View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 04:11 PM

I'm really scared now - where are dogs glands?

just bathed phoebe and while rubbing down the backs of her hind legs found a small lumps in same place on each leg. If im remembering right isnt that where their glands are? where are the others so i can check them?

About 2 years ago i took phoebe to the vets as i just knew she was unwell vet found all glands swollen and turned out she had a major blood infection.

Im worried its that but even more worried about lymphoma (sp) as thats how phoebes dad died about a year ago
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 04:25 PM
is anybody there?
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 04:32 PM
found some stuff on google with a map of where they are. I cant feel the others but have no idea what im feeling for exactly. Think were of to the vets tomorrow
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 04:35 PM
i hope everything goes ok at the vets tommorowxx
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Yeah there definately are 2 glands down the back legs, one each side. 2 behind the front shoulders and 2 under the chin. There's images on google exactly where they are - illustrations rather than photos if you do a search. Sorry, on my phone at the mo so can't copy them. When Zeke got lymphoma all his were up.. there are other things it could be less serious though so try not to panic, I would get the vet to have a feel tomorrow xx
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 04:38 PM
If they are opposite the knee joint they are called popliteal Glands. I put a thread up asking about these the other day and that got no replies! I guess nobody knows much about them.
It is usual for you to be able to feel them in this location.

Other external ones you can feel are submandibular (in the neck near the angle of the jaw, dont confuse with saliva glands!), prescapular which are just in front of the shoulders, axillary which are in the armpits and inguinal which are in the groin.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
If they are opposite the knee joint they are called popliteal Glands. I put a thread up asking about these the other day and that got no replies! I guess nobody knows much about them.
It is usual for you to be able to feel them in this location.

Other external ones you can feel are submandibular (in the neck near the angle of the jaw, dont confuse with saliva glands!), prescapular which are just in front of the shoulders, axillary which are in the armpits and inguinal which are in the groin.
ive had a real good feel around and cant seam to find any of the others but again im not sure what im looking for. I find it odd ive never noticed them before as i bath her every sunday due to a skin condition - i would have felt them before now if there normal.

will go and see vet tomorrow, i really hope its nothing
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
found some stuff on google with a map of where they are. I cant feel the others but have no idea what im feeling for exactly. Think were of to the vets tomorrow
I think what you are feeling are her lymph nodes, sometimes they are more prominent than others........When you go to the vet, you will always notice he or she when giving your dog a once over will feel down the back of the legs, behind the ears/cheeks and behind the elbows, checking them out.

They can feel enlarged sometimes if your dog is fighting off any kind of infection (doing the job they are there for) but if you are worried have your vet take a look, to make sure its nothing.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 04:59 PM
^^^ Yes, yes, Jackbox is right, these are lymph nodes, not glands. I called them glands when I knew in my head what I meant!