Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-12-2015, 04:21 PM
I wouldn't eat that either

I think I would make it too, whether alone or not - just an excuse to have some roast beef (prefer it to Turkey) and things like potatoes, sprouts and yorkshire puds which I don't usually have.

If my house wasn't upside down because of the builders last year, I would invite my two elderly neighbours who now live alone having lost their husbands

I wish more people would think about the elderly in our communities.
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2015, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post

I wish more people would think about the elderly in our communities.
You see those adverts about the elderly on the tv too. It always gets me thinking but unfortunately I, like many others I suppose, don't know of any elderly people who will be on their own in my immediate area. These adverts or leaflets are just crying out for your money, there's no way of finding out about lonely residents and that's obviously a security issue. If I was on my own at Christmas I think I'd may try to find out and help out at a charity event for the elderly/homeless.

Christmas for me this year is at my Dad's. I shall do the cooking and he will provide the food and drink. He is great for 83, still puts up his decorations and wears his Santa hat on the day. He also always remembers a pressie for Poppy!
solo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-12-2015, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
I live on my own and generally on Xmas Day there's only me and the two dogs.

Living in Hungary, I can't buy Xmas pud or mince pies, so usually for desert I'll make an alcoholic trifle instead! I do cook a traditional dinner though, normally duck with all the trimmings which I can share with the dogs. Smoked salmon or pate for starters and nice wine to drink with the food.

I always try to make it a special day for us all, with a Christmas tree and presents and a roaring fire. For Georgina and Gwylim, a long walk followed by games in the house. In the evening when the dogs settle down there's chocolates for me as well as some good books.

Being on your own doesn't mean you have to forgo Xmas, you can still enjoy yourself!
Sounds lovely to me. I will let you into a little secret. I used to do the same with my little fellow and he enjoyed the Christmas Day dinner as much as I did
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2015, 09:21 AM
What a fussy lot! That meal looks grand; add some cranberry.. Yummy! I am these days often too ill to cook so I do eat ready meals if they are reduced price; Admirals Pie is a favourite when they reduce it to a euro. I do have a turkey and ham ready meal in the freezer as that was down to E2 but will cook a proper Christmas dinner unless I am too ill that day.In which case the frozen turkey and ham dinner it will be.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-12-2015, 12:50 PM
I am afraid the words 'read made' anything puts me off right away.
Keep it simple and make your own
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2015, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
I am afraid the words 'read made' anything puts me off right away.
Keep it simple and make your own
Easier said than done for some of us. After a day away for any reason, I need to eat and no way can I cook... a meal into the microwave assures that I eat and avoid eg a migraine from lack of food. Grateful for these meals, and if you choose carefully, they are grand.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2