Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 06:40 PM

Looking for very high protein tinned food

I've got to change Zena to a very high protein, smooth (gotta be smooth) tinned dog food (maybe puppy food?) as I have to roll it into meatball size. Anybody got any good recommendations please?? She's been on F4D kibble and home cooked, she does well on beef, better than chicken, but it's got to be a really good high protein so I don't have to feed much of it to keep the weight on her. Thanks!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I've got to change Zena to a very high protein, smooth (gotta be smooth) tinned dog food (maybe puppy food?) as I have to roll it into meatball size. Anybody got any good recommendations please?? She's been on F4D kibble and home cooked, she does well on beef, better than chicken, but it's got to be a really good high protein so I don't have to feed much of it to keep the weight on her. Thanks!

What does your vet say? Nature's Harvest and similar vacuum packed foods will be high in protein (when calculated by dry matter) but they are also high in water.

You would be better off adding some fat to her diet to keep weight on, so you could use atora suet to roll the balls in like meatballs.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-06-2011, 06:56 PM
JWB wet dog food puppy/junior is 30% protein.
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2011, 07:23 PM
If you have a food proccesser;have you thought about making your own pattie by cooking meat and fat then putting it in the processor to get a smooth consistensy.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
What does your vet say? Nature's Harvest and similar vacuum packed foods will be high in protein (when calculated by dry matter) but they are also high in water.

You would be better off adding some fat to her diet to keep weight on, so you could use atora suet to roll the balls in like meatballs.
Thanks for that, I'll check out the Nature's Harvest. My F4D salmon mousse which is 99.9% salmon should be high in protein I suppose, but it's a bit sloppy to roll into balls, and it won't go down as the vet wants, he wants a firm tinned dog food he said, but didn't say which one, and I didn't ask, he had so much to tell me I was too engrossed.

Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
JWB wet dog food puppy/junior is 30% protein.
That sounds good, thanks Lynn.

Originally Posted by rueben View Post
If you have a food proccesser;have you thought about making your own pattie by cooking meat and fat then putting it in the processor to get a smooth consistensy.
I've tried doing the meatballs with mince, but it's too "bitty", but I could get a food processor (something I don't possess right now) and mash it up more before rounding into balls. I made the mistake of adding that veg before I found out the food has to be totally smooth Plus I didn't want to give her just pure meat.

If I did my own using mince I suppose I can process that veg too to bind with it?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Chappie or Naturediet?
Hope you get her sorted x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 07:51 PM
thanks A. Chappie is very bland though, but if it's high in protein which I doubt, that'll be good because she woofed it down! It was all I had in the cupboard this afternoon but I'll get to the big pet shop tomorrow and check all these out. Thanks!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 07:51 PM
i know its a vet food ..but hows about the ali trays of their 'recovery' food?

http://www.royalcanin.co.uk/PDF/recovery.pdf

or.....

http://www.royalcanin.co.uk/PDF/gast...stinal_wet.pdf
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Just read about this on another site:
http://www.totalpetnutrition.co.uk/#/fat-boy/4551281374
Fat Boy food, for putting weight on dogs. It doesn't say if it's tinned, though.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
i know its a vet food ..but hows about the ali trays of their 'recovery' food?

http://www.royalcanin.co.uk/PDF/recovery.pdf

or.....

http://www.royalcanin.co.uk/PDF/gast...stinal_wet.pdf
Blimey, that looks good, protein 49%!!!! I wonder if I can buy that online, or if I have to go through my vet, which of course, I'll ask them first. Thanks Layla.

Thanks for your link too MM, much appreciated!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >