Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2011, 10:57 AM

Worse day of my life - Phoebe had a torsion

shes ok now, but ive had never been so scared in my life, i thought i was going to lose her.
I came home from work at lunch and gave phoebe a small mug of her kibble and then made my lunch, i then gave her the crust of my toast - this is all normal i do it most days.
About 10 mins later she kept trying to sick but nothing was coming out then she started to get bigger and bigger and looked like she had ate a beach ball. i phoned vets and told them i was on my way and drove like something crazy to vets - everything got in my way it was the school rush i went through red lights and zebra crossing with people on them, i truely didnt care about any one of those people i was getting to the vets. i was crying and beeping my horn. Arriving at the vets my best friend was waiting at the door for me (she works there) and sorted my car out while i ran in. vet was ready and withing 10 mins phoebe was in prep and on the table within 30 mins. I then realised i was stood in the vets crying in my pyjamas but i couldnt care less - i was asked to leave and they thankfully allowed my best friend to take me home. I finally heard back from the vets after 3 hours. The surgery had gone well !!!!! there was no tissue damage so they hadnt had to remove any of her gut, but i was all very red and angry due to lack of blood circulation. They emptied teh contents of her tummy and were shocked to find all the kibble was full and so were the toast crust!!!. Her tummy has been pinned to something to stop it happening again. The vet has told me the next few days are still touch and go as it was a major surgery, but she seams well. She has to stay at the vets till friday and im not allowed to go and see her - and this is breaking my heart.

Thankfully a friend saw phoebe eating a few years ago and taught me all about bloat as she knew it would happen one day. I owe everything to this friend now as she has saved my baby. Ive tried it all over the years to slow her down - nothing has worked.

Ive been given 2 feeding options from the vet, to really wet the food and feed it to her a spoon at a time, and if i feel like being even more safe i can turn it in to porridge. she also has to now be supervised for an hour after eating and no snacks and kept very calm around feeding time. Ill do it all

Im not yer sure what the recovery period is like after this surgery but ill find out on friday.

Im sat here crying as its still so overwhelming that i nearly lost her.

if you dont know what bloat is - learn!! it may save your dog
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2011, 11:03 AM
just thought ild add as this tells you alot about my baby - she didnt notice when i got her lead to take her to the car she was so happy and thinking we was going on a walk and she greeted all the vets and staff with a waggy tail and wanting a scratch behind the ears - it was like she didnt know how close to dying she was. They are also having to keep her highly sedated at the vets as she wants to play and bounce around her kennel. She truly is mental!! but my god i love her
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Oh how terrible - huge great (((hugs))) for you and massive healing {{{{{vibes}}}}} on their way to poor Phoebe. xXx
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Oh how terrible - huge great (((hugs))) for you and massive healing {{{{{vibes}}}}} on their way to poor Phoebe. xXx
Thankyou xxx
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Poor Phoebe Well done for spotting it and acting so fast Its something that is never far from my mind.

Fingers crossed for a quick recovery xx
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
Poor Phoebe Well done for spotting it and acting so fast Its something that is never far from my mind.

Fingers crossed for a quick recovery xx
Thankyou. Ive always been good in a crisis - but i really fell apart durin this. Im going to be watching her like a hawk now and so paranoid when shes eating. I hope she like porridge
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Aw well done for taking such quick action.
So glad the surgery went well, wishing her all the best for a quick recovery.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2011, 11:35 AM
oh no poor pheobe, glad you spotted it quickly, everything crossed here she makes a quick recovery xx
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2011, 11:46 AM
vet has just phoned and tells me phoebe is acting the fool in her kennel and has eaten her breakfast very well. He says if she still seams fine tomorrow i can bring her home as she may well settle better at home. i have to feed 4 meals a day and no walks other than toilet trips for 10 days and no off lead for 3 weeks as she has been "well and truly unzipped" thats his words. im so relieved
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Hope Phoebe is soon back home and settled, sounds like she really gave you a huge fright.
Get Well Soon Phoebe
xx
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »