Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2008, 11:27 AM

Dog Rules for Children

The other day I stumbled across the KCs 'rules' or guidance written for children on how to deal with dogs.

By coincidence this has come up in another post (Fliggle's about Dingo), but until the last week I was oblivious of their existance.

I was just wondering - how many other people had seen them and do you think that this information should be handed out by all breeders and rescues - i.e. shouldn't they be given to everyone getting a dog?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Hi Hali I have posted about them before on Dogsey (with a link to them) suggesting people with children might get them to try the little online game.

I think if people buying a puppy have children ,the good breeder will already be advising on puppy/child cohabitation and building mutual respect.

Sadly the other sort of breeder (who is only interested in getting rid of puppies to just anyone who will take one )probably won't bother.

I am not sure what policy rescues have about dogs/children but think they should go into the subject in some detail with perspective owners.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2008, 12:51 PM
My son has the certificate on his wall bless him, but I think it could have been better or another version for younger children, he's only 5 and I had to reword some of the questions and answers so that he could understand it better. I think it's aimed young children, the content and choices are good but the language and wording isn't. JMO. I think it should be taught in schools and am still trying to do something in my son's school but they won't allow a dog in and lets face it, the dog just makes it all the more fun for the kids really! Am hoping to get Dusty (at least) PAT registered this year which may help.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
My son has the certificate on his wall bless him, but I think it could have been better or another version for younger children, he's only 5 and I had to reword some of the questions and answers so that he could understand it better. I think it's aimed young children, the content and choices are good but the language and wording isn't. JMO. I think it should be taught in schools and am still trying to do something in my son's school but they won't allow a dog in and lets face it, the dog just makes it all the more fun for the kids really! Am hoping to get Dusty (at least) PAT registered this year which may help.
Well done to your son.

Good luck with your efforts with the school - its such a sensible idea, really daft of them not to be interested.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2008, 01:17 PM
much of the stuff I do with kids at the training club is based on the kc stuff, but with bits of my own added in lol, its good there is something out there for them but I would love to see more,
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Well done to your son.

Good luck with your efforts with the school - its such a sensible idea, really daft of them not to be interested.
Thanks, I only want to take Dusty! They have said I can come in without the dog but I really wanted the children to be able to put into practice how to approach e.t.c. and they are just children, i'm not wanting to do a big talk or a speech, more practical as I feel children learn best from practical learning. JMO.

I agree with Shona, would love to see more, would love a campaign to go round schools, that would be fab!
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Thanks, I only want to take Dusty! They have said I can come in without the dog but I really wanted the children to be able to put into practice how to approach e.t.c. and they are just children, i'm not wanting to do a big talk or a speech, more practical as I feel children learn best from practical learning. JMO.

I agree with Shona, would love to see more, would love a campaign to go round schools, that would be fab!
We never had animals in school, but the Brownies and Cubs/Scouts/Beavers were much more open minded.. When I did an animal care badge, I was allowed to bring Heidi in (but the brown owl was a doggy person and knew our dogs), and later a barn owl! I wonder whether, if you continue to have no joy with the school, you could try giving a talk to a group like this? I'm sure they'd really appreciate it, especially if you can say that your dog is PAT registered - a bit of reassurance for them..