Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Seems our chips are the mopst expensive!! Along with ZB's. She's right about Brummie chips too!!
We used to go to a chippy in Dudley, Russells Hall Estate,they were gorgeous,yet to find a chippy as good as that one!
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
I know, I'm desperately trying to see if I have enough Weightwatchers points for chips and curry!
There's always enough points for chips and curry
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
We used to go to a chippy in Dudley, Russells Hall Estate,they were gorgeous,yet to find a chippy as good as that one!
Yep, heard good stories about Dudley chippies!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2008, 08:57 AM
My Dad owned a Fish & Chip shop for over 40 years. He only ever served Fish & chips & home made "patties"(mashed potato, fish, marjoram rolled in crushed corn flakes(earned my pocket money crushing them with a rolling pin in a huge greaseproof bag !). He either had the fish delivered three times a week or collected it from the fish docks himself, had the potatoes delivered by the ton !!! & stored in a special building. The fish he sold included skate, dabs, plaice, cod, haddock, lemon sole etc-but never ever coley which was what most shops sold as "Cut"fish(ordinary fish & chips), but my dad's ordinary fish was always cod.

Unlike nowadays he made all the chips himself with a huge peeler & chipper in the yard, with no potato white added, the batter was made from scratch(water, flour etc)not like now when water is simply added to a batter mix.

At first he had a coal fired range, this was replaced in the 1960's with an electric range(which is still in use today !!)

He always used to say that every third "bucket"of chips was profit & was selling fish & chips when fish was a shilling & chips were a penny.

The fish & chips of today are not produced from scratch like my dad did, he filleted the fish, peeled & chipped the potatoes on a daily basis & never kept any fish more than two fries & never had any chips left over night. He sold his patties by the 1000+ a week & they were made fresh every morning(as were the chips)

I've never tasted any one's fish & chips that were as good as my dad's. He worked mega long hours from 5 in a morning(4 if he was collecting the fish) & finished at midnight, the shop open for fish & chips from Monday evening through to Wednesday lunch & then Thursday evening to Saturday night.

One day the local RAF base was closing & the final airmen were flying out at night to Germany & there was going to be no canteen/NAAFI open when they arrived, so they ordered several 100 fish & chips/patties to be collected(on a none frying night!!!) It was all hands to the wheel & my brother & I were behind the scenes preparing the chips & batter & patties-never worked so hard in all my life & I also had to help wrapping the fish & chips up & putting them into the special heated containers the RAF brought.

Lots of funny stories from those days like the day the pressure cooker safety valve blew & the potatoes & fish shot out & plastered the ceiling , the day my dad took the chipper apart, put it back together & found a piece left over he never tried to find out where it went & the chipper worked fine afterwards

I don't buy fish & chips much now, as I can taste the potato white on the potatoes & the batter yuk !!!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
There's always enough points for chips and curry
Very true!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3