Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 11:56 PM

Create Your Own Crossbreed

Say for a moment that you are suddenly ordained 'King/Queen of the dog world'. Unlike mere mortals, you are able to create your very own crossbreed without the negative health issues and unpredictable litters that occur from crossing breeds in the 'real' world. You would be able to say which 'traits' you wanted from each breed, knowing with certainty that these would appear in all the pups within the litter.

What breeds would you cross and why?

I would breed a Border Minhund (Border Collie, MinPin, Vallhund) It would be intelligent like all 3 breeds and have the willingness to learn/train/work of the Collie & Vallhund. It would be bouncy & human orientated like a Collie and want to be doing something constantly. It would be very active like all 3 breeds whilst still retaining the 'lap dog' behaviour of my MinPin It would have the temprament (cheeky, fearless, friendly) of my MinPin but less mouthy. Aesthetically, it would be somewhere between the size of a MinPin & Vallhund with the same coat/colourings as the Vallhund. It would have the body type of a MinPin (Slender, elongated but still sturdy) and the same facial structure. It would excell at agility & Obedience.

What would everyone else 'create'?

(I really hope no one takes this the wrong way & it sparks a huge argument. It was just something daft I was thinking about on my walk this evening! )
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2010, 06:50 AM
I would cross the Pharaoh hound with the collie and add in a strain of african wild hunting dog. It would have the elegant lines of the Pharaoh hound, but the longer coat and broader frame and obedience of the collie, but then would have the beautiful colouring, flag tail and vocalisations of the wild hunting dog.

I would call them Painted laughing dogs.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2010, 06:57 AM
I think I would do border collie x golden retriever, intelligence, stamina, willingness to please and a great family pet
Luckypirate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2010, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
I think I would do border collie x golden retriever, intelligence, stamina, willingness to please and a great family pet
My bf has a rescue collie x golden. He's gorgeous! He's got the coat of a golden but a very collieish face.

I personally would love maybe a Sprocker or a Austrailian Shepherd x Lab.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Just thinking about my own dogs, a Slovak crossed with a Lab. Dog would probably be black and wirey in coat, more like a GWP in build, have the hunting abilities and speed of a Slovak and the steadiness, retrieving skills and soft mouth of a Lab. Of course in the real world you could just as easily get bad qualities of both breeds coming through....would be nice though!
murph
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Awesome question!- thats what this forum is about- not bitching and arguing about here-say.
hmm.. The dog I had when i was ten was a irish setter-collie cross and was the best dog to ever live!!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
I would cross the Pharaoh hound with the collie and add in a strain of african wild hunting dog. It would have the elegant lines of the Pharaoh hound, but the longer coat and broader frame and obedience of the collie, but then would have the beautiful colouring, flag tail and vocalisations of the wild hunting dog.

I would call them Painted laughing dogs.
Oh no----I know a pharaoh hound cross collie and it is a nightmare----even with the african addition not for me!

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Probably I'd recreate Tassle's Trip Weimeraner, springer, GWHP and lab. Maybe a different more weimeranery colour but otherwise ideal.

rune
cassassin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-05-2010, 10:12 AM
I couldn't say I would "create" these, because sadly I have already seen some of these "creations" up for sale!

Siberian Husky crossed with a Beagle - Would have the beautiful coat of the husky, but in a tri-colour or lemon/white lol They would be one of the most hair-brained, erractic dogs ever, but how could anyone resist having a "Huggle"? XD

There was a litter of Buskies for sale in the local paper. Border Collie x Husky? Nope. Bichon x Husky? Nope. Bull Terrier. yah. Bull terrier crossed with a Husky.

X___x
alady??
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Good thread....

I would cross an Irish Wolf hound with a Malamute:

The size and long legs and back and great tail carraige from the wolfhound, the ears, gorgous eyes and coat and build from the Malamute, the laid back nature of the hound. But would leave behind the prey drive and love to chase they both have

Then I could have the ultimate wolfalike xxx the Irish Mute
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >