Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-05-2005, 10:29 AM

Working Terriers

Hello all,
as you know all i keep are terriers, in dog senses anyway. Polly is a JRt and was a born rabbiter, even though we keep about 4 as pets, confusing for her.
But Florrie is a Dandie dinmont terrier cross Westie, now i kno Westies were a pretty all round worker, its prey ranging from stable rats to wild cats, and dandies were mainly otter hunting dogs, but how do you get that instinct into them. Florrie has met mice and things in the yard, and she just plays witth them, she bounders around and yaps her head off.
Is this a good sign?
i swear, she is more of a herding dog then a terrier, anything that moves, she nips at it to get it mving.
Advice wanted pls
best wishes
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Hello Lu-1, if they are indeed down from working terriers, all the traits you are looking for will become self evident with maturity.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-05-2005, 06:49 AM
The prey drive is usually evident fairly early, especially in working strains. If she is chasing moving objects then it is there and, as HD said, it will develop further with age. The drive can be encouraged by throwing toys for her to chase. An instinct is just that: a natural, involuntary, impulse. If it is not there then, by definition, you cannot induce it. You can teach a behaviour so that it becomes 'almost instinctive', but it will not be instictive as such.