Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2006, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by b-eye
bit confused,, think of your own hair ,, if it is full of knots/mats then you wash it ,, its going to be a whole lot harder to get those knots out,, so we always brush through the coat completley before a bath, makes it easier to wash and when it comes to drying there wont be any knots to get out all you will be taking out is undercoat that you want out i.e we take the shoulders out to give us a pear shape,,
normally when I groom without bathing, which we only ever do about once a year usually just feet and face) i use a fine mist spray before i use the brush this is on every layer,so as not to break the coat, youre right never brush dry but i would make sure all the knots are out before the bath,, how often do you wash the dogs?? constant washing also strips out the natural oil from the coat,
hope ive explained it a bit better
Huggles
B-eye
Aha, now I understand a bit better!

I bathe Esau as and when he needs it - it works out to around every 2 months or so on average, but it depends on what he's been up to! He is a 'mud-lover' and also rolls in things he shouldn't, little monkey . . I only use a really mild, no-tears puppy-shampoo on him, nothing harsher.

I tend to use a spray bottle to dampen the coat for usual groom-outs, as you do for your OES. If I have bathed him then he is groomed out whilst he is still dripping - I get nearly as wet as he is, but it does make it easier to get the mats/knots out! I do have a blaster but I've rarely used it - I'm told this can help 'blast' out knots??
theduke
New Member!
Female 

09-08-2006, 12:33 AM
Everyone who has problem with double-coated dogs, PLEASE, try master grooming tool. It removes SOOO easy and fast all loose undercoate. Just unbelivable! Fantastic!You can get it at petedge.com.
Here is the link.
http://www.petedge.com/jump.jsp?item...ID=1810&KICKER
The price is only $9.99 (as this is the wholesale place). But the result is for professional grooming salon prices!!!Actually, they use this tool there.
If the link does not work, serch by item number TP515
I have adopted yellow lab 2 months ago, and was shocked with the degree of shedding. I tried every possible brush available in pet stores. I even tried defurminator (50 some $!). Nothing worked. One day, our dog trainer showed me this brush, and I could not believe what it had don to my Duke. Of course, there are also coarse coat. This one I now remove with groomzoom rubber brush from from Petsmart.
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 01:22 AM
Originally Posted by PONlady
Having found a few mats on Esau, I gave him a bath last night and settled to groom him out . . YIKES!! He was like FELT underneath the top coat!! It took me FOUR HOURS to sort him out! (Oof my poor shoulders!)

As it's only been a week since his last groom-out, I can only asume the hot weather has induced him to get rid of his undercoat . .

He is my first long/double coated dog - is this the norm? Can i expect this to happen every summer?
Hi,
having owned 5 Alaskan Malamutes that I showed and Bred,
with bitches they blow coat twice a year but have known some bitches that blow only once a year and others more for them its when they come into season as for the dogs all of mine have ever blown once a year.
and when they are blowing coat it will take you a couple of weeks to get all the old coat out, with each dog I would spend a couple of hours on each getting quite a few bags full of coat and when I had enough undercoat I took it to get it spun which weigh in at a Kilo cost a $100 thats aussie dollars and had a jacket made out of it and I wove 4 scarfs so dont waste his hair keep it until you have a kilo and make something that will last and will bring back memories when our 4legged love ones go to the bridge
theduke
New Member!
Female 

10-08-2006, 03:20 AM
China,
What a great idea! The dog picture on your profile is a bullterrier, right? My girl Betta (a white bullterrier) passed away on May 8 this year. I miss her so much. Now I adopted a yellow lab and foster a pitt bull.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-08-2006, 09:22 AM
my 2 also have the undercoat, and Cariad, being long haired, has been leaving 'cotton wool' everywhere she goes for a while now. She is brushed out regularly but within half an hour looks like she hasn't been touched.
One thing I do when they have a bath is after I have shampooed and rinsed I then put on conditioner and comb them through with this still on as it makes it easier to get the tangles out, I also spray on detangler when I am combing them out after I have rinsed everything off. You need the muscles of a wrestler and the patience of a saint to do mine, but it does get a lot of it out.
Good idea about keeping the hair, I have often thought what a nice warm jumper/scarf/hat/gloves it would make but don't know of anyone in the UK that would spin it for me.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Lovely idea - my OH had a Pyrenean and his family had ajumper made out ofhis hair.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by theduke
Everyone who has problem with double-coated dogs, PLEASE, try master grooming tool. It removes SOOO easy and fast all loose undercoate. Just unbelivable! Fantastic!You can get it at petedge.com.
Here is the link.
http://www.petedge.com/jump.jsp?item...ID=1810&KICKER
The price is only $9.99 (as this is the wholesale place). But the result is for professional grooming salon prices!!!Actually, they use this tool there.
If the link does not work, serch by item number TP515
I have adopted yellow lab 2 months ago, and was shocked with the degree of shedding. I tried every possible brush available in pet stores. I even tried defurminator (50 some $!). Nothing worked. One day, our dog trainer showed me this brush, and I could not believe what it had don to my Duke. Of course, there are also coarse coat. This one I now remove with groomzoom rubber brush from from Petsmart.
That looks just like a coat king. I have one of them and it is wonderful on my Setters and Goldies!
b-eye
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-08-2006, 07:08 PM
sadly I cant use anything like that,, we have to keep the undercoat IN,, not strip it out, so our only method as mentioned before is time and patience,, teasing each not out with fingers then gentley coming through, even the idea of putting conditioner on the coat --which i totally agree would help cant be done as we must have """harsh"" coats, so our grooming sessions are always very time consuming but worth it when you get a knot free doggie at the end,, even if i have got a bad back when finished LOL
Huggles
B-eye
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by theduke
China,
What a great idea! The dog picture on your profile is a bullterrier, right? My girl Betta (a white bullterrier) passed away on May 8 this year. I miss her so much. Now I adopted a yellow lab and foster a pitt bull.
Hi Duke,
yes its my little China at 8weeks old the picture was taken on her first day with us. They are the biggest clowns in the world and now cant picture my life without one by my side or in bed LOl
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf
my 2 also have the undercoat, and Cariad, being long haired, has been leaving 'cotton wool' everywhere she goes for a while now. She is brushed out regularly but within half an hour looks like she hasn't been touched.
One thing I do when they have a bath is after I have shampooed and rinsed I then put on conditioner and comb them through with this still on as it makes it easier to get the tangles out, I also spray on detangler when I am combing them out after I have rinsed everything off. You need the muscles of a wrestler and the patience of a saint to do mine, but it does get a lot of it out.
Good idea about keeping the hair, I have often thought what a nice warm jumper/scarf/hat/gloves it would make but don't know of anyone in the UK that would spin it for me.
try to find out where there are spinner and weavers they have Ass. so it should be to hard to find will try to find one for you.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >