View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 05:21 PM

I've in a Dilema now about the house!!!!

You may remember we've been house-hunting for the past 4 months, and found the house of our dreams which needed updating I know, but it really would be a magnificent house when finished. Well, we lost out on it, as we hadn't sold our own and they got desperate to move. We then looked around, couldn't see anything we liked or that fitted our needs, so we decided to extend where we are now.

Big problem! The agent who had our own house on the market, plus that dream house we liked previously, just phoned me up saying would we be interested in some sort of exchange???? Now, the house we wanted we could have had for £438K (reduced from originally £459K and then down to £450K)and ours was up for sale for £299,950K. Both Mum and I think we should put in an offer of £90K and do a "swap", but I don't think somehow they would accept this. However, due to the location of this big house (just off a main road and quite isolated)and it's stuck in a time warp of the 80's inside, they have had it on the market for a whole year and can't sell it quickly enough for them. I know where they're coming from, if they had ours, it would sell quite quickly coz of it's village location, but in actual fact the agent said they would like to stay here and do what we are thinking of, extending upstairs and out the side.

I'm in a dilema now!!!!! I was quite happy thinking we were staying put, but now this has come up it's got me thinking again..... BUT, think of all that builder's mess I wouldn't have to go through and all the upheavel! After all, the other big house is purely cosmetic and wouldn't create such an upheavel for us, but it sure is b-i-g, and probably very expensive to run I told you before, one of the lounges has a full size snooker table in it and a bar!! Hey, Christmas party!!!!!?????

What would you do??????
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 05:26 PM
Go with your heart and gut instinct I guess!

If it really is your dream house, I would be tempted to go for it. How many times is your dream house going to fall into your lap? As long as you will have equity in it after you have had to shell out for all the improvements required I think it is worth the hassle.

Do let us know your decision!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-12-2006, 05:44 PM
I'm a bit confused, you were willing to pay the difference of £138,000 but now only want to pay a difference of £90,000 is that right? If so I can see why you think they wouldn't accept but if you really want it would you pay the £138,000 if so then I guess you open negotiations, but this time I would say that you want it completed quickly as you need to get on with your project one way or the other and it leaves them little opportunity to pull out.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Hi Helena. I am sure you will make the right decision. You only live once remember!!
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 05:47 PM
I think the same as Ozzysmom, go with your gut instinct.

I think in most circumstances our instinct tells us whats right.

If you have doubts about this house now, dont do it, only do what you think is right for you and your family.

Hope you make the descition thats right for you!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-12-2006, 05:57 PM
I would go for it, it must be meant for you as the agent has now rung you and offered it to you on a plate. I think it is 'waiting' for you!!!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 06:45 PM
Yes, it does seem strange that it keeps rearing it's pretty head again in our direction doesn't it!!

Yes trouble, when we were dumped like that we got to thinking we were better off out of it, as it really would be pushing our limits with all the work we intended to do on it and Mum was having to chip in with the difference, and we got to thinking it was only worth around £400K the way it was inside, and that's how we've now come up with a "difference" figure of £90K, or at a push £100K, making a total to them of £400K instead of £438 we offered in the first place! Lol! They really are desperate to move on, and that's why we're thinking they might actually accept our offer, coz it's not an easy house to sell being so big plus it's got a 2-bedroom flat with it which is why we wanted it in the first place for Mum to live in. It also offers an opportunity of hubby to work from home if he ever sold his business in the future, coz it's got two garages, a massive driveway, and a 3-car port opposite the garages, plus a downstairs office by the front door! It's blooming perfect for all of us really!

My gut instinct tells me it's on the cards for us, BUT, what is nagging at the back of my head is WHY can't they sell it?????!!! In this day and age, no house is on the market for over a year is it? Strange that!

Also, if we stayed here and extended Mum would only have to chip in 30 grand and would have a lot left to live comfortably on for the rest of her life, whereas, she would have to chip in a lot more if we moved there plus we would have a bigger mortgage ourselves making us live a lot tighter. Oh dear, maybe something will happen and fate will step in yet again and sort this out for us!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-12-2006, 06:54 PM
ok so if you put in a one time non negotiable offer of the £90,000 could you happily walk away if it was declined?

Also some houses do stay on the market for ages if they need updating some people just can't see past it, but only you 3 can judge how much it is worth to you. Also you are perfectly entitled to see some kind of proof of running costs you know, ask to see the gas, electric, water and council tax bills for the past year. My house is quite a lot bigger than my previous one but the heating costs are quite small as they had the cavity walls insulated. Although if you are at all worried about it then don't do it, better the devil you know.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 06:58 PM
Go with your heart H!!!!
Many houses stay on the market a fair old while nowadays, especially if the owners were initially adamant that they wanted the full asking price!!!! So don't worry about that. Ask the estate agent what they think the reason is as well.
Good luck with whatever you decide!!!
Axxxxxxxxxxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Thanks Trouble That's a really good idea about looking at the expenses I think!

I rang the agent to say I think we should get them to come up with the figure they have in mind to do a swop, and if it's not anywhere near the figure we're thinking of, then there's no point taking it any further! He replied, that the very first thing to do is to get them round to ours and see if they like it enough to do the swop! They've obviously been looking around from the outside coz they've already told him they like the look of ours and the location and that's why they came up with this idea! Hubby just said, we can relax really, get them round, we don't care if they want it or not, and if they don't accept our offer of £90K then it's no skin of his nose!! I wish they hadn't stirred me up again though coz me and Mum really liked that house, so now we're gonna be all disappointed yet again if they're thinking £150K aren't we!!!! No way! That won't happen, I'd rather put up with the mess of extending here thankyou!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >