View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Vaccinations
Yearly Vaccinate 16 38.10%
Three yearly vaccinate 8 19.05%
other 18 42.86%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2009, 04:47 AM

Vaccinations

It is almost time for Louis' vaccinations (yearly he has being having them), since I have been on here I have read a few threads on vaccination not necessarily being done on yearly, I had never heard of this before, could you explain why you do or not do yearly vaccinations please.
Normally he gets these yearly
Distemper
Parvovirus
Hepatitis
Coronavirus
Leptospira
Bordella
Parainfluenza Virus
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Hi Emrad

Some manufacturers now state that immunity lasts more than a year for some vaccines. For example, Procyon vaccine claims a duration of immunity for parvovirus, adenovirus and distemper of four years. For lepto, parainfluenza and coronavirus they claim 12 months.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 03:01 PM
I have ticked other as after losing 2 dogs to auto immune disease at very young ages I would never routinely vaccinate again.
I always titre test to see if they actuall;y need the vaccinations you are about to give and have found its very rare they do need them.
The only one that doesn't last in thier system is lepto, but that only lasts around 3 months anyway and occasionally as long as 6 months. So really you can vaccinate for it but for most of the year they are not covered anyway. Also with lepto apart from being the vaccine most likely to cause serious reactions the vaccination only covers a couple of strains of it wheras there are many many strains.
I know the manufacturer are now admitting all this and looking at it to try and make it more effective.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 03:09 PM
I vaccinate mine yearly as this is what my vet advises. I do know that once my collie was ill when her vacc's were due and he said not to worry because they do last a little longer. I however prefer to get them done yearly for my own piece of mind.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Clicked other....

Mine have the first couple of years and then no more.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Puppy Vaccs only, Id never Ever go back to yearly, would go back to 3 yearly if i thought it neccesary
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Puppy Vaccs only, Id never Ever go back to yearly, would go back to 3 yearly if i thought it neccesary
Same here but my Vets don't like it and want you to start the 3 jab again! Is it just the same injection for 3 yearly I could just ask for that?
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Puppy vaccs and thats it!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by hayleybella View Post
Same here but my Vets don't like it and want you to start the 3 jab again! Is it just the same injection for 3 yearly I could just ask for that?
Hi Hayleybella

Some manufacturers now claim 3 or more years immunity for certain diseases so the dog shouldn't need to be re-vaccinated for these diseases before then. If in any doubt, you can contact the manufacturers of the vaccines your vet uses and ask them to tell you the duration of immunity.

Here are some examples:

Procyon DA2PPi/CvL
"Duration of immunity is 4 years for distemper, adenovirus (CAV 1 and CAV 2) and parvovirus and 12 months for parainfluenza, coronavirus and Leptospira interrogans serovars canicola and icterohaemorrhagiae."
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Inte...vL/-40883.html

Duramune DAPPi+L
"The duration of immunity is at least three years for the canine distemper virus, canine adenovirus and canine parvovirus fractions. The duration of immunity is at least one year for the leptospira fractions. The duration of immunity for the canine parainfluenza component is not known but may be less than a year."
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Fort..._L/-32669.html

Nobivac DHPPi
"A duration of immunity of at least three years has been established for the canine distemper virus, canine adenovirus and canine parvovirus vaccine components. The duration of immunity for the canine parainfluenza virus component has not been demonstrated, but an anamnestic response is produced in dogs given a revaccination one year after basic vaccination. Annual revaccination with the canine parainfluenza virus vaccine component is recommended."
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Inte...Pi/-29489.html

Canigen DHPPi
"A duration of immunity of at least three years has been established for the canine distemper virus, canine adenovirus and canine parvovirus vaccine components. The duration of immunity for the canine parainfluenza virus component has not been demonstrated, but an anamnestic response is produced in dogs given a revaccination one year after basic vaccination. Annual revaccination with the canine parainfluenza virus vaccine component is recommended."
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Virb...Pi/-34949.html
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 06:20 PM
I have all my dogs vaccinated...once. Same as the kids. If my kids don`t need re-vaccination yearly, why do the dogs?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >