View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sally Moore
New Member!
Female 

05-04-2013, 10:55 AM

Go Compare Advert (dressing dogs up and using them as a sales pitch )

Hi everybody

I had to join a forum as I was just so disgruntled by what I saw on tv the other day.

he Go Compare advert with the poor dog dressed in that outrageous outfit that looks so unnatural.

what are your thoughts on dressing dogs up and using them as a sales pitch?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Hi Sally, first welcome to Dogsey

I've seen the advertisement, didn't particularly like it, but one has to ask:-
a) Was there any cruelty involved?
b) Did the dog look stressed out?
The producers also have lots of rules about violence, sex, swearing, etc. to abide by when making advertising films.

If anyone is not happy with an advertisement they can complain to the advertising standards authority, but I have a suspicion that they would not do anything in this case.

As I say I didn't like it, but remember that the producers are aiming at the lowest common denominator, i.e. the peasants out there who are so much under the influence of the media, television in particular.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2013, 11:24 AM
I too saw this advert and felt very uncomfortable watching it - I felt angry but couldn't really work out why - but you're right it's that outrageous and unnatural outfit and humiliating a creature in that way. I'm sure the dog has no idea but I just think it looks horrible.

Originally Posted by Sally Moore View Post
Hi everybody

I had to join a forum as I was just so disgruntled by what I saw on tv the other day.

he Go Compare advert with the poor dog dressed in that outrageous outfit that looks so unnatural.

what are your thoughts on dressing dogs up and using them as a sales pitch?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2013, 12:59 PM
I liked it and I have been known on special occasions to "fancy dress" some of my dogs. Not all though as I would never put an item on a dog that didn't enjoy it. When our old Rosie was "dressed" for Christmas she loved it and all the attention she got, but try and put something like that on Mollie ? Absolutely not she would be miserable.

The dog on the ad didn't look miserable to me.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2013, 02:21 PM
I think you'd have to watch the making of the advert before making a judgement on it.

If the dog was happy throughout (and it probably got a lot of fuss and cuddles) then not really a problem.

Humiliated? Doubt it. Dogs don't think that way. Hopefully s/he enjoyed every minute of it
JamieWilson
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-04-2013, 02:37 PM
The dog probably enjoyed the fuss or i'm sure it wouldn't be in that situation.
I've seen many dogs at fundraising events for dog charities dressed up, as long as the dog is happy then I don't see a problem.
Pep_Sounds
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-04-2013, 04:18 PM
I would expect if the dog is a used to doing filming/photo/event work then it is more than likely to have an owner/trainer who has worked with it to introduce items of clothing slowly and with consideration of any effect it has on the dog's temperament/mood.

I don't see it as so very different to people leaving harnesses on their dog in the home, or my putting coats/rugs on my girl when the weather requires it, and even at the moment as she is in season, much of her time indoors she is wearing doggy pants (though of course I also give her plenty of "naked" time too to allow her to clean herself).

She walks and runs around in these things like they're not even there, or rather they are an extension of herself. She does not try to remove them, and when putting them on, actually positions herself to make it easier to get on, like lifting her head high to let me put her harness or coat on, standing at stretch to let me fasten it under her belly, and even lifting her back paws to let me fit her coat's elastic leg tabs more easily.

Of course she is accepting of these things because I have introduced them to her in a controlled environment and in positive way, and enjoys them because of the praise and fuss given when putting them on. I'm not sure I'd ever feel the need to dress her in a costume like the one in the commercial, but I have seen people with their pets in costume in public, such as our training classes, and charitable events and generally they are very well adjusted creatures with wonderful temperaments.

As Losos already said, it does come down to whether any cruelty was involved and whether the dog was being made to perform/wear a costume under stress. I understand there are strict regulations regarding the treatment of animals on-set - I wonder if it is possible to look up the requirements that need to be fulfilled in order for film companies/photographers etc to work with animals in this way via the ACTA website?
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2013, 04:30 PM
I wasn't fussed about it, though I thought the dog looked a bit silly, it didn't look unhappy to me
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Oooops I thought it was rather cute
Is the dog Harvey from the power of advertising ad?

I love the Go Compare ads I love the way they can take the p**s out of themselves
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Oooops I thought it was rather cute
Is the dog Harvey from the power of advertising ad?

I love the Go Compare ads I love the way they can take the p**s out of themselves
Don't think it's Harvey Nippy.........might be wrong though!

I think that any dog used in advertising is a doggy actor, and actually lives the life of riley with endless attention and treats. This particular one makes me laugh to be honest

There was a lot of fuss a while ago about a wonderful advert which featured a singing dog.......the fuss was about a short clip showing it with it's tail down and shaking. The dog was acting to order for goodness sake Why do people say "ohhhh how clever when they teach a dog to beg, play dead, cover face with paws, dance, etc. etc. ad infinitum, but then throw their hands up in horror when a dog is shown doing something to order in an advert
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »