Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sherleylawton
New Member!
Female 

26-08-2012, 09:16 PM

Puppy Dane 4 months eating and licking earth excessively

I am truly worried as I have never come across this before!! I have had Great Danes for 44 years now and never with my puppies have I had this alarming action! Piran is 4 months old now and an adorable little boy in every way..however he is eating earth and licking the mud where it is a mush of rotten grass and mud!! Since doing this he now has constant diarrhea, always starving hungry (despite having his full quota of food) and immediately after his food he will rush off to eat the mud!!?? I have asked my Vet but he insists it is attention seeking...sorry but to me that is rubbish!! I also feel that because of this constant mud eating he now has worms!! Again the vet insists this is not so...but Piran is looking hunched around the stomach area!!
I do hope that someone can help and give me a remedy!!
I have heard of an illness named Jaydea (not sure of spelling) but this is due to mud eating in puppies..has anyone heard of this??
From a truly worried new comer to the forum...
Sherley
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2012, 06:16 AM
I agree with you about the worms, especially as you seem so well clued up about that hunched up stomach, and if you notice other symptoms and it's safe to worm, then I'd be inclined to do the Panacur with the risk of that giardia in the wet and rotting grassy area that he's licking.

I once had a puppy that would eat dirt and mud and my vet at that time said she was lacking in vits and minerals, so advised me to add the SA37 (which is now something different SF-50). At least this way, you can start eliminating. I can't for the life of me think how this is attention seeking though, but he could well have said that if he doesn't have a clue couldn't he!

Good luck, hope you manage to stop this mud eating. Another thing you've got to worry about is a potential blockage, because I've recently read that taking your dog down the beach with a ball which gets covered in sand, can cause a blockage, so it could also relate to mud, I don't know? Having said that, my gsd is ball obsessed when out and about, it gets covered in yuk and mud and she picks it up again Dogs hey!
sherleylawton
New Member!
Female 

27-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I agree with you about the worms, especially as you seem so well clued up about that hunched up stomach, and if you notice other symptoms and it's safe to worm, then I'd be inclined to do the Panacur with the risk of that giardia in the wet and rotting grassy area that he's licking.

I once had a puppy that would eat dirt and mud and my vet at that time said she was lacking in vits and minerals, so advised me to add the SA37 (which is now something different SF-50). At least this way, you can start eliminating. I can't for the life of me think how this is attention seeking though, but he could well have said that if he doesn't have a clue couldn't he!

Good luck, hope you manage to stop this mud eating. Another thing you've got to worry about is a potential blockage, because I've recently read that taking your dog down the beach with a ball which gets covered in sand, can cause a blockage, so it could also relate to mud, I don't know? Having said that, my gsd is ball obsessed when out and about, it gets covered in yuk and mud and she picks it up again Dogs hey!
Thank you so very much for your reply...really appreciate it!! I always used SA-37 for all my Dane puppies, but thought it had completely gone off the market....so I am pleased to see it is still being made but under the name SF-50!! I shall certainly look for it, possibly online!! Thank you again!!
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

27-08-2012, 06:59 PM
In addition to Helena54's reply which is brill advice, I would treat it like a puppy chewing, i.e. get it onto something else such as a ball or chew toy
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2012, 01:18 AM
What your puppy is doing is the same as a dog eating grass - to mAke itself sick as it either has pain. (you mention a hunched up look) or puppy feels sick. .sometimes in the house a dog or puppy will obsessively lick the carpet, it's the same thing, eat anything to make itself sick and get rid of the irritant. I have had dogs like this(Boxers), it can be a nuisance as you never know what they are going to swallow next.

Your vet sounds a bit unsympathetic to the dogs needs, is there no one else in the practice you could see. Or perhaps get a second opinion?

What food are you feeding, if it's a regular occurrence, perhaps the food you are feeding does not agree, it may have suited other dogs you have had, however they are all very different
Katerina
New Member!
Female 

28-08-2012, 03:38 PM
It sounds like stomach ache to me. I had the same problem with my dog, who has sensitive stomach. Dogs may sometimes eat soil and dirt as an attempt to get rid of a heartburn. Soil always has some clay in it, which acts like a glass of milk or as an antacid. Try changing your dog's diet and adding some oatmeal to his breakfast. In addition, there are prescription medications that protect stomach from acid and prevent pain.

Your vet doesn't sound like a caring and knowledgeable professional to me, by the way.

I wouldn't worry about worms: as long as you're keeping him on Drontal, he should be fine.
sherleylawton
New Member!
Female 

28-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Thank you to all who have put comments on my puppy Dane's problem......I really do appreciate it!!
I again today spoke to the vet about this....and was simply told to stop him doing this as it is not safe...there are all sorts of hosts in earth including the dreaded Parvo!! Well all I felt like saying was 'Thanks for that....I think I should find a qualified and caring vet!!!' but I didn't!! I am going to go to another vet in my area...and get some better results!!! Unless you watch a puppy 24/7 or keep him indoors all the time how on earth can you stop him!!
Sherley.....