Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
paulandfloyd
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-01-2011, 09:16 PM

Anyone rent their accommodation?

Just wondering if anyone who rents is/isn’t allowed pets, or has found it hard in past to find a landlord that will allow pets?

I’ve noticed that quite a few ads say NO PETS these days.

I rent my accommodation, and my landlord kindly lets me keep 2 dogs, but I am slightly worried that in the future It will be hard to find a landlord that will let me keep 2 dogs.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 09:21 PM
We are renting. No dogs/cats/big animals but were allowed a gerbil and a mouse providing we kept the area clean.

Next place we will look for a place that atleast allows 1 dog.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 09:23 PM
I rent from my mum so no problems there, but OH and I have been looking at moving to a different area before we buy so it's something we've had to consider. I found one estate agent who listed lots of properties that said "pets considered" so they would be our first stop if we decide to rent.
One thing I've heard of people having success with is posting a "House for rent wanted" ad on somewhere like Gumtree - it gives you a chance to put across who you are, explain that your dogs are well behaved, toilet trained, etc., rather than find yourself falling at the first hurdle of asking if pets are allowed and being told a generic no.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 10:32 PM
I rent, and am allowed pets but had to pay a deposit. Some places even have a "pet rent" or an extra charge per month per pet. Thankfully, MOST places allow pets around here.
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-01-2011, 10:35 PM
I've very luckily just found somewhere to rent (moving in next month) who is allowing me and my friend to have any animals we want as long as we keep the place clean and tidy

My friend's getting a dog and i'm looking into getting a kitten and some small furries which the landlord is fine with
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 10:40 PM
I've rented for over 20 years with pets - unfortunately when the tenancy for my last place ended I found myself unable to fund deposit etc for a new place and had to move back to my mother's. There's NO way I would ever be able to rent here with pets - every single rental property forbids (a reason I moved away 25 years ago!) so my only option is a council place but it's dubious if I qualify.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-01-2011, 11:16 PM
I rent, have been in my previous place and this one, both private landlords. My son rented this flat previously but when I was thrown out my other place he moved so I could move in here but he didn't tell the landlords I had a dog. There was a mix up with what my son said and what the landlords said and I had moved in before getting the tenancy. In fact when I phoned for my lease they were surprised I had moved in.

I went to speak with them and took Lana with me. They hadn't rented to anyone with a dog before but fell in love with Lana so they said it was fine. Mind you it's not as though Lana could wreck much as the flat is badly in need of modernisation which they would have to do before selling or else accept a much lower price for it.

When I was looking there were so many adverts not accepting people with dogs but I would phone up anyway and explain I had a medium size dog or I would make an appointment and take Lana with me. I don't know if it's because I'm older (56) that they think I'm more responsible but did get offered a couple of properties even though I had Lana. Sadly they were so small I would have suffered from claustrophobia and couldn't have fitted all my stuff in anyway.

I find it easier with private landlords and although they say no dogs, depending on your dog, Lana is a sweet looking little thing and in no way scary there's a chance you can sweet talk them into giving you the place.

For me letting agencies are a waste of time because I am self employed and have a dog. You don't get the chance to speak to the owner and convince them to let you take your dog.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 11:22 PM
I rented 3 places when I had two dogs.

The third place was hard to find and eventually I did not tell the landlord! I just found a place that did not state no dogs and when my landlord visited at a later date I hid the dogs in the lounge One of them was whining constantly as she knew there was a visitor, so I had to confess. He was fine about it as I was a good tenant that paid up on time and kept the place clean and did not bother anybody.

I worried each time I needed to move and although it is harder finding a property that accepts dogs it is by no means impossible. I should not have wasted my energy worrying.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 06:46 AM
I found it was getting harder and harder to get somewhere to rent that would even allow a cat around here - stuff gets let out so quickly that lots of hte letting agents wouldn't even bother placing a call to the landlord to ask if they'd allow pets - why bother with that effort when someone else will be along in 10 minutes anyway?

At the time we only had the cat - and we've paid huuuuge extra deposits (negotiated a 25% discount since she had 25% less claws than the average cat with having three legs) and had clear up the damage clauses in contracts - but it was just getting too hard to find somewhere and we wanted to move out of the badly repaired hole we were in - so we borrowed the deposit from the Bank of Mum and Dad-In-Law and bought at Christmas... then promptly got the dog!
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 09:12 AM
It is difficult to rent with pets. When I was a uni student I had rats with the permission of my landlord (who I knew from uni) then we were lucky to find a landlord who already had someone living there with a rat, so didn't mind my 6 joining! He always said he'd allow caged animals but not dogs...but we got to know him and him us and he knew we kept the place well...when I left uni and got married I stayed in the same house and we wrote a letter asking if we could have a dog and explained how we would manage things...he said yes and a year later Axel joined us!
We're pretty much going to have to buy next place we move I reckon as virtually nowhere round here rents with dogs... I just wish it was taken case by case and no blanket rules, kids often do a lot more damage than average dogs...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >