View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Keybeagle
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-06-2011, 08:10 AM

Puppy Hurt Shoulder, Still Worried After Vets!!

Morning all

I wont bore you with all of the details because I am sure it has happened a million times. Basically our 8.5 week old beagle pup was play fighting last week and injured his front shoulder. A midnight trip to emergency vets and our own vetsb the next day resulted in a very expensive bill and a diagnosis of sprained/strained shoulder. Neither vet thought an Xray was needed and sent us home with painkillers after giving him an injection.

This happened 4 days ago and for the first 2 days he was putting abit of weight on his leg and hobbling along (we do try and limit his activity obviously), abit whiny but the vet said to expect this because he is a puppy and a Beagle at that, who are not known for their bravery! However the last 2 days he has refused to use his leg at all! He just carries it along as he hops around on 3 legs

All of the websites say this is a good sign of a break but he isnt showing most of the other symptoms like licking, it isnt swollen and he will let you touch it. My wife, who is the animal person (owning a horse and dogs all her life, I am just the worrier lol) says it is normal for them to just use 3 legs and hold the other up if it is injured. I also would imagine that with a break he wouldnt be eating as much, looking for mischief and he would be alot more immobile. I am sure he wouldnt even let me touch it aswell but I just worry!

We have managed to change his routine appointment to tonight so we willofcourse get him looked at but as above I just worry incase he is suffering in silence

What do you think? Am I worrying for no reason? I appreciate I should trust my vets but with no xray I fear they may miss a break but I dont want to put my pup through an xray etc if not really needed and just to satisfy my worrying as such.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 08:31 AM
If your worried there is no harm in a re-visit to the vets for them to look at again.

Also and this may not be the case, so don't quote me on in, but there is such a thing as a drama queen although I wouldn't of thought a 8.5 week old pup had figured out ...ahhhh limp and get attention

Best of luck xxx he sounds delightful
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
If your worried there is no harm in a re-visit to the vets for them to look at again.

Also and this may not be the case, so don't quote me on in, but there is such a thing as a drama queen although I wouldn't of thought a 8.5 week old pup had figured out ...ahhhh limp and get attention

Best of luck xxx he sounds delightful
I agree - a puppy that young wouldnt be carrying the leg for nothing. I would revisit the vet with your concerns. They cant speak for themselves, we have to do it for them.
Keybeagle
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the advice really appreciated, although it hasnt done much to stop me worrying

Yeah I know what you mean about "drama queen" and honestly the vet thought he was making a meal out of it but it is this carrying of the leg he is doing in the last 2 days that has got me concerned. Like you say, I am sure he wouldnt do it for attention but I am hoping that if it was broken he would be abit less eager to move?

We are at the vets this evening so he will definately get it looked at then. I suppose an x-ray is the only way to be sure. The appointment is at 6pm so I guess he will have to go in for the night

Thanks again for the advice
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by keytiger View Post
Thanks for the advice really appreciated, although it hasnt done much to stop me worrying

Yeah I know what you mean about "drama queen" and honestly the vet thought he was making a meal out of it but it is this carrying of the leg he is doing in the last 2 days that has got me concerned. Like you say, I am sure he wouldnt do it for attention but I am hoping that if it was broken he would be abit less eager to move?

We are at the vets this evening so he will definately get it looked at then. I suppose an x-ray is the only way to be sure. The appointment is at 6pm so I guess he will have to go in for the night

Thanks again for the advice
Just realise you said ...shoulder...sorry really not with it today as I have real experience with doggy shoulders (my old girl has a damaged shoulder) get them to check for dislocation, also the muscles around the shoulder as they tend to tighten real quick after an accident, if this is the case ask about hydro-therapy which will loosen the muscles in no time or some physio you can do at home, but only the light easy ones you are comfortable doing yourself
Keybeagle
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Just realise you said ...shoulder...sorry really not with it today as I have real experience with doggy shoulders (my old girl has a damaged shoulder) get them to check for dislocation, also the muscles around the shoulder as they tend to tighten real quick after an accident, if this is the case ask about hydro-therapy which will loosen the muscles in no time or some physio you can do at home, but only the light easy ones you are comfortable doing yourself
Thanks again

Dislocation was a thought of mine aswell but I was hoping between 2 vets that have seen him that one of them would have felt it was dislocated, maybe not though..........you see this is why I worry lol

Thx aswell for the tip re hydro-therapy, I will definately ask about this while I am there but I do have a feeling they will want to xray him first. Its wierd because he is sat here rolling around on his back next to me chewing his teddy, when I feel his good leg it feels like there is something to it as such but his bad shoulder leg is just hanging and really soft. He allows me to touch all joints in his leg and shoulder and straighten and bend his leg but then again he is on painkillers so who knows!

