Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2008, 12:51 PM

What the hell do I do?!

my partener of 3 yrs has just walked out i cant afford to stay where i am and i have 3 cats and 2 dogs what the hell am i going to do does anyone know if i cna get help to pay the rent otherwise i dont know what im going to do.
ATD x
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2008, 01:07 PM
I'm so sorry,you must be devastated is there no chance he might come back ? Failing that what about getting someone to share with you ?
Erin
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Oh Im so sorry your having to go through this. Im in a very similar situation myself, other than I am going to have to rehome my animals as Im not able to find a property that will allow me to rent with animals
You may be able to get housing benefit if you are on a low wage, I think thats something you would need to contact your local council about,or maybe get a lodger to help with cost?
I know exactly how your feeling right now, and really do hope you manage to get something sorted ((((hugs))))
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Sorry to hear this hun, are you working? If not then you will be able to claim Housing benefit and council tax benefit. If you are working but on a low income they may still be able to help.. Look into tax credits too if you are working.
Let me know how you get on
Elaine xx
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2008, 01:17 PM
So sorry to hear this, there's never a good time but especially at this time of year it's tough. What help you can get is very dependant on your circumsatnces.

Do you work? If so check out wether you are entitled to any working tax credits again this depends on the amount you earn, wheter you have any kids and/or how many hours you work. Even if you are working speak to your local council and complete a council tax housing benefit form ASAP (as it is processed from the date received)

If you don't work you will be entitled to Jobseekers allowance and this will entitle you to help with rent and council tax.

If you are unable to work due to ill health you will be entitled to ESA (the new Incapacity benefit) or Income support both of which will give you an entitlement to housing benefit (help with rent) and council tax benefit.

If you are in real financial difficulty at the moment ie no money for food, heating or similar necessary things then you can apply to the Jobcentre plus for a crisis loan, this DOES have to be paid back but there is no interest added, though the amount you get is usually pretty low, but it can tide you over.

Get as many as your pets as possible registered with the PDSA (I think there is a limit of 3 per household) but at least then you know the majority of vets fees will be covered.

Great idea about letting out the room, even if temporarily this means turning the living room into a bedroom (sofa bed or similar) mYou may find sub letting goes against your rental terms, you can always ask your landlord if you get on ok or alternatively try to get someone you know or who is known by someone you know who would be happy to be "a friend visiting" if the landlord came round unexpectedly
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2008, 01:18 PM
First don't panic

Depending on your income/work you can gert help towards the rent in the form of Housing Benefit & Council Tax Benefit. Your Council Tax will be reduced by 1/4 as you are now living on your own regardless of whether you get help towards the rent.

Then if you are working if you do 30 hours or more you can claim working tax credit

If you are not working then you can claim Jobseeker's Allowance, ESA, Income Support depending on your home circumstances
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Hey we should all get jobs in our local Job centres.. How smart are we
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Oddly enough that is where I used to work !
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Oddly enough that is where I used to work !

I would never have guessed it. good advice hun xx
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the replies
-im under 25 so cant get working tax credic and
-im not entitlied to job seekers
-I have phoned and asked for a form but im going to print the form from the link you gave me JoedeeUK.
Thanks again
ATD x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >