Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k_azu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-06-2013, 02:04 PM

Applaws puppy food

Has anyone tried Applaws dry food for puppies? I was planning to start my new puppy on it, but am a little bit worried about the amount of protein in the food. The label states:
Protein 39%, Crude Oils and Fats 22%, Crude Fibres 4%, Crude Ash 8.5% Calcium 1.6%, Phosphorous 1.31%, Carbohydrates <21.5%.
I know that there's a difference between good and bad proteins so technically these should be "good" ones as they all come from chicken and not rice or some other grains... I am still worried though I know I want to feed grain-free food and Applaws seems to be cheaper than Orijen and Acana...
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-06-2013, 03:57 PM
I put our collie on this when we first got her.
She was biting her paws and flanks constantly, obsessively chasing her tail, her tummy got quite red and her digestion was pretty bad, she had lots of wind and loose stools.
She has been like this on every conventional dog food except her vegetarian 'ami' dry kibble but applaws was without a doubt the worst.
Probably excellent for dogs that don't handle grain very well and the ingredients look promising but a disaster for us.
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-06-2013, 05:43 PM
P.s. I don't think there is much, if any protein in grains.
I believe they are used as a carb source, chicken and rice for example.
Non meat sources of protein would be lentils, nuts, seeds, beans and soya.
Sariska
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by k_azu View Post
Has anyone tried Applaws dry food for puppies? I was planning to start my new puppy on it, but am a little bit worried about the amount of protein in the food. The label states:
Protein 39%, Crude Oils and Fats 22%, Crude Fibres 4%, Crude Ash 8.5% Calcium 1.6%, Phosphorous 1.31%, Carbohydrates <21.5%.
I know that there's a difference between good and bad proteins so technically these should be "good" ones as they all come from chicken and not rice or some other grains... I am still worried though I know I want to feed grain-free food and Applaws seems to be cheaper than Orijen and Acana...
There's a huge amount of protein in Applaws and not suitable for all types of dogs. Grain free and high meat content doesn't mean it would suit your dog perfectly. You can experience some food alergies, loose stools, scratching. I have tried it for my akita it doesn't work for us at all. To choose the best dry food get a small amounts and get your best one.
redowl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-06-2013, 05:21 PM
I used Applaws puppy and now have my 7 year old and 1 year old on the Adult . I think it is good ratio of meat and veg and is an excellent food.