View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2014, 01:00 PM
Perhaps that's why Bella has such short legs! There was me thinking it was because she's probably got a bit of chi genetic material in there somewhere!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2014, 02:31 PM
Tang it makes their legs LONGER, not shorter. They end up with this gangly, long legged appearance. Nigredo is an early neuter and he doesn't have that long legged/overtall look to him at all and is built solidly all the way through so it doesn't happen to all dogs.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2014, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Tang it makes their legs LONGER, not shorter. They end up with this gangly, long legged appearance. Nigredo is an early neuter and he doesn't have that long legged/overtall look to him at all and is built solidly all the way through so it doesn't happen to all dogs.
Oh right! I will go straight away and sit back on the know nuffink step!
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2014, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post

In bitches it does cause spay incontinency
i think you mean to say " could" there, having just lost my bitch at 13 years of age just before christmas she never had any issues with incontinence and she was spayed at 5 1/2 months of age.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Oh right! I will go straight away and sit back on the know nuffink step!
I shall accompany you as nobody knows everything!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2014, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by griff View Post
i think you mean to say " could" there, having just lost my bitch at 13 years of age just before christmas she never had any issues with incontinence and she was spayed at 5 1/2 months of age.
No it does cause spay incontinency in bitches-not all bitches, but I know my vets no longer do pre pubescent spays because of the high numbers of young bitches that have had it after spaying. My vets is a long established practice, who have vets who keep well up with scientific developments & treatment improvements. They do not recommend neutering puppies & now have a very low % of bitches with what the vets term spay incontinency.

My vets have no need for extra income generated by carrying out invasive surgery used as contraception. They promote responsible pet ownership, unlike the more commercial practices who do as much expensive treatment as possible.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2014, 09:06 PM
I think 7 months is too young to be spayed. Would it be possible to board the 2 boys until her heat is over?
From my experiences, all the male dogs I have come across who were spayed very young have very long gangly legs, less muscle tone, and look more feminine. I unfortunately don't have much experience with pre-mature spays, but can only imagine it would have the same effects on a female too. Hormones are so important in a growing pup/dog.
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I won't be having my boys done, one is 2 1/2 and is already bullied by all he meets. The other is one soon and I have been considering having him done as his behaviour towards the other male had become a bit confrontational and aggressive since she arrived. It seems to have calmed, but I'm anxious if she comes into season that it may return.

The bitch came over from Prague at 5 months with 10 others as part of a rehome from a breeder who became unwell and hadn't managed to sell on her pups. And the person who coordinated this is suggesting that SHE be fostered whilst in season, not sure what to do as she has lots of issues which I don't know whether this would make worse
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Timber, not one person has ever said that Nigredo has gangly legs. His legs are not overly long at all, actually. He's building muscle more slowly, but he is not yet done growing so that's all right as well.

He was 3 months when I got him, and was already neutered and fully healed so no telling when it was done. Granted I think you should wait a year or so in most breeds.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Timber, not one person has ever said that Nigredo has gangly legs. His legs are not overly long at all, actually. He's building muscle more slowly, but he is not yet done growing so that's all right as well.

He was 3 months when I got him, and was already neutered and fully healed so no telling when it was done. Granted I think you should wait a year or so in most breeds.
I don't remember saying anything about your dog. I was sharing my personal experiences with other dogs I've had here including my own dogs.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >