Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 10:45 AM

Previcox Have you Used Them.

Shady has just been given a weeks supply of these and I have just read up on them and I just seem to find horror stories of dogs dying rapidly on them.
Has anyone here used them and how did you find them?
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Our Lab Aster had been on it for a year or 2. It no longer kept her arthritis in check, we switched to Metacam her last 6 months. We put her to sleep just after she turned 15 due to a huge fast growing tumor.

I think those few people that have problems with a product are far more likely to post to the internet than the majority that don't. Plus, you never know who actually is selling a competitive product.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Tassle had them for a week while we were trying to find out what was wrong. They made no difference to her in the end as her issues were neurological, but they did not seem to affect her in a negative way.

I have a friend with a BC who has used them when she goes intermittantly lame (due to OCD in her sholder)

As with anything there are always risks....but my experience has been positive so far.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Biff had them for a couple of weeks when his arthritis got worse, to see if they would work better than his rimadyl...they didn't so we stopped using them.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Thankyou its good to hear the positive. So I have just bitten the bullet and started them. Fingers crossed they help.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Flame was on them for a couple of months to see if they helped her arthritis. I noticed no change in her at all on previcox, so we changed to metacam.
Petra
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Shady has just been given a weeks supply of these and I have just read up on them and I just seem to find horror stories of dogs dying rapidly on them.
Has anyone here used them and how did you find them?
Spooky - I was going to start the exact same thread (obviously not about shady!).....

We have been sent home from the vet this pm with a 2 week supply of these - 227mg dose.

I too have just been trawling the internet, and found nothing but horror stories.
Anti-inflammatories are dangerous, but most other drugs have their own risks, so I am trying to put things into perspective.
If there are any adverse reactions, we'll be stopping them and going back to the vets.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Petra View Post
Spooky - I was going to start the exact same thread (obviously not about shady!).....

We have been sent home from the vet this pm with a 2 week supply of these - 227mg dose.

I too have just been trawling the internet, and found nothing but horror stories.
Anti-inflammatories are dangerous, but most other drugs have their own risks, so I am trying to put things into perspective.
If there are any adverse reactions, we'll be stopping them and going back to the vets.
hi,
i agree.nsaid's can be very usefull but they can have side effects,the most usuall ones are d+ and v+ which usualy ceases when you stop using the product,also they should not be used if your dog has impaired renal/hepatic function although 'previcox' is the reccomended one if this is the case.i agree about putting things into perspective,short term use generaly has no down sides,but long term as long as there is no adverse side effects you have to think(imo) does it improve the 'quality of life' and take it from there.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Moxie takes Previcox as needed and has for three plus years now, it really helps her feel better when she's stiff and sore. Usually one dose is all she needs and she's right as rain again. I love it.
stunt monkey
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-08-2009, 08:29 PM
our old lab jess was on them for about 18 months ,we were told that she only had a few months to live but she was fine for 18 months,what is the alternative treatment for your dog are they any better?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >