Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2010, 04:37 PM

Boarding Kennels

Hi All

I went to look at some boarding kennels in the Leeds area yesterday as i want to put Kobe and Honey somewhere when we go on our trip to Edinburgh in August, previous dogs that we have had have stayed at this particular place but that was around 6 years ago so when passing thought i would call in and have a look.

Well i was disgusted by the dirtiness and coldness of the place and didnt particulary like the owner didnt seem very caring at all and although its not peak season there was only one poor dog in their. I was very upset last night by what i saw and definitely will not be sending my precious dogs there. I know you cant compare this place to my Pet Stop but i do expect cleanliness. Anyway will look around at more next weekend.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by kobebear View Post
Hi All

I went to look at some boarding kennels in the Leeds area yesterday as i want to put Kobe and Honey somewhere when we go on our trip to Edinburgh in August, previous dogs that we have had have stayed at this particular place but that was around 6 years ago so when passing thought i would call in and have a look.

Well i was disgusted by the dirtiness and coldness of the place and didnt particulary like the owner didnt seem very caring at all and although its not peak season there was only one poor dog in their. I was very upset last night by what i saw and definitely will not be sending my precious dogs there. I know you cant compare this place to my Pet Stop but i do expect cleanliness. Anyway will look around at more next weekend.
Was it really that dirty with only one dog? Of course low numbers are normal this time of year, for dogs and cats. If you are saying its bad you shouldnt worry about coming on here and moaning about if first, your first port of call should of been telephoning the licensing environmental health officer and complain to him. he is the only one that can do anything. Id suggest you do that. These places will never be forced to improve if people complain and actually do nothing,
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Was it really that dirty with only one dog? Of course low numbers are normal this time of year, for dogs and cats. If you are saying its bad you shouldnt worry about coming on here and moaning about if first, your first port of call should of been telephoning the licensing environmental health officer and complain to him. he is the only one that can do anything. Id suggest you do that. These places will never be forced to improve if people complain and actually do nothing,
To be honest im not sure what to do about it, i didnt think it was right, i didnt like the man but im no expert at boarding kennels, i have always sent kobe and honey to My Pet Stop and its expensive but its inside, clean and very nice which goes with the price, my OH said that the kennels in question werent good but i shouldnt be comparing it to my pet stop, of course i not doing that but how do i know if its not just me being a snob if you like.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by kobebear View Post
To be honest im not sure what to do about it, i didnt think it was right, i didnt like the man but im no expert at boarding kennels, i have always sent kobe and honey to My Pet Stop and its expensive but its inside, clean and very nice which goes with the price, my OH said that the kennels in question werent good but i shouldnt be comparing it to my pet stop, of course i not doing that but how do i know if its not just me being a snob if you like.
I think you will find your gut instinct is correct. Telephone the environmental health office of the council where the kennels are, and share your concerns. They are obliged to follow up on all complaints, and it will be anonymous, you have nothing to worry about. Even if the conditions are deemed "acceptable," they are not to you, and thats what matters.
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Oh i am so sorry i recommend this place if its as bad as you say now.Please accept my apoligies. I am very shocked! It has always been such a good kennel in the past the owner was very passionate about all the dogs in her care. I am in touch with a friend now who works there and have passed on you views i will let you know what the outcome is watch this space.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Vodkalass View Post
Oh i am so sorry i recommend this place if its as bad as you say now.Please accept my apoligies. I am very shocked! It has always been such a good kennel in the past the owner was very passionate about all the dogs in her care. I am in touch with a friend now who works there and have passed on you views i will let you know what the outcome is watch this space.
Hi Vodkalass

Dont worry it wasnt the one you recommended, we going to that one to have a look at the weekend, it was Whitegates Boarding Kennels inbetween Leeds & Harrogate.
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Oh thank goodness for that i was so worried that something awful had happened up there. I hope its ok for you after all this must go apologise to my friend now feel slightly stupid