View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2006, 02:24 PM

Looking for recommendations for grooming equipment/manufacturers or websites!

Well I've started to trim Isla, thought I better as we start ringcraft next week - don't want to look like a pair of scruffs.

Anyway, I've got some equipment, thinning scissors, straight edged scissors etc but they ain't very good. So whilst looking on the internet for some quallity gear I found this website:

http://www.simpsons-online.co.uk/

Trouble is I've no idea how much I'd need to spend or what type is best!

Has anyone got any favourite manufacturers or websites they use all the time? Or anything on the above website they'd recommend?

Any suggestions are welcomed!
perrypooh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2006, 02:51 PM
I really like Christies they are very fast delivery and v friendly.As far as scissors etc go the prices can vary hugely but I find basic Roseline scissors are as good as any and are a reasonable price the thinning scissors they do are great, the ones that have one serated one straight blade we use them on our cockers and love them.I would recommend those thinners, think they are about £30 and some small foot scissors I payed about £25 for mine, but you don't need to spend that much as long as you get a good sharp pair.As for larger scissors, I have meteors they cost aout £160 and are very swish as I said the prices vary hugely and you don't need to spend that much.I would recommend going to a dog show(if you know retailers will have a stand there) or crufts where you can hold the scissors and get a feel for what you find comfortable, I forked out for a large pair of scissors once only to find I hated the feel of them and I have never used them!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by perrypooh
I really like Christies they are very fast delivery and v friendly.As far as scissors etc go the prices can vary hugely but I find basic Roseline scissors are as good as any and are a reasonable price the thinning scissors they do are great, the ones that have one serated one straight blade we use them on our cockers and love them.I would recommend those thinners, think they are about £30 and some small foot scissors I payed about £25 for mine, but you don't need to spend that much as long as you get a good sharp pair.As for larger scissors, I have meteors they cost aout £160 and are very swish as I said the prices vary hugely and you don't need to spend that much.I would recommend going to a dog show(if you know retailers will have a stand there) or crufts where you can hold the scissors and get a feel for what you find comfortable, I forked out for a large pair of scissors once only to find I hated the feel of them and I have never used them!
Thanks I'll look tham up. I am planning on going to Crufts again next year, so maybe it would be best to wait til then. But there's an open show I'd like to enter in December and don't want to leave poor Isla looking pants!
perrypooh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2006, 05:03 PM
To be honest I don't know anyone that finds roseline uncomfortable so they are a safe bet if you need something pronto to get her ready, just seen her pup pics,think she'll stop traffic trimmed or not!
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2006, 06:02 PM
I like Roseline scissors as well.
I find Simpsons and Diamond Edge for scissors etc.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Thanks! Roseline it is then I think!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by perrypooh
To be honest I don't know anyone that finds roseline uncomfortable so they are a safe bet if you need something pronto to get her ready, just seen her pup pics,think she'll stop traffic trimmed or not!
Thank you! Isla will probably be fine it'll be the gibbering idiot on the other end of the lead that will be the problem!