I guess I will just have to worry for another few hours before we get to vets Seriously you wouldnt know anything was wrong with him until you saw him walk and carry that leg. He is either hard or putting it on As we have had his father for the last 5 years I am totally inclined to say putting it on but as has been said, surely an 8 week old puppy doesnt know how to get sympathy?

Thanks again, really appreciated
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by keytiger View Post
Thanks again

Dislocation was a thought of mine aswell but I was hoping between 2 vets that have seen him that one of them would have felt it was dislocated, maybe not though..........you see this is why I worry lol

Thx aswell for the tip re hydro-therapy, I will definately ask about this while I am there but I do have a feeling they will want to xray him first. Its wierd because he is sat here rolling around on his back next to me chewing his teddy, when I feel his good leg it feels like there is something to it as such but his bad shoulder leg is just hanging and really soft. He allows me to touch all joints in his leg and shoulder and straighten and bend his leg but then again he is on painkillers so who knows!

I guess I will just have to worry for another few hours before we get to vets Seriously you wouldnt know anything was wrong with him until you saw him walk and carry that leg. He is either hard or putting it on As we have had his father for the last 5 years I am totally inclined to say putting it on but as has been said, surely an 8 week old puppy doesnt know how to get sympathy?

Thanks again, really appreciated
Best wishes for your re-visit xx Reah used to dislocate her's on a regular basis (well she only has half a shoulder) and I pop it back, she never showed much sign of discomfort either, with her hydro toned up the muscle to hold the shoulder betterm but it is a good method of freeing a shoulder, the hydro people know what they are doing and its fun for the dog too
mistygrey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Hope your little pup is doing a little better to tonight and that your vet app goes well. Would be great to hear how he is doing.

We are in same situation with Pippy, our whippet pup (9 months). She was running (at speed)on Saturday and flew into a statue in the park. She has been limping/hopping since saturday. Vet thoroughly examined her and will do X-ray on thurs if no better and she is on painkillers and antibiotics for the small cuts she has. She is fine in herself too but not wanting to put pressure on her back leg. This is the third 'running' accident she has had.....
Keybeagle
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Awe sorry to hear about Pippy I hope she picks up in time to save herself (and your pocket lol) from some xrays on Thursday Thanks for the kind words too, its just so hard to see them in pain and not knowing how to help them isnt it!

Sorry for not updating sooner, the night has passed so quickly! We went to the vets earlier and again Woody was examined. According to the vet there are no serious fractures or dislocation that he can see or feel (phew), but agreed that it would probably be a good idea to get a couple of xrays done to check for any minor breaks or damage due to the fact that he wont put any weight on it (and he was wriggling about making a full examination hard).

Unfortunately Woody isnt insured yet either so we are taking the full brunt of this one financially I wouldnt mind, both of our other dogs are insured and have been for 5 years and we was/are getting Woody added on this week..........typical lol

So, credit card in hand lol he will be wisked down to vets tomorrow for some X-rays. He is being starved now and as you might expect not so happy about it lol I have to take him in at 9am tomorrow and they will ring me when he is ready to come home, about 3-5pm. I am sure its going to be a scary day for him but hopefully it will be for the best!

I will ofcourse update tomorrow evening when we will hopefully know more. Funnily enough he has started limping on it again tonight lol (typical) but I still wont be happy until hes been xrayed.

Incase your wondering what the little terror looks like, here is a pic of Father and Son

Thanks again
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Fingers crossed for tomorrow xxx

They are both gorgeous xxxxxxxxxxxx
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »