Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Canis lupus familiaris( the domesticated dog) is not a wild animal par say they are the subspecies of the same root that Canis lupus(the grey wolf)comes from & have been divorced from that same root for over 15,000 years !

Unlike truly wild animals like the Big cats, Elephants, Lizards, etc etc which should not be kept as mankind's play things
Excuse me!! who the hell, do you think you are, implying I view my animals as toys. Don't make judgements on my character, when you don't even know me.

Both my snakes and lizard, are captive bred, from generations upon generations, of captive bred animals.

I keep corn snakes btw, which, are concidered to be domesticated by many, because of the length of time they've been captive bred, and the behavioural changes that seem to have come from it.

My water dragon, is much the same, but I wouldn't concider her to be domesticated, though incredibly tame. I'm always looking at ways to improve her quality of life.

It is a 15 + year commitment to learn to care for and understand, other species other than the exceptable cats, dogs, hamsters and rabbits, and not out of some twisted desire to control a wild animal.

Oh, and whilst I don't agree, that people should keep tigers in their livingroom, most private keepers, can give theri animals a better enclosure than many zoo's, for the simple fact that they don't have to concern themselves with public viewing, and can devote all their time to looking after that animal, not splitting it between many.

Now, it doesn't matter if an animal was domesticated 15000 or 50 years ago, the point is, we brought dogs into captivity, and we, continue to keep them there. So, in some way, your know better than me.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 07:35 PM
It appears there is a lot more to this story than meets the eye, in cluding allegation previously made to the police, so I`m not going to comment.
I do believe the people in the house were responsible for the child`s death - the same as if he`d been playing with a loaded gun.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Im not really sure that all of the above would be do-able, you know me, Im all for helping dogs with issues, but this dog killed a child, even if it could be trained and rehomed, who would take that dog? I wouldnt have a dog that killed a child.
Yes, I know Shona. I understand and agree with you completely. What I should've said was in a case of, lets say, a bit or two perhaps, some people would automatically have the dog PTS where really there were other options to try before that step, if you see what I mean.

It goes without saying that in this case, yes, the dog should have ben PTS.

Hope that's clearer. Sorry for any confusion.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Wire Haired View Post
This is because dogs have morals and ethics. They know the difference between right and wrong
Well, actually, they don't. All they have is what we teach them: behaviour A brings on human anger and a possible beating, behaviour B brings on a treat, or praise, and they learn to go with the pleasant option.

Snorri
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Yes, I know Shona. I understand and agree with you completely. What I should've said was in a case of, lets say, a bit or two perhaps, some people would automatically have the dog PTS where really there were other options to try before that step, if you see what I mean.

It goes without saying that in this case, yes, the dog should have ben PTS.

Hope that's clearer. Sorry for any confusion.
yup, I get you, a dog that puts one bite in, may be sortable, but a sustained attack is diff,

I have to be honest, my personal view is, a dog is worth working with when there has been a clear issue the child has caused, eg..constant teasing, but im not a big fan of working with dogs that have attacked children, its such an iffy area.

many large dogs could kill a child with one or two bites, depending on where they grab the child,
but I would still say they would have to be pts,
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
It appears there is a lot more to this story than meets the eye, in cluding allegation previously made to the police, so I`m not going to comment.
I do believe the people in the house were responsible for the child`s death - the same as if he`d been playing with a loaded gun.
i thought you weren't going to comment
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post

Excuse me!! who the hell, do you think you are, implying I view my animals as toys. Don't make judgements on my character, when you don't even know me. ...............................................

Oh, and whilst I don't agree, that people should keep tigers in their livingroom, most private keepers, can give theri animals a better enclosure than many zoo's, for the simple fact that they don't have to concern themselves with public viewing, and can devote all their time to looking after that animal, not splitting it between many.

Now, it doesn't matter if an animal was domesticated 15000 or 50 years ago, the point is, we brought dogs into captivity, and we, continue to keep them there. So, in some way, your know better than me.
Get a life I said it is not acceptable to me to have any wild animal kept either in a Zoo, Safari park or private collection. By the very definition of being a wild animal living in captivity is not natural. Snakes do not naturally live in glass containers no matter what type of snake they are. Are you actually stating that a Boa Constrictor is better in captivity than in the wild ?? That they live a natural life living indoors ??

The only "collections"of wild animals that can be justified are the breeding programs of endangered(by man)species.

If a snake was truly domesticated species they would not need to be confined & not allowed to live freely in their keepers homes. Just because they are bred in captivity doesn't mean that it is acceptable to everyone.

I'm entitled to my opinion as you are, however it doesn't mean I simply have to accept that it's OK to "own"wild animals as pets
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 08:03 PM
When is this going to end? It's just getting worse! It's about time stricter rules regarding keeping dogs and dog licences were put in place. The police and the KC should get their a*ses in gear and work together to sort this out. However, they are not.
What has it got to do with the Kennel Club ? The likelihood is that the dog was a cross-breed of non recognised or designer breeds so how is the KC supposed to stop that ??

How will a dog licence stop incidents like this happening ? It hasn't in Northern Ireland where there has been a Dog Licence since the Dogs (Northern Ireland) Order 1983 & Eire also has a dog license the have an even worse problem with Dangerous dogs than here on the mainland.

The Police do not make the laws, they only enforce them.

Far better a dog owner's license that the owner has to hold & prove that they will make responsible owners before they can get a dog.

I'm at a lost to see how having to pay a dog license would have prevented this tragis incident happening
buzzie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I do understand it being said they were breeding aggressive dogs and you are right, they are responsible but IMO the dog should be pts and not chance anyone else get it or breed it. I do know it was shot and I guess that was the quickest and kindest way and yet sounds horrible.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Get a life I said it is not acceptable to me to have any wild animal kept either in a Zoo, Safari park or private collection. By the very definition of being a wild animal living in captivity is not natural. Snakes do not naturally live in glass containers no matter what type of snake they are. Are you actually stating that a Boa Constrictor is better in captivity than in the wild ?? That they live a natural life living indoors ??

The only "collections"of wild animals that can be justified are the breeding programs of endangered(by man)species.

If a snake was truly domesticated species they would not need to be confined & not allowed to live freely in their keepers homes. Just because they are bred in captivity doesn't mean that it is acceptable to everyone.

I'm entitled to my opinion as you are, however it doesn't mean I simply have to accept that it's OK to "own"wild animals as pets
Thats like saying a dog that needs to stay on a lead isnt domesticated.
Page 14 of 53 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 > Last »