View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2010, 09:49 AM
I too wouldn't have her put to sleep. Having a dog with a high prey drive is hard work, you really have to put the work in and not let your dog off lead. I have a Patterdale terrier and she would have a cat or any small furry, it's part and parcel of her breed. I really read up on the breed before I decided to keep her. We now have a 50ft long line and she is as happy as my labrador when they are running round together. The thing is you know now and can work with her and have a good read up on her breed.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by lindamacdonald View Post
No, this dog was bought by my daughter when she was 19 years old, she had always wanted one. She moved out 2 years ago and left her with me, who is inexperienced with dogs. I tried to find another home for her a few times but to no avail.
What an awful experience for you, and the only thing you can do now is to pay all the bills and offer to replace the dog. Your dog would not have differentiated between a squirrel, a cat or a dog - it was a small furry - and your dog was only doing what was natural for her to do when her instinct kicked in. It is so easy to forget or not realise that many of our dogs have high prey drives and there is nothing wrong with this as long as you know what you have and can train appropriately.

It would be a shame if the dog suffered because of this distressing incident, but I don't think it means that she is a dangerous animal. My dogs would chase and kill small furries if they were allowed to and they are gundogs (good-natured, soft mouthed gundogs).

You say that you have tried to find another home for her in the past and perhaps this is what would be considered the best option for her, especially if you have found the whole thing too distressing and are unable to come to terms with what has happened. If you also do not have a strong desire to keep her it could be in her best interest longer term. The only thing I would say if you do this is to go through the breed rescue and and do your best to see that she has an appropriate permanent home. Good luck.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 01:19 PM
of course, it could be the court case will decide it? I take it the owner of the dead dog will take some action?
In this case, it would be wise to pre-empt the verdict and take immediate steps - such as using a muzzle when out, and signing up for a course with a good trainer. The Court might take a more lenient view if it is shown that you are doing something positive?
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
of course, it could be the court case will decide it? I take it the owner of the dead dog will take some action?
In this case, it would be wise to pre-empt the verdict and take immediate steps - such as using a muzzle when out, and signing up for a course with a good trainer. The Court might take a more lenient view if it is shown that you are doing something positive?
Thats a real possibility Claire - perhaps Linda should contact the lady to see if there is anything she can do, or offer, by way of reparation. There may be a way to avoid court action. Better to be proactive, rather than sit worrying and waiting for the axe to fall.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 08:10 PM
This is so very sad Linda and I do feel for you in this situation - however I have to echo what others have said about allowing your dog offlead in an area where other dogs are walked, even if it was your own garden the fact that your dog had access to anything outside the garden is enough to set off alarm bells.

Some time ago I worked for a kennels, and on a night when I was not there two huskys tore a Yorkie to pieces. The horror of it has stayed with me to this day, even though I was not actually there, so I can only imagine how you must be feeling.

Since then I have had very strong feelings about Huskys being onlead at all times, and perhaps muzzled. Hopefully your dog will not have to be put to sleep, but it may depend in the end on how the old lady and her family choose to pursue things.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 08:31 PM
... someone forgot 'deed not breed'
.. bitkin i could tell u about missing fingers and dreadful injuries from jrt's (and many other breeds) ..(insert rollie eye smilie coz mine isn't working)
.. sweeping generalizations from someone that doesn't know much about the breed.

i feel u just needed to tell that story again (another rollie eye smilie)
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
... someone forgot 'deed not breed'
.. bitkin i could tell u about missing fingers and dreadful injuries from jrt's (and many other breeds) ..(insert rollie eye smilie coz mine isn't working)
.. sweeping generalizations from someone that doesn't know much about the breed.

i feel u just needed to tell that story again (another rollie eye smilie)
I totally agree with you, Although I am also of the opinion that huskies are not an easy breed to own (from what I hear not experience, although please correct me if I am wrong) and this owner should know about the breeds traits and be dealing with them. No matter the breed I would not have it in such an area under no control for many reasons, one which includes the safety of Princess.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 08:51 PM
If this dog had been kept in the way that husky's are advised to be kept this would not have happened..

It's not the dogs fault it is OWNER error...

TO the OP....Do not blame the dog..YOU failed..not the dog..I am sorry if that is harsh but its the truth..its YOUR job to protect your dog..and that means to protect it from doing something in its breed traits too..had you kept the dog like the husky it is..this would not have happened..

The dog deserves a life..but it deserves a life where people understand the breed..

There is a reason most husky owners have 8 foot high fences..or 8ft high runs..and why they are kept on a leash..there will always be owners..who say.."not my husky, my husky can be off lead, my husky has great recall"..I am sure you WERE one of those owners..

Please learn about the breed NOW..and don't let it happen again..
Eddie'smum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Dear Linda,

I feel so awfully for you. I have say with respect to all other posts on here that if anyone owns a hunting dog, be it a gun dog, sheep dog, terrier whatever, they are all vulnerable to this event, I do think there has been an over emphasis on the husky breed here. I would strongly contest a control order to have her put down... but perhaps you might want to consider giving her up for adoption? To a suitable society/charity of course.

Obviously this is a terrible thing, a little old lady has lost her companion, a tragic event which I am sure you will compensate for knowing of course that money will never be enough. However, we must take the emotion out of this, your dog is not a "murderer" she was following her instincts, she certainly did not recognise the other dog as being another dog I am certain. And obviously now you will take all the necessary steps to ensure that this dreadful thing never happens again.

Please let us know how you are, and what you decide. Our thoughts are with you, I am sure.
(((hugs)))
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
If this dog had been kept in the way that husky's are advised to be kept this would not have happened..

It's not the dogs fault it is OWNER error...

TO the OP....Do not blame the dog..YOU failed..not the dog..I am sorry if that is harsh but its the truth..its YOUR job to protect your dog..and that means to protect it from doing something in its breed traits too..had you kept the dog like the husky it is..this would not have happened..

The dog deserves a life..but it deserves a life where people understand the breed..

There is a reason most husky owners have 8 foot high fences..or 8ft high runs..and why they are kept on a leash..there will always be owners..who say.."not my husky, my husky can be off lead, my husky has great recall"..I am sure you WERE one of those owners..

Please learn about the breed NOW..and don't let it happen again..
I think that is a little harsh Louise - the dog originally belonged to her daughter and she was left with it when her daughter moved out.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >