interest in them being seen as cute,funny even,when sometimes it's anything but that
Hi In my original post I did mention that my step-daughter with her 2nd child,found that the dog was behaving oddly,and she at first thought to rehome the dog,but she never leaves them alone,and she has had her dog for over 6 years and loves it,but in this case, the owner had only just got the dog and didnt know its history.Gemini54
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-03-2014, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Well posted. So many on here (a dog lovers forum apparently) seem to blame the dogs for everything and you for even posting. Sometime - just one time someone will stand up for the dogs like you have and say actually maybe it was some human ADULTS at fault and not the dogs.
Who's blaming the dogs spot

I think most people on this thread understand it was a tragic accident, no one as far as I can see is saying the dogs are at fault.

Also heaping blame onto the parents is callous, don't you think they are suffering enough they have lost their child, nothing can be worse than that....

Having sympathy for the dogs over the baby and parents is as callous as you can get.

No it's not fair the dogs were put into a situation were they ended up having to be PTS... but comparing the death of a dog to a child, is beyond belief.

What would you have done with the dogs...who would take them on, or would you rather they spent the rest of their lives locked behind bars...the dogs are better off being euthanised, the parents have to live with their loss for ever........not comparable !!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

12-03-2014, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Dogloverlou View Post
Also as a side note this is the ONLY forum I've been apart of that seems to lack any kind of feeling for the dogs in question in these situations. I don't understand some viewpoints here at all, very strange considering this is a dog forum.
..I love dogs , mine are part of my family, but loving them and being part of a dog lovers forum does not exclude me from the realities of life..human life will take president over animal, a baby is dead, so are two dogs, I feel sad two dogs lost their life, I feel a real sorrow that a baby lost theirs, and ALL MY sympathies go to to parents, even if they were lax in their judgment .
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2014, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
..I love dogs , mine are part of my family, but loving them and being part of a dog lovers forum does not exclude me from the realities of life..human life will take president over animal, a baby is dead, so are two dogs, I feel sad two dogs lost their life, I feel a real sorrow that a baby lost theirs, and ALL MY sympathies go to to parents, even if they were lax in their judgment .
But the claims that "only parents" could understand or that somehow those of us who have different thoughts & views on the whole incident are "callous" or not able to feel sympathy for the parents/baby involved is as Timber pointed out, a low blow. How on earth someone can make those assumptions about someone over an Internet forum is bewildering.

I'm one of those "crazy" dog lovers that pegs my dogs life as equal to that of a human's. My dogs mean more to me then the stranger down the road. That, IMO, is natural, when my dogs are as important to me and as cherished as my immediate family. That doesn't, however, mean I'm unable to feel sadness and sorrow at a baby being mauled to death.

It works two ways here. Those who are "offended" that anyone should even speak out against the whole incident in the first place in a way that is perceived as "callous", but at the same time making equally offensive comments in regards to the posters with opposing views.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

13-03-2014, 09:46 AM
But the claims that "only parents" could understand or that somehow those of us who have different thoughts & views on the whole incident are "callous" or not able to feel sympathy for the parents/baby involved is as Timber pointed out, a low blow. How on earth someone can make those assumptions about someone over an Internet forum is bewildering.
I agree , but I never said that... we make assumptions about people on the internet by what they write, its how it works, why would it be bewildering,

I'm one of those "crazy" dog lovers that pegs my dogs life as equal to that of a human's. My dogs mean more to me then the stranger down the road. That, IMO, is natural, when my dogs are as important to me and as cherished as my immediate family. That doesn't, however, mean I'm unable to feel sadness and sorrow at a baby being mauled to death.

Same here, my dogs are as important to us as our family, that does not mean I am blinded by the fact if an incident happens, the dogs will pay the price, I am sure you can feel sadness for the death of a child in such circumstances, but from some replies here it seems ALL sympathy is towards the dogs, that in my book is callous,

It works two ways here. Those who are "offended" that anyone should even speak out against the whole incident in the first place in a way that is perceived as "callous", but at the same time making equally offensive comments in regards to the posters with opposing views.
Its nothing to do with personal views (from my point of view) its all to do with the impression that comes across that the only thing that matters is two dogs PTS... and a totally unsympathetic attitude to two parents losing their child, I used the word callous maybe Empathy is a better word, because there seems to be a lack of it for the loss these parents have endured.
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
I agree , but I never said that... we make assumptions about people on the internet by what they write, its how it works, why would it be bewildering,

Same here, my dogs are as important to us as our family, that does not mean I am blinded by the fact if an incident happens, the dogs will pay the price, I am sure you can feel sadness for the death of a child in such circumstances, but from some replies here it seems ALL sympathy is towards the dogs, that in my book is callous,

Its nothing to do with personal views (from my point of view) its all to do with the impression that comes across that the only thing that matters is two dogs PTS... and a totally unsympathetic attitude to two parents losing their child, I used the word callous maybe Empathy is a better word, because there seems to be a lack of it for the loss these parents have endured.
You see, I see the opposite, very little compassion for the dogs in this entire thread, and in my mind it's totally tragic that the baby & dogs all died needlessly. My sympathies are with all of them.

Regarding my "bewildering" statement, I meant that it's quite a huge conclusion to draw that some of us must not have children/lack empathy etc. Those are rather personal remarks IMO and bring nothing to the conversation in hand.

Art the end of the day I'm sure we are all on the same page, just coming at it from different viewpoints.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

13-03-2014, 02:57 PM
You see, I see the opposite, very little compassion for the dogs in this entire thread, and in my mind it's totally tragic that the baby & dogs all died needlessly. My sympathies are with all of them.

Regarding my "bewildering" statement, I meant that it's quite a huge conclusion to draw that some of us must not have children/lack empathy etc. Those are rather personal remarks IMO and bring nothing to the conversation in hand.

Art the end of the day I'm sure we are all on the same page, just coming at it from different viewpoints.

One or both of those dogs killed a newborn baby.

I have no sympathy or compassion for them having been euthanised.
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2014, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
One or both of those dogs killed a newborn baby.

I have no sympathy or compassion for them having been euthanised.

And you're entitled to feel how you want. As am I regarding the whole incident. I do feel sympathy for the dogs also.

Without knowing all the ins and outs, that's all I can say really.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

13-03-2014, 04:10 PM
You see, I see the opposite, very little compassion for the dogs in this entire thread, .
If a dog killed my dog I would have no compassion for it if a dog killed my child I would have no compassion for said dog....regardless of why it killed.

I would not be interested in the whys , if it killed my dog/ child, I would want it euthanised.
Page 5 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »