Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wallp
New Member!
Male 

17-02-2014, 11:44 AM

German Shephard being destructive when left again

Hi,
we have 2 gsd's 1 is 8 the other 2, the young one has been a very destructive dog from being a puppy,she seemed to have stopped being destructive but yesterday she had chewed our leather settee both dogs are kept together.
we've always had dogs but this is the first to be so destructive,we can't understand why she's started again,also she knows she's done it
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by wallp View Post
Hi,
we have 2 gsd's 1 is 8 the other 2, the young one has been a very destructive dog from being a puppy,she seemed to have stopped being destructive but yesterday she had chewed our leather settee both dogs are kept together.
we've always had dogs but this is the first to be so destructive,we can't understand why she's started again,also she knows she's done it
When does she do it, how long are they left alone?
wallp
New Member!
Male 

17-02-2014, 12:40 PM
Hi she has started to chew again when we were out for 3 hours ,this is the first thing she has chewed in months.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by wallp View Post
Hi she has started to chew again when we were out for 3 hours ,this is the first thing she has chewed in months....
....also she knows she's done it
Hello Paul, this behaviour sounds as though it could be a displacement activity because your dog is feeling stressed about being left. If this is a new behaviour maybe something upset her recently while you were out.

You could try making sure your dog has a walk and play before being left to provide mental stimulation and maybe separate the dogs and leave her with something safe she can lick/chew like a well filled kong.

She doesn't 'know what she has done' any behavior that make you think this is likely due to your dog observing and reacting to how you react on seeing the damage.
pitboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-02-2014, 06:57 PM
This sounds like the puppy is bored... Before you leave the house try going on a nice walk or play a running game with the puppy before u leave then leave plenty chewing toys when u leave u don't have to separate the dogs
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Plenty of exercise before leaving them is my advice. I don't think it's necessary to keep them apart but if you love your sofas maybe keep them out of that room?
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-02-2014, 08:35 PM
Sorry to hear about the destruction. I know that is frustrating.

I'm assuming there is a reason you don't like to use kennels? That would be my first suggestion, but I know some dogs don't do well in kennels. I would at least try leaving the destructive dog in blocked-off area of the house such as a bedroom or bathroom.

As others have suggested, I would increase the exercise of both dogs. For example, if they both get a half-hour walk each day, I would increase that walk to at least an hour. Also add some good off-leash time so they can run around even more.

I'm sure you're already doing this, but make sure to give them a mental challenge every day such as obedience training or puzzle-type toys or maybe walking with a dog backpack. Also leaving appropriate chew toys out for them as long as you know they won't fight over them. It helps to rotate which toys they have available so the toys are "new" and interesting. Also switch up the types of treats and goodies you use to fill their puzzle-type toys.

Hope that gives you some ideas! I recently wrote a post on tips for keeping dogs calm when left alone. Maybe that will give you some more ideas: http://www.dogids.com/blog/how-to-he...en-left-alone/
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2014, 10:32 PM
I would never ever leave the dogs with full reign of the house when I go out. One room is enough and I think they mostly go to sleep then. Too many stimuli when they are loose in too many rooms.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2014, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by Lindsay&River View Post
Sorry to hear about the destruction. I know that is frustrating.

I'm assuming there is a reason you don't like to use kennels? That would be my first suggestion, but I know some dogs don't do well in kennels. I would at least try leaving the destructive dog in blocked-off area of the house such as a bedroom or bathroom.

As others have suggested, I would increase the exercise of both dogs. For example, if they both get a half-hour walk each day, I would increase that walk to at least an hour. Also add some good off-leash time so they can run around even more.

I'm sure you're already doing this, but make sure to give them a mental challenge every day such as obedience training or puzzle-type toys or maybe walking with a dog backpack. Also leaving appropriate chew toys out for them as long as you know they won't fight over them. It helps to rotate which toys they have available so the toys are "new" and interesting. Also switch up the types of treats and goodies you use to fill their puzzle-type toys.

Hope that gives you some ideas! I recently wrote a post on tips for keeping dogs calm when left alone. Maybe that will give you some more ideas: http://www.dogids.com/blog/how-to-he...en-left-alone/
Excellent advice. These are 'working dogs' and they need a lot of exercise and also mental stimulation. Having owned 2 in my time I would say they were never happier than when they were being told what to do and doing it and getting it right!

I've never had a destructive dog but have always been in a position to walk my dog for hours every day. Even my little minpin has been out for 3 hrs today (in two stints) they don't do much other than curl up and sleep when they've had that much exercise and fun.
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2014, 11:51 PM
So glad to hear you agree! I like to leave my dogs loose in the house, but only after they earn it and that typically takes a few months or longer.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >