Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2005, 01:46 PM

Experience??

I know everyone say's,and quite rightly too,you should get a dog you have experience of. But how can you do this if you have not had that breed before?? Mollie is my first Boxer, I read books,and talked to boxer owners,but I learned about boxerby owning one.S urley this is the best way to learn about a breed.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2005, 01:52 PM
My feelings exactly Moli, its like some breeds you need experience to buy a puppy of that breed, and also need experience to rehome a older dog of that breed! how can you without owning one!!?

I guess being involved with the breed, being close to someone that has the breed and maybe handling it in the ring, working it etc is how you gain the experience
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2005, 02:06 PM
Moli said (I know everyone say’s, and quite rightly too, you should get a dog you have experience of. )

Not at all sure that is true, nor that people say it anyway.

Think that with some 'difficult' breeds it may be best if you have experience of dog owning before taking one on but that is not the general rule else the dog owning public would die out altogether. Think that people wishing to own and purchase a particular breed for the first time should do their homework; perhaps visit a few shows or trials and most important several breeders of that breed. Then when they are sure that breed is for them and they can deal with the requirements of the breed they can chose where they wish to buy from, knowing that they get on with the breeder and that they will be there to help if needed.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

06-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Moli
I know everyone say's,and quite rightly too,you should get a dog you have experience of. But how can you do this if you have not had that breed before?? Mollie is my first Boxer, I read books,and talked to boxer owners,but I learned about boxerby owning one.S urley this is the best way to learn about a breed.
I was subjected to this on some small forums - people were saying Presas and other 'dominent' breeds should not be sold to people without adequate experience. I was frustrated like yourself and as I wondered how on earth would I gain that expereience without owning one!

However, I do agree that certain breeds like the Presa really should not be sold to any ol one, but each case should be looked at individually, and only in exceptional circumstances allow this rule to be broken. The breeder should take time to interview the potential owner in depth and ask lots of questions over a good period of time before making the decision.

I was in talks with Rockys breeder for over a year! And in that time she knew enough about me to determine whether I would be able to take on such a breed. Obviously I had to prove that I was able to own a Presa and I did that by researching as much as possible, not so much the breed, but more so the TYPE of breed and how I should bring up this TYPE of dog.

So doing your groundwork really does help.
And taking the time to build up a relationship with the breeder over a length of time does so too.

People rushing to get a large bully type breed, are therefore rightfully declined.

Like you Moli, I have learned more about the breed by owning one - but by doing all the research I had beforehand, I am better equipped to deal with a wider set of eventualities and able to identify problems early and counter them if nesc.

Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2005, 02:35 PM
I think learning the function of a breed, guarding,herding etc it is the first step to learning about that breed,But surely actually handling the dog is the best way to gain experience. I help at a training class, and we have all manner of breeds, but although they are all basically the same, I have noticed differences in their reactions to training. Incidentally eraze, I would love a dog like yours,I love all the big bullbreeds.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2005, 03:05 PM
Yes, different breeds have different characteristics and within that breed individuals will be different. I have 4 of the same breed all showing the basic breed temperament type but all totally different characters, so it is possible to gain knowledge of a breed norm but impossible to know what a particular animals temperament will be until you own it.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2005, 04:30 PM
Do you think Thordell, you get out of a dog what you put in. Do you think the way you bring an animal up determines its temperment?
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2005, 05:15 PM
Do you think Thordell, you get out of a dog what you put in. Do you think the way you bring an animal up determines its temperment?
sorry to but in ( I know your comment was aimed at thordell)

but I'd say the effort and time you put into your dog and the relationship you share together plays a MAJOR part in temperament-
but there are always those animals who have their own personalities
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Let me put it this way, I think the way you handle a dog can bring out the best in it or the worse but I don't think you can change either the basic temperament nor the character, you can train a dog to behave in a way you find suitable for you or you can let it do as it likes and it will no doubt be a nuisance to everyone.

But I think that moulding the dog to fit in with the domestic situation does not change the dogs true make up, don't know about you but I would not wish it to. You can though with bad or cruel treatment ruin a perfectly good dog, the effect of hitting or inconsistent training to the dog it is inflicted on will depend on the character & temperament of that dog. For instance if you hit a confident dog it will get out of the way if it can, if you hit a nervous dog it will either cringe or snap, a dog that is confused by a family giving instructions in different ways will either become withdrawn trying to please you or ignore you all together.

Think the best we can do for our dogs is to try and understand their basic nature, which can and does depend to some extent on the breed and it’s breeding, and as much as possible use training to fit in with that basic nature. Have to say that well bred home reared pups are usually easier to train to behave in a suitable way for the domestic situation than do those who are kennel bred and reared. I believe, although I have no proof that dogs like most other animals bond with the species they see around them in their first few weeks and therefore if humans are around as well as the dam and the litter mates when the pup is removed from the nest and taken away by a stranger it already has an affinity to humans and is happy and prepared to accept their instruction.

Sorry far toooooooooooooo long ops:
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

06-02-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Let me put it this way, I think the way you handle a dog can bring out the best in it or the worse but I don't think you can change either the basic temperament nor the character, you can train a dog to behave in a way you find suitable for you or you can let it do as it likes and it will no doubt be a nuisance to everyone.
I agree - therefore it's important to learn as much as possible about the 'type' of dog beforehand, especially when it comes to dominent types. And Thords used the word 'nuisance' above - in the case of some large and bully breeds thast could be replaced with dangerous!

I get people asking me all the time if I will put Rocky with a Presa bitch but I say no - there's no way I'd want the responsibility to find suitible homes for the pups. Much harder than trying to find a loving home for say a small yorkie for example! (Owners of big breed dogs need to put in/give more than just love!)