Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-09-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ruffles View Post
Shadowboxer and Wisiwig, please read again the guidlines of posting on this thread, you are entitled to offer Springergirl your thoughts, as we all are. I beleive there is a general and also a non dog topic area for off topic replies such as yours.

REMINDER: This thread is in one of our more serious sections - so please be -extra- careful not to post any off-topic replies. We aim to archive these sections as a useful resource. Thanks.
In case you didn't notice Shadowboxer is one of our Articles Editor and a Global Moderator - she's well aware of the rules thank you!

You sound like a troll - if you want to continue using this site please take a photo of your face next to a monitor with our website on screen. Send it full size to our site's email address.

Your account is closed until we recieve this.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2006, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by springergirl View Post
thanks very much jess for your response. can you come and train my sam . he isn't always bad and i suppose things came to a head this morning. he walks great in the garden, and on the green in front of the house. pays attention etc. but as soon as i head towards the field its pull, pull. if i change direction when he's pulling he walks on a loose lead back the way we've just come (even if we're heading back home), then if i change direction again he starts pulling . so we're constantly going over the same piece of road!!! he's not interested in treats when he's out...i've tried it with chicken and cheese.

tigger2....i do know what you mean about 'arcing', and he does do that to a degree, just gets carried away if he gets the scent of something and pulls so hard that he knocks me off-balance sometimes. he doesnt tend to follow bronte, but will go over if he thinks she's got a good 'sniff'.

its getting to the stage now where i dont want to take him out. but that just wouldnt be fair.
I've just reread this post SG.
It does sound like you are getting close to cracking it you know.
He's pulling to get to somewhere fun..wouldn't we all.
It's vital that our pups don't do this so if they start we will get them to the field/park (it can take a while of changing direction) and maybe one day walk past it, then come back and go home. Do that for a couple of days and your dog will soon stop seeing it as somewhere he is sure to go if you walk that way. The next thing to do is keep him on a normal lead and walk him through part of the field, turning backwards if he pulls. You may not get too far in, but it really doesn't matter. Keep doing this for a couple of sessions and extend the distance you walk. If your dog is good, put his long line on and let him have a run as a reward, if not, turn round and go home. It does work, but takes time. In the end you will have a dog that can walk through the park without pulling you over and doesn't 'assume' he's going for a good time...

Hope this helps, it's early, I had a late night and not sure i made much sense!!!!!!
It really does sound to me like he's getting the idea though. I have fund that that's the most frustrating time with the training on this sort of thing as you sort of know they can do it...they just have wek areas..a bit more time and patience and I truly believe you'll have it cracked!
Good luck!
Ax
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2006, 07:31 AM
thanks very much everyone (well almost everyone!!) for your replies. sorry only just got round to responding but i dont have a computer at home at the moment so using works one!!

well i have an update on the events of the weekend. i havent been starving sam as such, just cut out his tea on friday night and breakfast on sat, sun and this morning. he's had lots of treats in-between if he's done what i've asked him to so he's certainly not been 'starved'. i've used the dogmatic collar on him just to get from a-b. he hates it with a passion, but at least i can get him to walk on a loosish lead. i've been doing alot more training in the garden off-lead, doing recalls, and heelwork etc. also on the green in front of my house we've been off-lead too. i've been putting his lead on in the house, and just letting it trail behind him, just so its not such a big issue putting it on when we go for walkies!

the training classes i attend have helped us both no end otherwise without them and the help of the trainers i would have given up on sam long ago. unfortunately you cant make a dog recall if he doesn't want to. all i can do is practice and practice til it becomes the norm, and until he fully understands what i expect from him.

thanks to shadowboxer, wysiwig, jess (and anyone ive forgotten), for all your valuable and helpful advice i really do appreciate it

he is getting better (most of the time), and his good points outweigh his bad points. i know there are going to be times when it seems as though we're going backwards, but i'm sure there will be light at the end of the tunnel eventually
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Sounds as if things are improving, keep us updated won't you

And don't worry if there is the odd day when it all goes wrong - we all have those, even top trainers do!
Paul G.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-09-2006, 03:59 PM
My dog is usually good on a lead, but not today ! She's been exactly like yours and, like you, I brought her home early. Then, again like you, I did some training and she was fine. Its very frustrating.
The only explanation I can think of is that its very windy today and that sometimes makes animals nervous and excitable. Something to do with not being able to read the scents, or so I've heard.
Allyson
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2006, 04:07 PM
I to can sympathise with the pulling its hard work - firstly we had collar for Duke then went to a harness it was work he was like a steam train in full throttle I dont know how my arms stayed in there sockets. I was recommended by a vet nurse friend to try a headcollar and by god it was fantastic no pulling it was like having a different dog he is an absolute angel and a joy to walk. We bought the Canac Gentle Leader and it has been the best thing I have ever bought. There are many different headcollars on the market but as this was recommended we decided to go for it I know that there will other recommendations too and I think its just what suits the dog re fitting some do tend to ride up to the dogs eyes but havent found this with the GL others are halti,dogmatic of which I know of.

Hope thats has been of some help and you are not alone with the dog pulling I assure you.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2006, 11:17 PM
Hey that's great - sounds like you are getting somewhere. Well done.
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2006, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by Allyson View Post
I to can sympathise with the pulling its hard work - firstly we had collar for Duke then went to a harness it was work he was like a steam train in full throttle I dont know how my arms stayed in there sockets. I was recommended by a vet nurse friend to try a headcollar and by god it was fantastic no pulling it was like having a different dog he is an absolute angel and a joy to walk. We bought the Canac Gentle Leader and it has been the best thing I have ever bought. There are many different headcollars on the market but as this was recommended we decided to go for it I know that there will other recommendations too and I think its just what suits the dog re fitting some do tend to ride up to the dogs eyes but havent found this with the GL others are halti,dogmatic of which I know of.

Hope thats has been of some help and you are not alone with the dog pulling I assure you.
thanks allyson for your reply. i have tried the dogmatic and the halti. the halti rides up in his eyes, and the dogmatic he just puts his fronts paws in the loop at the front and pulls it off!!! little buggar! ive also been recommended the gentle leader, which i think i might try .
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by springergirl View Post
thanks allyson for your reply. i have tried the dogmatic and the halti. the halti rides up in his eyes, and the dogmatic he just puts his fronts paws in the loop at the front and pulls it off!!! little buggar! ive also been recommended the gentle leader, which i think i might try .
The Dogmatic was a godsend for us, Maddy pulled it off as you said at first, but after a few walks (ok quite a lot of walks) with it on, she got used to it. I used to just put it on her, but not attach is to anything, and walk her on her regular half check, just untill she got used to it, so it wasn't actually pulling on her. It worked really well, hope this helps.

Bear in mind though this isn't a long term solution, Maddy will walk like an angel on the Dogmatic now, but put her on a 'normal' collar and lead, half check or whatever, and she will pull like a train again.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4