Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2010, 07:17 PM

What are the chances?

i have always say that if i ever rescue a dog, or more when as such, i would like to rescue a greyhound. its a breed i have loved ever since i was small, so i if i was to rescue when the time is right, then i would have one, as there is so many of them needing homes.

but i was thinking, what are my chances? i have small dogs and two cats. is it not possible for me to have one? what are rescues like with greyhounds, and people who have cats because i thought alot wont let you have one if you have cats because they tend to chase?

anyone have any ideas?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2010, 07:20 PM
I think many greyhounds get on just dandy with small dogs and cats, Im sure breed rescues must get lots of dogs in that are suitable for homing to people with little dogs and cats,
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2010, 07:53 PM
In the home most are lazy, and don't take much notice, outside its a different story, and this is not from me, as I've had other types of sighthound but not a Grey, but from others, but many are cat tested before they leave, and this will go on their homing advice, of course you could always try a Lurcher too both are in need of help in rescue if you want to go that way
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-04-2010, 08:27 PM
From my experience in volunteering with greys, I'd say probably about one in ten are fine with both cats and small dogs. Cat friendlies do tend to get snapped up quicker than the others, but as you say, there are so many of them You wouldnt have to wait long to find the perfect one for you!
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Ours will never be cat friendly and we have to be careful when out walking if a little yappy dog runs up to us. Lady seems to think they are toys and would quite gladly treat it like one.

But rescues do have greys that are cat friendly so don't give up on the idea. I have to say ours are beautiful dogs and will sleep all day in the house.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2010, 11:00 AM
well i think they are such a lovely breed and every one i have met i have loved. i watched animal 24/7 yesterday where there was a greyhound who had had his ears hacked off so they couldnt trace him. but he was still so good natured and loved human company.

i think once i get my own house (lets face it its just going to be living with a load of dogs ) i will seriously consider them, and will have one if i can. i think if we can fund and support dog racing then we should pick up the pieces after.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2010, 04:40 PM
They are very low mainenance dogs, the only thing to be aware of as others have said is their prey drive. Of course it is in their nature anyway but in ex racers it can be more pronounced as this is what they have been trained to do.

There are cat friendly greyhounds, a lot have never made it to the racetrack because they don't have any interest in chasing the lure.

I have a greyhound and a lurcher,both have high prey drives and would be a complete no no with cats but they are fine with little dogs although a lot aren't.

They need to be muzzled when off lead as a precaution if you can let them off lead. I do but have put in a lot of recall training!

Why don't you contact your local greyhound rescue (Retired Greyhound Trust are nationwide) and ask them what they think, when you are ready.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
They are very low mainenance dogs, the only thing to be aware of as others have said is their prey drive. Of course it is in their nature anyway but in ex racers it can be more pronounced as this is what they have been trained to do.

There are cat friendly greyhounds, a lot have never made it to the racetrack because they don't have any interest in chasing the lure.

I have a greyhound and a lurcher,both have high prey drives and would be a complete no no with cats but they are fine with little dogs although a lot aren't.

They need to be muzzled when off lead as a precaution if you can let them off lead. I do but have put in a lot of recall training!

Why don't you contact your local greyhound rescue (Retired Greyhound Trust are nationwide) and ask them what they think, when you are ready.
thanks. i was looking at dogs that needed homes before and got all broody but i will wait a while yet
spot
Dogsey Veteran

13-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
In the home most are lazy, and don't take much notice, outside its a different story, and this is not from me, as I've had other types of sighthound but not a Grey, but from others, but many are cat tested before they leave, and this will go on their homing advice, of course you could always try a Lurcher too both are in need of help in rescue if you want to go that way
Strangly enough Ive just seen a gorgeous little lurcher curled up with a cat and small dog and IS LOOKING FOR A HOME!

Surely fate is playing a hand here

Many of the smaller greyhound/lurcher rescues will assess you and the dog as individuals and many, certainly the one Im talking about above have their dogs in foster homes to assess them. Some are cat friendly some are not but they will know which ones are suitable.
2Greys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2010, 11:11 PM
My friends ex-racers live happily with her 2 cats, my own greys are not kitty friendly but are fine with all sizes of dogs.

The breed rescues (RGT & independent) tend to test their dogs with cats if they have a stooge cat available, but i think many of the general all breed rescues just assume all greyhounds are not small animal friendly.These groups home nationally and often have cat trainable dogs availablegrwe, greyhound gap, kerry greyhounds,lurcher link.

I know your not able to home one yet but a little window shopping is always fun and you can get to know the groups a bit more as they all have their own policies and set up. I think North West RGT maybe your local branch and they seem fairly active events wise.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >