Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Yes I dont think it is 100% the GP's fault
I was v lucky the internet existed before I started looking for my first dog
Most people I knew got their dogs from a litter someone else in the street had. I would have thought it posh to buy a dog from a pet shop, and of course wrongly assumed that they must be good because they are in a pet shop
an advert in a paper would have been another place to go

I wouldnt have had a clue that there were 'breeders' out there let alone how to contact them

Where I live now there is about a 50:50 split between people who have paid extra for a pedigree dog, they have looked at breeders and got a dog that has had a crufts champ in its line - and when I look deeper every one of them is dodgy - breeding 2 litters a year from the same bitch, over breeding, offering bad advice and breeding dogs with temprament problems - but these people think they have done the right thing
The other 1/2 round here tend to say pedigree dogs are inbred and a little mental and have rescues, dogs from the guy down the street or farm dogs

I would say round here there isnt one single person who has what would be considered a 'well bred dog' I would struggle to know where to go to get one - another reason I rescue

So the GP needs education - its not their fault
Most people are not spending so much time on internet forums looking into things - they just want a dog
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 10:13 AM
My experience has shown me that most dogs that come from puppy farms are not KC registered.
Apart from calls wth for information from with in my breed, locally anyone who buys a dog wll ask me for information after they have bought their pup. If only they had asked the questions before and not after.

Even after pediree dogs expossed, I was asked just before Christmas about a pup that had been bought by a neibour
A caviliar cost £400 pounds had a pedigree and was registered supposed to be vaccinated.
It was registered with DLUK the pedigree was a bit of paper with names on and no paper work for the Vaccination.
They paid an extra £50 for the guy to deliver to their home so they did not see the Mother or the conditions the pup was bred in.
It was all the KC's fault.

I show and ocassionally breed
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 10:40 AM
maybe a program should be done on show dogs, and how they live as normal healthy dogs too. show the good fun side to showing? because i know peoples perceptions are the dogs cant get dirty, they dont go out, just get paraded about in the public. some i dont think this will ever get done because this would mean all the anti-pedigree people eating their words

i might make my own film
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 10:52 AM
I have two dogs entered at Machester on Thursday.
If you had seen them yesterday The Lakeland was playing with a pup and the two of them had a mud bath and the pup was pulling the older dog around by his face hair
The Stafford does not have much hair to pull and being Black Brindle a quick shower night before will do.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
If you had seen them yesterday The Lakeland was playing with a pup and the two of them had a mud bath and the pup was pulling the older dog around by his face hair
The Stafford does not have much hair to pull and being Black Brindle a quick shower night before will do.
oh god tell me about it!! daphni has the most gorgeous white long coat, and daphni wasnt lovely and white after her walk on sunday! of course all the snow had melted so everything was a big puddle of mud! she loved it, she loves nothing more than to get dirty, and doesnt seem to mind that then takes an hour of my time bathing her either the things we do for them
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
maybe a program should be done on show dogs, and how they live as normal healthy dogs too. show the good fun side to showing? because i know peoples perceptions are the dogs cant get dirty, they dont go out, just get paraded about in the public. some i dont think this will ever get done because this would mean all the anti-pedigree people eating their words

i might make my own film
oohh...can I be in it???? Pleeeeaaassseeeeeee????
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Yep, I have two entered for Saturday. We had a lovely walk on the beach before work and they are currently covered in sand and muck. They will get yucky every day this week and then on Friday, before we set off they'll have a once over with a slicker and be good as new! I'm pretty sure they have a better life than most dogs, as do all my friend's show dogs!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
oohh...can I be in it???? Pleeeeaaassseeeeeee????

Yep, I have two entered for Saturday. We had a lovely walk on the beach before work and they are currently covered in sand and muck. They will get yucky every day this week and then on Friday, before we set off they'll have a once over with a slicker and be good as new! I'm pretty sure they have a better life than most dogs, as do all my friend's show dogs!
yeah you can be in it maybe we should all film our daily lives with our dogs, how they live everyday, and then film at a show, commentating as we go, then we put all our footage together and make it into one long film?

i think show dogs do lead a good life, i know how well mine is looked after anyway. im not slating people that dont show or people with cross breeds, but rescues are full of cross breeds, and i dont know if im right here but surely there are more crosses, than pedigress in need of homes? (i have a feeling i may get shot down now )
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 11:03 AM
i would love to see that too
tbh crufts dosent do itself any favours in that department
i rem the last one on tv the rough collie lady showing how she groomed them and saying 'of course they dont run around because if they exercised like that then all the goodness from their food would not go into their coat' that made me sick and i am glad lots of show people arnt like that
a mud bath works wonders, if not for the coat then at least for happy dogs
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yes I dont think it is 100% the GP's fault
I was v lucky the internet existed before I started looking for my first dog
Most people I knew got their dogs from a litter someone else in the street had. I would have thought it posh to buy a dog from a pet shop, and of course wrongly assumed that they must be good because they are in a pet shop
an advert in a paper would have been another place to go

I wouldnt have had a clue that there were 'breeders' out there let alone how to contact them

So the GP needs education - its not their fault
Most people are not spending so much time on internet forums looking into things - they just want a dog
I'd like to echo this, when I was looking for my first dog I had no idea about all the issues involved, I only knew the basics i.e. not to get a puppy from a shop and to see it with it's mother. Beyond that, not very much at all. I was looking for a family pet, I presumed that pedigree dogs cost more because you were paying for the fact they might be shown. I had no idea about all the health testing that is necessary and as I didn't want a show dog it didn't cross my mind to contact breed clubs.

As I couldn't rescue because of having young kids and couldn't find a small cross breed, I ended up with a pedigree dog and I, like most of the GP, thought that because she was KC registered that actually meant something.

In defense of this report I think that one of it's key points is that the GP need to be educated on how to find a healthy puppy and personally I think that this is one of the most important things it could achieve as it that would naturally lead to the end of puppy farming and in-breeding.

J.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I have to say I agree with this, based on what some of my customers have said. A lot do seem to think that breeders who show lock the dogs in a shed between shows and that they are just puppy machines. Sadly I know of two breeders who ARE like this, but that's out of goodness knows how many show breeders, and most I know love their dogs and give them a wonderful life.

I also agree, the amount of peopel who say and its not only the result of that programme) that "show dogs" are just possessions to be paraded round a ring in the pursuit of a piece of paper.. ofcause there is a minority of breeders /peopel who are like that, (one of my breeds top kennels is "that " person, but the majority of people who show their dogs do so because they love it , and they also love their dogs, and treat them like dogs..

The KC does have it's faults, but I'm pretty sure that most puppy farmed dogs are either unregistered or DLRC. At the end of the day, how is the KC supposed to know the ins and outs of the dogs it registers? It's an online form - they aren't psychic.
Yep, agree with this too.

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
i would love to see that too
tbh crufts dosent do itself any favours in that department
i rem the last one on tv the rough collie lady showing how she groomed them and saying 'of course they dont run around because if they exercised like that then all the goodness from their food would not go into their coat' that made me sick and i am glad lots of show people arnt like that
a mud bath works wonders, if not for the coat then at least for happy dogs

Yep, you will get some people like that, just liek in all walks of dog ownership.

Being a breeder and exhibitor does not automatically give a person intelligence

You can hear good and bad advice from the old and the new in in dogs!!
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »