Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-12-2012, 09:04 PM

Cheechs episodes - decisions, decisions

i mentioned it in my thread the other day but its time to face the fact that cheech is having fits quite often now,
vet said its up to me when to start medication because its such a big step,
problem is, me being stupid he is not insured (im one of those people who will never need it )
my auntie said the first medication her dog was on was costing a minimum of £500 a month plus tests ect on top at times, i cant afford that theres not a hope in hell

now i cant face it until xmas and all is out the way cause i dont want to ruin it for anybody,

me, my mum and OH have already decided that if i cant afford medication then i am going to use my savings and keep him going for a couple of months and make it the time of his life but them let him pass over the bridge,
The fact is he NEEDS me and marley in his life, he hasnt just got SA but if i go out and leave him with my mum step dad ect he will still sit by the front door and howl till i get back, same if we split up the dogs,
if i rehomed him to somone that could afford the medication his life would be a sad empty place and i dont think he would ever get over it.

I just dont know what to do
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2012, 09:14 PM
What medication is he on? It sounds very expensive. My epi dog isn't insured either because I changed insurers after he was diagnosed and I probably pay around £15 per month plus tests every six months or so at around £30.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-12-2012, 09:20 PM
i couldnt tell you what medication it is, i will ask her when i see her next
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-12-2012, 09:38 PM
If he is epileptic, and needs Epiphen it shouldn't be too expensive for a small dog.

Also, if your vet gets the dosage right and he is fit free for say 6 months, you can tell them you want the check-ups further apart - we used to see the vet every 8 months or so.

Try not worrying about it until you've spoken with your vet, and enjoy your Christmas with him
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-12-2012, 10:38 PM
ok thanks, the thing i was most worried about was the cost so this has made me feel much better
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-12-2012, 11:16 PM
I've just read your other thread, and if he's been diagnosed with epilepsy you probably want to start the medication asap - because every time they have a fit there is a risk of brain damage. So getting the fits under control is a priority.

Have a read of this article as well: Living with a dog with canine epilepsy

Hope you feel better soon too.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-12-2012, 11:23 PM
he hasnt been diagnosed with anything yet, though the vet said thats probably what it was,
didnt say about brain damage yet though