Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Getting lots of ideas ^^

If dogs can get a hold of veg in the wild do they ask random people to cook them???

Yes have you not seen them?

Why cook veg???

Because cooking, like freezing and pureeing breaks down the cellular walls and makes the nutrients available to the dog. Dogs do not have digestive enzymes in their saliva for this like herbivores.

Im finding my pup has a hearty appetite and will eat just about any fruit and veg gave her, her first bone today from pets at home its a nice big one kept her busy for ages even started getting angry with it when it wouldnt play with her o.0''
Who thought 50 years ago people would be discussing how to give their dogs their 5 a Day
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Since I changed Pereg's diet I have learned that some vegetables are better lightly steamed [I do not blend or mash them as she likes to pick out bits at a time] and others are fine raw, with things like courgettes and carrots [if the latter are not given whole as a snack] grated and mixed with her meals.

She likes a slice or two of raw kohlrabi as a snack, otherwise I dice and steam it, and she also likes raw cucumber, although I cannot really see what nourishment there is in it.

The latest thing to try her on has been raw sweet red peppers, which she adores, and which she also gets as a snack/treat.

I am now getting the feeling that Pereg is eating far better than I am!
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Various methods already mentioned can be used for breaking down the indigestable insoluble cellular fiber(roughage)in veg.--The role of the salivary enzyme amylas when grinding and chewing is to begin the process of breaking down starch in the mouth for digestion not for breaking down cellular fibre(undigestable fibre).--As dogs do not use this digesting process starchy veg. should be cooked eg. below ground root veg etc.--Nuetral veg that doesn't require cooking can be eaten raw eg. above ground greens etc.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Since I changed Pereg's diet I have learned that some vegetables are better lightly steamed [I do not blend or mash them as she likes to pick out bits at a time] and others are fine raw, with things like courgettes and carrots [if the latter are not given whole as a snack] grated and mixed with her meals.

She likes a slice or two of raw kohlrabi as a snack, otherwise I dice and steam it, and she also likes raw cucumber, although I cannot really see what nourishment there is in it.

The latest thing to try her on has been raw sweet red peppers, which she adores, and which she also gets as a snack/treat.

I am now getting the feeling that Pereg is eating far better than I am!
Do you know I have never tried my dogs with Kohlrabi, I will keep that in mind next time there is some around. Good idea thanks.

Mine like courgettes raw and steamed (I steam the ends when preparing courgettes for myself and let them have them, waste not want not) but I too do not cook root vegetebles for my dogs, they LOVE them pureed in their food or, if I am making say carrot juice for me, separately.

The only root vegetable I do not give raw is potato.

I also pulp up the stuff I throw like bean and pea pods and just recently they have had some pulped asparagus ends. Not sure if they are so keen on that though (just as well)

One of them will eat cucumber the other does not like it.

What they DO like a lot is grated ginger, just a touch in some dishes, they are not fans of fresh coriander but seem to like fresh parsley.

(personally I think my dogs may be goats in disguise)
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Dex will eat cooked carrots, peas and broccoli and loves them. Problems with corn; he can't seem to digest it, anyone else found this?
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Ever been to a sewage plant?

Sweetcorn and tomato skins do not get metabolised very well..........
hehe, was going to say - we can't digest sweet corn either lol
wormole
New Member!
Female 

28-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Just to add a note of caution about sweetcorn - The yellow kernals are fine - although they come out just as they go in, just like in humans But please be careful with corn cobs - the hard core can not be digested and can cause an intestinal obstruction. A discarded corn cob at the BBQ can be lethal if eaten by your dog.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Kallis View Post
I have tried this with my dog.Its not bad idea.But remember do not focus on this food only.It is optional feed.Other wise only relying on this feed may effect on stomach.
Millie gets a variety food she only gets the fruit and veg from time to time :>
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Getting lots of idea's from this thread.

Nyle likes tomato's, he' will pick them off the plant if given the chance. Infact, he'll eat pretty much anything.

Storm likes apple, but only if the skin is removed first, fussy ****** lol.

We've got a few different herbs growing here, will have to see if either of my 2 like any of them.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3