Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2013, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Hands off those spare scallops Nippy..........I asked first, and anyway if you are going to add black pudding that puts you way down the list!! Bleugh

Gnasher - I am not sure that it was wise to say that the orange part is not harmful to dogs. There are some documented cases of severe illness after eating this. (Dogs that is)
But the orange bit is only the roe - cannot see how this would cause any harm to dogs, unless they ate too much of it - it is very rich of course. I must google this to learn more!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2013, 11:38 AM
OK, have googled "are scallops poisonous to dogs" and really cannot find anything totally supportive of this argument. The consensus seems to be that they must be cooked, fair enough, and also that only a small amount should be fed at any one time. Again fair enough - this would apply to most things. I would not dream of giving my boys excessive amounts of any one food over and above their basic diet of raw meat. I adore scallops, but they are rather pricey, so it's highly unlikely they will ever get a look in in any case!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2013, 12:03 PM
I agree Gnasher any dog here would only get the smallest morsel
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Paul brought some scallops home from a diving trip yesterday and cooked them tonight. I hate seafood, he liked the raw one he had yesterday but hated tonight's.....possibly because he had to do all the cutting business first. I was gagging doing all the cleaning up! I know we're philistines!

Can I stuff them in a kong and freeze them? There's only four.
Catrin if you get anymore scallops you don't want I would suggest contacting a good local restaurant who should pay you well to take them.
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2013, 01:00 PM
I love scallops too, am salivating just reading this thread
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
Scallops are lush hand dived scallops on a pea cream with bacon icecream and parmesan foam Heaven! I lurve poncy food me
Pea cream? Bacon ice cream? Parmesan foam? Oh, my! Yuck!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Pea cream? Bacon ice cream? Parmesan foam? Oh, my! Yuck!!

No! Sounds YUM!!
tamalyn
New Member!
Female 

04-08-2013, 11:34 AM
yum, they do sound fab, not sure my jasper would get a look in, may cook them for myself lol
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
No! Sounds YUM!!
Haha... nope, still sounds yuck! I'm American and southern. I am used to lots of food many here would find yuck, I'm sure. In my defense.

I eat (love) broccoli cooked plain, no salt, nothing. Putting anything on it ruins it. We also drink bacon grease and Coke/Sprite mixes (if you drink liquor, I don't, it is added instead).

Eating fruits right off the bush/tree (or bush/tree they fell off) is common as well, dirt and all. Drinking buttermilk right from the carton, eating raw mushrooms. To you it's probably yuck, but not to me.

Some of my extended family also eats really yucky stuff like chicken feet (how can you...??), pig intestine, and cow tongue. The also eat hog maw and cow tripe (stomachs). Ewww.

Now THAT is yuck! Even I'd not touch that stuff.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
OK, have googled "are scallops poisonous to dogs" and really cannot find anything totally supportive of this argument. The consensus seems to be that they must be cooked, fair enough, and also that only a small amount should be fed at any one time. Again fair enough - this would apply to most things. I would not dream of giving my boys excessive amounts of any one food over and above their basic diet of raw meat. I adore scallops, but they are rather pricey, so it's highly unlikely they will ever get a look in in any case!
Any dog of mine would be very lucky to get even a sniff of MY scallops! However, I too have read conflicting stuff about whether they are 'good' for dogs or not and, in my case, I wouldn't take the risk purely on account of Bella being so tiny (and therefore not needing very much of anything 'bad for her' to cause an upset) I'm guessing perhaps one of the reasons they might make dogs sick is because people usually 'fry them'? I wouldn't choose to give any fried food to a dog. Having said that - street dogs here live on what they forage behind fish tavernas and I'm sure many a leftover scallop has been divulged by them. I always smile a little reading about 'suitable dog food' when I think how these thousands of street mutts live to a ripe old age eating everything and anything they come across.

But then I suppose by comparison our dogs are 'pampered pooches' really and their 'diet' has been dictated by us from day one. Much the same with humans. Take starving humans in very poor countries and I'm sure they don't calorie count or even think about nutritional value - just eat anything they are lucky enough to be able to get.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >