View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tarasmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2005, 09:14 PM

Whippet racing - is it only for KC registered dogs?

Hi all,
I have come across a few sites promoting whippet racing as a great way of spending a day with your dog in the name of fun,not for money as with greyhound racing,what i don,t understand though is why only kc registered dogs are allowed to take part.

Just out of curiosity,does anyone know?
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 09:26 PM
no i cant help you but i would like to know as well now thanks for putting this up im sure someone will be along to answer this question
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Hmm don't know. Hope someone comes along that does.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Thats actually not true, most Whippets that are racing Whippets are crossed with Greyhounds, so are really Longdogs/Lurchers! I watched a Whippet racing event a few weeks ago it was on the same showground as the Border Terrier champ show I was exhibiting at, they had a great time, but it was just for the Whippets. If you want to race another breed, go Afghan racing, any breed/crossbreed, all for fun on Greyhound tracks at various times in the month, March-October. You can also do any breed racing at Game fairs and Lurcher and Terrier shows.
Dawn.
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-08-2005, 04:11 PM
There are two codes for racing Whippets, one for Ped Whippets that are KC reg and and one for Whippets that are not KC reg.

You can run a KC dog at a track that runs none KC dogs but not the other way about.
SusanW
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Hi Tarasmum

You need to find your local track first. I dont know where you live but there are non peds clubs in Scotland, Newcastle area,,about 3,,Midlands, Notts,,around 3 there,,Devon,,They are scattered around the country. You will be made welcome at any club and the members there will give you loads of advice.

Im from Scotland and have my own non ped club , but the Kc reg racing club let us train or pups and dogs at there club. We dont race with there dogs, but they give us a hand schooling young pups. If you went along to your local Kc Reg racing club, they would point you in the right direction.

You dogs will love to run flat out in a safe enviroment chasing a daft plastic string bag lol.

All the best Susan
rob
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-12-2005, 01:18 PM
I know this might be a bit lale but can enyone tell me where I can race Bob in S.Wales. Just for fun
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2005, 08:05 PM
http://www.thewhippetclub.com/

This may be of use Rob. You can also run Bob at the Afghan racing if you are prepared to travel a bit and also at most game fairs throughout the UK from March to oct. If you are still interested then, get back to me and when a list comes through I will give you ifo on ones close to you.
Dawn.
cumbriandoglover
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-12-2005, 10:30 AM
There was a great article on whippet racing in the December issue of EDRD which i read last night. It gave info on some tracks as well. There was another article on "flapper" racing which is for non registered whippets & may be of interest.
rob
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-12-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn
http://www.thewhippetclub.com/

This may be of use Rob. You can also run Bob at the Afghan racing if you are prepared to travel a bit and also at most game fairs throughout the UK from March to oct. If you are still interested then, get back to me and when a list comes through I will give you ifo on ones close to you.
Dawn.
Cheers Dawn he is pritty fast but I think he will only chase and not race the other dogs but the OH wants to see him run
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >