Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 09:21 AM

Glucosamine..where to get it?

Hi all
Hoorah..Mo is having his blodds done tomorrow and so we can start him on Glucosamine for his arthritis once we get the results (fingers crossed).
Where is the cheapest (and best) place to get the dog ones from...can he have human ones????
Ta!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Just found this on a vet page....

Many owners make the error of thinking of buying the suppliment from the health food shop as Glucosamine but buy the wrong type. For dogs it must be Glucosamine Hydrochloride where in humans it is Glucosamine Sulphate, which is a salt and could harm the animal. Hope this helps - it is advice we give in practice.

So no, not human glucosamine. It also seems most gluco for dogs is combined with chondritin for the best results.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 09:34 AM
I buy Synflex for dogs which has Glucosamine, Chondritin and shark cartilege. It's in liquid form so sometimes a bit easier to administer (unless it's Shaan )

Synflex
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-06-2007, 09:44 AM
I buy GLYCO=FLEX for mine, some vets may stock it but i get mine on line.

petmeds.co.uk
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 09:48 AM
I used Synoquin for mine. It comes in chewable tablets, or capsules which can be sprinkled onto food. Not sure on prices I will have a look around for you.
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 10:58 AM
I give Daisy human ones, wrapped in a little bit of ham. I always buy mine online from www.naturesbest.co.uk
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Synflex is super, excellent stuff.
Dawn.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 11:49 AM
synflex is looking good, thanks everyone! A lot of arthritic dogs out there huh?!!!!
Thanks all.
I'll check with the vet about Synflex, off to check it out properly now, fingers crossed it shouldn't upset his liver too much. Hoping the blood test will come back normal and this will all have been a storm in a teacup....
Thanks guys!
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by beckyc View Post
Just found this on a vet page....

Many owners make the error of thinking of buying the suppliment from the health food shop as Glucosamine but buy the wrong type. For dogs it must be Glucosamine Hydrochloride where in humans it is Glucosamine Sulphate, which is a salt and could harm the animal. Hope this helps - it is advice we give in practice.

So no, not human glucosamine. It also seems most gluco for dogs is combined with chondritin for the best results.
Well I buy a pet glucosamin from healthy direct, mainly because I buy my human glucosamine & other things from them. It says it contains both glucosamine sulphate & glucosamine chloride among other things, synflex also says it contains both forms of glucosamine. It also has chondroitin in but so does my human one. The main reason I use the pet one is it gives me a dosage to use by weight of the dog so I don't overdose as I might if I bought a human one.
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 02:40 PM
I buy my old girls glucosamine from Goldshield. It is a human prep and she is fine on it. She has been on it for 8 years now with no detrimental effects. ( bloods totally as expected for a dog her age)
They do do a pet one but even that is a sulphate and not a chloride.

Synoquin and synflex both contain both the sulphate and the chloride and its because of this that I choose to buy her the human prep as they charge 2x the amount for basically the same thing.

The glucosamine that I buy is £12.95 for 365 tabs which deliver 750mg of active ingredient.

I'm not trying to be argumentative but just wanted to tell you why I use what I use.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >