Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
vickinicks
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2007, 01:31 PM

pressure sores

Our Mastiff has got pressure sore and bolding of the fur where he lie's, we've tried every kind of bed and had nop joy some he eats others he won't lie on. Although it doesn't seem to be causing him any pain I don't want it getting worse any help .
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

26-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Have you tried the Memory Foam ? These are great for dogs with joint problems , pressure sores etc. If you google memory foam dog beds it will come up with loads. Amazon also sell them. Hope this helps.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-06-2007, 05:02 PM
My large Bulldog male had pressure sores when we got him beds didn't make a huge difference to be honest only lasted a minimum of a week because he chewed them up and still does if we buy him beds of any sort. I found confining him to rooms that only had soft carpets and rugs helped a great deal helped further by adding some extra padding underneath him with the use of Fleece Throws and Vet Bed.
Keeping clean where he had the sores helped a great deal too, I bathed the pressure sores once a day with warm water and a clean soft flannel and applied Sudocrem to those areas to stop any dirt getting into them as they used to bleed when we got him, even though he never seemed to be in any pain, I'm almost sure he was as they looked terribly sore.
I also stopped him just lying on one side all the time, making him get up and change positions to prevent futher pressure to the sores he had.
They healed up completely within a few weeks and haven't returned mainly because I don't allow him to lie on bare non - covered floors - even though wooden floor coving is great and easy to keep clean I found it chaffed his sores and made them a lot worse than they already were if he happened to rub himself along hard floor. I know it's hard with Large breeds to stop them getting these but they are avoidable by making sure they are enclosed within an area where they can't lie on polished hard floors.
Try and keep him enclosed where the floors are not too hard, throw plenty of fleeces down if your not sure giving him something soft to lie on, make him change positions if he appears to be lying directly on the sores and keep them clean if they happen to open up - they heal very quickly if you do.

Hope this helps.