register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What type of dog do you prefer?
Working type. 21 30.00%
Show type. 6 8.57%
Dual purpose. 37 52.86%
Don't have a strong choice. 6 8.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 11 of 28 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
An example please.
Basset hounds, bulldogs, standard daxies.

rune
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by valandra View Post
I dont like the look of most show dogs therefore i would never choose one or want to own one. I like the more active working types
"Most show dogs"...most breeds are shown, and most don't have a breed split, so that limits you quite severely to only a few different breeds if you "only" like working dogs.

I guess your Spaniel comes from a working kennel then?
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
"Most show dogs"...most breeds are shown, and most don't have a breed split, so that limits you quite severely to only a few different breeds if you "only" like working dogs.

I guess your Spaniel comes from a working kennel then?
No i said i like the working type and look. Not specificily a working bred dog. But yes mine is from a working dogs. I love GSP's but i would never show mine, i would work it. Even if it were good enough to show i still wouldnt. Im not into any of that. I wouldnt pay extra for a show bred dog but would go the extra mile for the working types. I would never get a show spaniel as i dont like the look of them.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 11:30 PM
No i said i like the working type and look. Not specificily a working bred dog. But yes mine is from a working dogs. I love GSP's but i would never show mine, i would work it. Even if it were good enough to show i still wouldnt. Im not into any of that. I wouldnt pay extra for a show bred dog but would go the extra mile for the working types. I would never get a show spaniel as i dont like the look of them.
Fair enough.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Fair enough.
All in all its the working dog 'look' i like.
Hunter
New Member!
Male 

18-01-2010, 11:42 PM
I don't hunt any more. My dog loves to go out in the field and flush pheasants. I really like the fact that he was trained to do it. Even though I don't actually shoot the birds.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
lol you could always call that breed type?

for me its gota be both, work and show, whats the point in aiming for anything less?

I think people set there opinions in these threads on a few breeds, in this thread, labs, springers and collies,
but you have to keep in mind there are hundreds of breeds out there, are show or working better in those breeds?
what are my dogs? show or working? or both?
Doesn't look like a Lab...exactly. What is the point in having function without the form? besides, Labs are not supposed to be speedy rockets that are highly strung. They should be calm and steady and have the build and type that makes a Labrador, a Labrador! you can have the best of both worlds with a dual purpose dog.
Totally agree with these two quotes! What is the point, if you're going to do something then why aim for anything less than excellence? And excellence to me equals dual purpose!

Probably, but I'm still in the "life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog" camp.
Ooh I like that! Might have to pop that on me website!

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
But would anyone who works a lab (by work I mean a gamekeeper or whoever who works the dog for his living, not to compete in a trial) ever go for a show bred lab? I would assume not? They will go for the working lines lab that is proven, not in trials but in actual day to day work. When someone needs a dog to do a job they will always go for lines that are proven with work - not risk the chance of buying a show line dog that doesn't have the oomph for work.
Not an example about Labs, but I just wanted to add that before Isla's breeders moved to France some of her dual purpose Springers had homes with a couple of game keepers. They preferred the more methodical work of the dual purpose ones as they found many of the faster working types were missing well hidden birds due to them being bred for fast hunting.

Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Devils Advocate:

Is it easier for some breeds to be dual purpose than others, due to the kind of work they do?
I think so yes, but it'll always be down to those that breed these dogs to decide their breeds fate. Sadly too many people have their own rosettes and trophies in mind to stop and consider what they're doing to the breed in the process.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Yes her feet were like that as i pulled them outwards to put the treats on her. She doesnt move once i put her in a position. I have many pics on my phone where her feet arnt to the side but cant be bothered at this time of night to upload them to make a point.

I dont think working dogs are badly constructed and think they are a lot better than show dogs. I like the working type and look. Like i said its a personall preferance and to be honest it doesnt really matter what you say to try and sway me to the other side , its not going to work as thats what i like. Its like milk chocolate, i love it but it dont matter how much you say Dark choc is better, i still wont like it
Im not trying to sway you, but you admitted yourself that people dont recognise your dog as a Springer, and she does have turned out feet and elbows as well as a wide front. This being TYPICAL of working Springers, I ask again (look at the othe pics I posted too) why do you "prefer" the look of a working dog? Its not a critisism, its a genuine wuestion, I cannot undestand how anyone can "prefer" the look of dogs which have conformation like that, especially when many critisize breed like Bulldogs.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Basset hounds, bulldogs, standard daxies.

rune
I know a few Bassetts that can work, all show bred, we board a few Bulldogs that run us off our feet too. Standard Dachs do work also in their native country.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Totally agree with these two quotes! What is the point, if you're going to do something then why aim for anything less than excellence? And excellence to me equals dual purpose!

Ooh I like that! Might have to pop that on me website!

Not an example about Labs, but I just wanted to add that before Isla's breeders moved to France some of her dual purpose Springers had homes with a couple of game keepers. They preferred the more methodical work of the dual purpose ones as they found many of the faster working types were missing well hidden birds due to them being bred for fast hunting.

I think so yes, but it'll always be down to those that breed these dogs to decide their breeds fate. Sadly too many people have their own rosettes and trophies in mind to stop and consider what they're doing to the breed in the process.
Fair enough (bit in bold) but that is just your opinion Again, I can really only talk for working collies, but excellence means a dog that is up to doing the job, has power to shift great droves of sheep, has the stamina to work on a heather covered hill for hours at a time and the brains to be able to work things out for itself when working away from the shepherd. Looks do not even come into it.

Having said that, I do think breeders in most breeds should ideally be aiming for a dual purpose dog. That would be what I would aim for if I were to ever breed GSDs (which I won't be doing).
Page 11 of 28 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »