Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 10:51 AM

Licking crusty nose

Over the last day or two I've noticed one side of Cain's nose was a little pink and now it's gone a little crusty. However he keeps licking like every 10 seconds so it's now formed a little scab.

I'm sure it's nothing major but I really need him to stop licking it so it can heal. I need it to heal quickly as he's going for his annual boosters and health check on Monday. I'm planning to change his insurance but if this is noted on his vet records no now it'll be considered "pre-existing" which is a right pain in thr backside. I mean it seems nothing but you never know when something might turn into something bigger so I'd rather avoid this bring listed on him notes.

Any idea what it good to put on it to help it heal quickly? Also how on earth do you prevent a dog licking him own nose...?!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Poor Cain - the trouble is when you don't know what has caused the irritation it is difficult to know how to cure it and it may be best to have your vet check it out.

Obviously it is almost impossible to stop him licking, and you don't want to put anything on there which might upset his tummy if ingested.

I would go along as planned on Monday and see what they say, but in the meantime you could try bathing it in salt water (one teaspoon per pint of warm water) every few hours, and that might reduce the irritation as well as helping with healing.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks I bathed it with salt water twice today now and it looks an awful lot better already. The first time removed the crust and the little scab and it all looks fairly good underneath, not even that pink. I've been giving him interactive toys to distract him, he seems to be licking it less now and he's not licking it in his sleep. Hopefully it's nothing much. I've also given him some Arnica to help it heal. I will mention it to the vet on Monday of it's not looking any better.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Gently dab some vaseline on the spot and immediately distract him - good luck at the vets on Monday
lolly2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Gently dab some vaseline on the spot and immediately distract him - good luck at the vets on Monday
Was going to suggest Vaseline too Used to use it on my old basset Georges nose it used to be a little dry in the cold weather especially when it was windy and once he started licking it used to crack so yes Vaseline always did the trick for him
Hope this helps x