Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmegirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-02-2009, 08:38 PM

introduction of another dog to your well established pet

Hi,
I own an 11 yr old border collie, Esme, and I am thinking of getting a rescue dog around 2-4 yrs old.

Although Esme is kind and patient and gentle and a little bit mad in the nicest possible way, what does anybody think about this?
Is getting a much younger dog to her a good idea? Do I get a dog of the same sex or does that not matter?

Esme is my "sort of" rescue dog, she used to belong to my Grandparents, then she came to me when the unthinkable happened, and nobody else in the family wanted her.

I would love another dog, I just don't know how an older dog would take to a younger one, or just another dog full stop!
I do not want a puppy though, I think that would be very unfair on Esme, I jsut wondered what anybody else thought, or if they have done this sort of thing themsleves!

Thanks!

Beckyx
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 08:59 PM
If Esme is good with other dogs, I don't see why not. You are probaly wise to get a slightly older dog - puppies are generally a pain in the backside where older dogs are concerned!

I prefer the dog/bitch combination. Bitch/bitch and dog/dog combinations can work, and wouldn't concern me with very easy going breeds. Some breeds on the other hand can be quite temperamental with the opposite sex.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 09:55 PM
I`ve brought new dogs in over the years and never had a problem. Sometimes they became bosom buddies, sometimes they ignored each other most of the time, but they always seem to appreciate the extra company. Dogs are very accepting creatures.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 08:09 AM
I agree with the others, with the right choice of dog, it shouldn't be a problem.

I'd also agree that if possible, opposite sexes may be better (though having said that, I've got 2 bitches).

The one thing about bitches is that if they have a bad falling out, that is quite often the end of them being able to live together -typical women, they don't seem to forgive and forget and fights can then escalate well beyond the 'handbags' to the full-on trying to kill each other.

Good luck in your search for a new addition
esmegirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-02-2009, 07:31 AM
Thank you all, you are very kind!

A quick update, I was contacted by someone who lives nearby wanting to re-home their female 5 month old Lab X (beagle!) so she will be staying with us this weekend to see how it goes....I know I said a puppy wouldn't be a good idea, but this is a trial! The kids are really excited about it so wish us luck!

Esme had a quick trip to the vet yesterday for an update on her paw, (she had to have a small growth removed a few weeks ago) and I asked if he knew of anybody wanting to re home a dog, so he is going to keep me in mind!

I have tried to ring the local shelter, but seeing that I live in a German/French speaking country, the language difficulty got in the way and they hung up on me!!! ho hum...

Beckyx
esmegirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Gosh! Lola is here! My, what a whirlwind!!

Esme is fine with her, no complaints there but my son is terrified!
what do I do?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 11:34 AM
swap the son for the puppy?