Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-04-2007, 12:27 PM

Schnauzer grooming beard

I've been grooming my Bear by myself for a year now, and I'm convinced I'm not doing it right. She does get recognised as a Schnauzer, but when I compare her to her pictures and videos of when she was groomed by a professional, her beard just looks wrong.

Is there any one who can write a guide to cutting around the beard on a Mini Schnauzer for me?

Thanks.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Hi Mike it is hard to describe without demonstrating
For a casual look I do the eyebrows first laying them one at a time over my hand cutting from the centre by the nose to the corner of the eye, then I do the side of the beard on the jaw line by cutting from the eye to the corner of the mouth ( don't go right to the corner of the eye, cut a little way out or you will get a mean expression)
For the length of the bead I comb the beard forward and cut the ends off then comb the two sides to the middle above the nose /hold with one hand and trim with the other finally doing little cuts up into the beard length to get a natural not a blunt look
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	new edition 1.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	3651  
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-04-2007, 07:11 PM
I've only had 2 lessons on grooming Schnauzers ever, and I know I make a lot of mistakes. I really need someone who will teach me. I don't want to bug my breeder any more..
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by I lubz Mini Schnauzers View Post
I've been grooming my Bear by myself for a year now, and I'm convinced I'm not doing it right. She does get recognised as a Schnauzer, but when I compare her to her pictures and videos of when she was groomed by a professional, her beard just looks wrong.

Is there any one who can write a guide to cutting around the beard on a Mini Schnauzer for me?

Thanks.
Do you have a picture of your Miniature Schnauzer after you've groomed her, please?
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-04-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm currently uploading a video of her when she was groomed by a professional over a year ago... She looks so much better when she's been done by a pro..
perrypooh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Lie your mini on his back, and find 3 little lumps with whiskers sticking out of them, one will be on each cheek, the other under his chin, starting at the outer corner of the eye take a tail pin comb and make a parting from the eye to the lump on the cheek, then follow it round to the one under his chin, then round to the other cheek then up to the other eye (outer corner again)hold the hair you've parted with the whole beard and anything that hangs on the opposite side of the parting you trim/clip away. With your mini in a standing position comb the beard down and look head on at the face, if there is any hair bushing out at the outer corners of the eye take a pair of thinning shears and pointing them towards the floor trim the excess hair away. Make a v in between his eyes with the thinning shears and from the inner corner of the eyes make a clear strip up towards the top of the skull to ensure your dog has two eyebrows, not one (the thickness of the strip will depend on your dogs skull shape, some eyebrows sit better with a narrow strip, some look better with a wider one, try to follow how the hair naturally sits to decide) Hope this helps. (let us know if you need any additional help on the eyebrows, I shape mine similar to minihaha but I go from the corner of the eye to the nose just because it feels more comfortable that way for me)
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2007, 08:49 AM
As Bear is a very lively wee dog, it was difficult for me to have a good look at her!

From what I could see, I think her beard is quite short and full at the sides (at her cheek bones).

Here's a couple of before and after pictures of a Miniature Schnauzer I did a while back:

Ensure you separate the eyebrows so as she doesn't have one long eyebrow, and I would thin (with thinning scissors)Bear's beard a bit from the cheeks so it's blended in to her face.

Also, be careful not to cut the beard hair under her chin too short or it'll be hard to get that Miniature Schnauzer look.
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-04-2007, 09:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ATofLc2iho

I want her to look like she does in this video.
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Also, I think I'm gonna her all her hair grow long, and then take her to a professional. That way when I get her back, I can see how the pro has cut her again in more detail than an old video.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >