Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
You have a F1 wolf x dog in the UK ?????
O good grief : strike me dead why don't you !!! Norty Norty Me !!

No, I do not have an F1, I used to have an F4, now sadly no longer with us.

It is not illegal in any case to have an F1 or even a pure wolf in PARTS of the UK, eg Northern Ireland.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Very good points... and as a comparison, I have been watching Victoria Stilwell on sky these last couple pf weeks..and I have to say , she has improved 100% in her aproach to dogs..

Never once have I seen her kick /nudge a dog to gain its attention...her techniques have much improved... she gains control by positive reinforcement ..and insists all her clients throw away all the negative tools they have...
i've been watching her too and i must say that i have been impressed with her methods and her understanding of the dogs behaviour. plus i saw her get very angry with a family who made their dog wear a prong collar. she got the father to put it on and he was shocked by how little pressure was needed to make noticeable marks on his skin.

she gets the dogs interested in her and as you say, it's all positive reinforcement. it works so well.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
CM kicks dogs regularly, you are only offended on this occasion as it was a wolf cross You are so breedist
Now THAT'S VERY FUNNY !! You've made me rock with laughter Lionhound.

Being serious though, it wasn't that fact at all, it could have been any dog ... it just happened to be a wolf cross. However, CM is often to be heard saying that we need to consider breed specifics and to understand that a lab will have a passion for water and so on, and yet he himself has admitted that his techniques need to be adjusted with wolf crosses. To go and actually kick one in this way was unacceptable with any dog, but with a wolf cross was downright stupid and showing a woeful amount of ignorance!

There you are you see, I am an open minded and reasonable person ! I might like CM, but no-one is perfect, and unlike the anti's, I do not blindly worship the guy and ignore his faults, I see his faults and choose to ignore any bits that I don't agree with.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
That shows a complete lack of understanding as to why the dog is ignoring you in the first place and it is THAT that should be addressed not prodding/kicking/nudging, or whatever you want to call it, them to get their attention in the first place. If you haven't got your dogs attention then you need to ask yourself why!
Becky
If you had huskies or mals Becky, you WOULD have to suffer being ignored, believe me, they are ace at it. Add to this mixture wolf = Hal, you had a dog who invented the words "aloof" and "ignore".

You are only doing to your dog what a bitch would do to her pups ... whether she be a wolf or a dog. If her puppies/cubs ignore her, they will get a sharp nip. As a last and final resort, she will pin them.

I like to look to nature wherever I can when dealing with all animals, not just dogs.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
hmm, now i think his veneered smile would fade pretty quickly...

ah of course. i notice they haven't commented on the lhasa. funny that.

You've got me there, it is a bit flashy! He is pretty gorgeous though IMO !
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I see his faults and choose to ignore any bits that I don't agree with.
But thats the crux of the matter..isn`t it..YOU are reasonably experienced with dogs, YOU can separate the bad bits from his good one..

But not everyone who watches him will be able to do that, they do see him as God, they see him as the answer to all problems... and thats the dangererous part...
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 10:19 AM
You are only doing to your dog what a bitch would do to her pups ... whether she be a wolf or a dog. If her puppies/cubs ignore her, they will get a sharp nip. As a last and final resort, she will pin them.
Incorrect, none of my bitches ever nipped a puppy of theirs, or indeed anyone elses, what they did do was place their mouth around their muzzle gently which was enough to reprimand the youngster.
This pinning thing is yet again a lack of understanding. Dogs DO NOT pin, what happens is one dog offers an appeasement gesture by rolling on it's back to show it means no harm. I have never seen a dog pin another one on it's back.
Becky
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

24-07-2009, 10:21 AM
If you had huskies or mals Becky, you WOULD have to suffer being ignored, believe me, they are ace at it. Add to this mixture wolf = Hal, you had a dog who invented the words "aloof" and "ignore".

I like to look to nature wherever I can when dealing with all animals, not just dogs.
But there is one HUGE difference.... she is a dog , we are not.

And what a bitch will or will not do with her 3/4/5/6/7/8/ wk old pups, is not to be copied by us Humans.... 6mths/3yrs down the line.

We are not dogs, we do not display canine behaviour in our discipline. nor do dogs display human behaviour in theirs.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

24-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Incorrect, none of my bitches ever nipped a puppy of theirs, or indeed anyone elses, what they did do was place their mouth around their muzzle gently which was enough to reprimand the youngster.
This pinning thing is yet again a lack of understanding. Dogs DO NOT pin, what happens is one dog offers an appeasement gesture by rolling on it's back to show it means no harm. I have never seen a dog pin another one on it's back.
Becky
Unfortunately Becky , Gnasher knows different.we have had this conversations many times beofre, she chooses to see it as a bitch physically upending and then pinning a pup to those of us who see it as you explained.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 10:40 AM

Really ? Have you actually seen this happen ?

I've never seen any of my bitches sharply nip their puppies to get their attention or in any other situation.

I've also watched a lot of footage of real wild wolves living in real packs & not those put together by man, never seen a bitch nip or pin a puppy for attention,. I have seen bitches put a paw on a puppy when she has been getting too much attention from a puppy.

Perhaps if we were as closely related to dogs the way a bitch is to it's puppies we wouldn't need to work on getting attention from our dogs.

There is no way a human can actively mimic the body language of dogs. What you describe as an attention getting action between a bitch(the bitch doing the behaviour) & it's puppies isn't.

To a puppy it's mother means food & attention(from the bitch grooming etc etc)& to bond with a dog we need to mean the same.
Page 17 of 125 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 67 117 > Last »