View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Blimey, most of those artists are alien to me, except Metallica whom i've had the pleasure of seeing a couple of times (I was into heavy metal in my teens).

I love 80's music (early to mid 80's mainly) as I grew up listening to Adam Ant, Bananarama, Soft cell, Heaven 17 etc.
Nowadays I just listen to the radio so I basically like what I like, no matter the genre or artist, but i'm a hip hop/RnB person at heart. I'm also fond of Motown.

I would say my fave artists are Madness, Macc Lads, Usher and LL Cool J.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Hello Leanne

Bauhaus, magazine, cocteau twins, cure, bunnymen, dead kennedy's, etc, are basically from the early to mid 80's.

I used to listen to all these guys, also mainly via John Peel
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-03-2012, 10:34 AM
I remember going to see The Cocteau Twins, they had a reel to reel thing on the stage doing the backing and it broke !...that was one short gig.

Best I've seen live had to be Tom Waits and Elvis Costello, the Costello gig had a huge big wheel on stage with the names of songs on it, he got people from the audience up to spin the wheel and choose a song, they then had to dance in a go go cage
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Hello Leanne

Bauhaus, magazine, cocteau twins, cure, bunnymen, dead kennedy's, etc, are basically from the early to mid 80's.

I used to listen to all these guys, also mainly via John Peel

Bauhaus and magazine baffle me, i've heard of the rest of them. By Bunnymen do you mean Echo & the Bunnymen?
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 05:05 PM
My musical preference - Northern Soul - well, there's a surprise............
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Bauhaus and magazine baffle me, i've heard of the rest of them. By Bunnymen do you mean Echo & the Bunnymen?
Yes, or Echo and the Funbuns as I used to call em' great under rated band.

Originally Posted by Northernsoulgirl View Post
My musical preference - Northern Soul - well, there's a surprise............
My OH is big on Northern Soul, they all used to go to "all nighters" some of it I liked, usually the " turkey trotters". They really took their dancing very seriously.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by celli View Post
Yes, or Echo and the Funbuns as I used to call em' great under rated band.

My OH is big on Northern Soul, they all used to go to "all nighters" some of it I liked, usually the " turkey trotters". They really took their dancing very seriously.
And we still do I'm off to the Tower Ballroom in May for the week-ender. Can't wait.......KTF! respect to your hubs....
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 07:42 PM
I've enjoyed quite a few different bands (including Bauhaus) but at the moment I love IQ and YES and re-visiting Led Zep.
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Red Hot Chili Peppers
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by celli View Post
I remember going to see The Cocteau Twins, they had a reel to reel thing on the stage doing the backing and it broke !...that was one short gig.:
Was that gig in Scotland?

Just wondering because at the time I had a pen-friend (you could find pen friends with similar interests to write to
at the back of NME in those days) although I got to know him via a slightly different route, through someone I met at the Elephant Fair in Cornwall when I hitch-hiked down to see the Cure. He lived in Kirkcaldy and a little bit of unused memory makes me think he was at that Cocteaus gig and told me about it!

I saw the Cocteaus about 5 times in all,Royal Festival Hall in London being the most stupendous, and of course you must remember how Elisabeth Fraser used to beat her chest as she sang....

Dead Can Dance used to support the C.Twins and became esteemed in their own right - Lisa Gerrard being possessed with a very powerful and versatile voice.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >