Our sister sites
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2012, 08:27 AM

Feeling Guilty :-(

Hi all,

Just a bit of a rant really!

My dads friend has fallen in love with Bella, and suggest we should take her round to meet his two dogs. a male boxer and female labradoodle (sp?).

So last night we walk round, as its not far from my mum and dads. He knew we were coming, and before he opened the door my dad said "We've brought Bella".

Well these two dogs come charging out. They all have a sniff, lovely lovely. And then all of a sudden...boxer goes for Bella. And then the other one joined in. They just had her on the floor, and it sounded awful. Bella was squealing and crying. Luckily I pulled her from under them (somehow) and picked her up.

The guy then followed to tell me off?! "Thats the worst thing to do, pick up your dog". Myself, my OH and my dad, were just :-O ...are you kidding?! Yes it probably was, but I was so scared for little Bella, My first reaction was to grab her up. They were off lead, so how else could I have got her away!? Then said "You are on his property, so hes going to protect it"

He said "Oh there just a bit boystrous"...I know I made a thread the other week, worrying about my sisters JRT and Bella (which they are fine now, they seem to have both gone back to normal). But I know this wasn't play. Bella was on the floor, under them, squealing. It was just awful.

Now I feel so guilty. She was in my care, and she got attacked She wasn't hurt thankfully. But I'm really worried she will associate big dogs with attacks. We met a black lab today on her walk, she had her tail between her legs (black lab ran over off lead..Bella was on lead) I tried coaxing her through it "Good girl, nicely" etc...and after a few moments she seemed herself again.

Just so annoying! I dont want Bella to have bad experiences, and now I feel like a rubbish owner
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 08:40 AM
I don't know the "correct" way to act in this situation but am pretty sure I too would pick Samson up to protect him, thats our job after all.

I would be furious though with the bloke who invited me round with a young pup when he clearly knew his dogs were not friendly??? WHY would he do that?

I had a funny experience with a boxer yesterday that after a quick sniff Samson took a dislike to? not sure what that was about?

I hope someone can offer you some advise but just wanted to say don't feel too bad, you went there under the impression that Bella would get a good play with a couple of friendly dogs, and being a puppy owner that is an offer I wouldn't turn down
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2012, 08:50 AM
I have had several bad experiences with boxers, all involving them pinning my dog down, and the owners being too far away to do anything about it, or not even being concerend. Now whenever we see one Missy hides behind my legs. Personally I am not a fan as most of the ones we meet seem out of control. My sister has one that can't even be controlled indoors let alone outside.
I would have done the same, they are big powerful dogs and could do a lot of damage to a smaller dog. It wasn't your fault, but the idiot owner. Don't feel guilty, just rack it up as experience, maybe make sure you meet new dogs on neutral ground in the future?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 09:11 AM
We have had a couple of times like yours with Mojo being small, however we are lucky in a way as our Border Collies will intercept anything before they reach her.

But I think I would be telling your Dads friend that although he may make excuses for his dogs behaviour he also needs to realize that he needs to teach his dogs manners, if they are 'a bit boisterous' 'protecting their territory' etc etc., but if he knows this..........and he obviously does because he came out with all the excuses......... he needs to make sure they do not come to the door.

Infact quite honestly I wouldn't walk my dogs with his, boxers can get very rough in play...they play hard, Bella being small may well accidentally get hurt a big dog jumping on her or shoulder charging could do damage.

I think I would say...'so pleased you love Bella that a lovely thing, but No I won't be walking her with your as I have a duty to her thinking about her size and how she may get worried over bigger dogs' and I would leave it like that, it doesn't matter what he thinks really Bella is yours
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2012, 09:23 AM
When Molly was only 13 weeks old we were invited on a breed forum walk. I had my reservations, but after being reassured that all the dogs on the walk were friendly, obedient and well mannered I thought it would be a good experience for her. It wasn't a long walk, we went to a park and the dogs played ball. Molly was a little nervous and we kept well on the sidelines, she didn't get involved in the play, she was happier just playing with us.

Molly was later attacked by one of the adult male GSDs whilst she was completely minding her own business. The guilt I felt for putting her in such a position was immense. After having had a DA dog, that had become so after he himself was attacked, I feared that Molly's experience would lead down the same road.

After the attack she was initially nervous of other dogs, very submissive and trying to hide behind my legs. I completely ignored her as I didn't want to reinforce the negative behaviour. If she accepted, or initiated interaction, she was praised and fussed. This may not be the most advocated method of training, but it worked for us.

I am pleased to say that the experience had no adverse effect on Molly's temperament, she is still the sweet, kind and well mannered dog she always has been.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Sorry hon, but your dad's friend sounds like an idiot to me.....

ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Sorry hon, but your dad's friend sounds like an idiot to me.....

Agree. But would use a less polite word.
Avoid him - he`s a plonker.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 12:24 PM
I absolutely pick my small dog up if I foresee a problem.

If you know of any friendly bigger dogs that you know are OK with Bella, try to go out of your way to meet them. Tell their owners that you need to let Bella make the first moves so that she feels relaxed and why.

If you're good at reading other dogs, you can even do this on a walk with dogs/owners you don't know because most good dog owners are only too happy to help.

A couple of good experiences now will do wonders for her confidence after a scare like that.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 02:00 PM
I don't think I would ever take a young dog around to someone else's house to meet their dogs - especially if I didn't know the dogs. By all means meet on neutral territory but most dogs will protect their 'place' against another dog, especially if there are two or more of them.
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Hi all thanks for the advice. It just shook both me and my partner up. And I was scared (mentioned by Angie) that it would turn her into an aggressive dog, because she was scared. However with the lab this morning, after a few moments, she was herself and wanted to play again. So more than happy with that. I will just keep encouraging good experiences. I know a woman who has a HUGE but lovely bernese mountain dog (sorry if thats wrong?) So I may encourage a play with her soon.

Five Dog Pam - I have met the dogs quite a few times before. Really loveable, and quite sweet. We didn't go inside the house, they live in a very quiet cul-de-saq type road, so they were all out in the front on the path/road. I half expected him to bring them out on a lead, generally he only brings the boxer out. He just obviously didn't take a fancy to Bella....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >