View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2005, 04:27 PM

Working and Dog Ownership - can it be done satisfactorily?

As a digression from another similar thread, a hot potato seems to be whether working people can make good dog owners.

I work full time and I own two intelligent and high energy breeds - a GSD and a BC. I am also a volunteer for GSD Rescue.

My daily routine is rigorous and tiring, but I feel that, as I am privileged enough to own two beautiful dogs, then it is my duty as their owner to make sure they have as full and interesting life as possible.

My routine :-
6am - 1 hour (in summer 1½ hours) free running in fields and bits of training.
12pm - I come home for 1½ hours at lunchtime to walk the dogs - free running round the park and play with tennis ball.
5pm - 1½ hours (2 hours or more in summer) - in winter we walk down a lit cycle track and in summer we go all over the place.
9-10pm - Lead walk down the lanes and time for a last wee.

We also go to obedience class on Wednesday evening and agility some Sunday mornings.

Weekends are spent mainly walking - as it is my second passion after my dogs. Oh and all my holidays are planned so the dogs can come with me.

I think, and hope, that I am an excellent dog owner and that my dogs live as happy and full a life as possible.

NB. At the moment, I have no children or other commitments though, so know I have a lot more time to dedicate to my dogs than many people.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2005, 04:33 PM
The thing is, if you don't work, how can you afford to care for your dogs?

I dont see anything wrong with working, part or full tinme, and leaving your dogs, as long as they are adjusted to it, loved, and well cared for
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2005, 04:36 PM
agree hevvur.
xx
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Nowt wrong with working and having dogs, i cant talk naturally as im to young to work!!1
But mum has only just taken leave of work, at the age of 48 due to ill health making work become impossiblle. But both my parents always worked full time, and we allways had multiple dogs, the most was 6, 3 dobies, 2 staffies and a pekingese. They all got access to the outside during the day and walks before and after work, of course things were easiuer when us chiddlers grew up and started to take them out on our own.....

but there is know reason why people cant own dogs and work also,
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
The thing is, if you don't work, how can you afford to care for your dogs?

I dont see anything wrong with working, part or full tinme, and leaving your dogs, as long as they are adjusted to it, loved, and well cared for
I agree totally
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2005, 04:59 PM
And I totally agree too Hevvur
Its not about quantity but quality

Being the owner of a high geared working dog myself and having a full time job, I know how it is and have learnt what to do.
The last two days, my dog have been with me at work. Not something she useally is anymore, but because bf isnt home these days due to work, I thought I would bring her so I didnt have to rush home.
She has spent about 7 hours of sleeping in her basket there both days.
Only interrupted by me eating my lunch and her comming to check if i wanted to share (which i didnt ).

For all I know, she might aswell could have slept at home (but then I would have to leave on time and not going to the stores afterwards).

But that doesnt mean she´s calm, lasy or anything like that in generel. When I take the gear out or take her to the field to work or train, she´s very much "on". She is and always will be a working dog in high gear.

What it does means though, is that I´ve taught my dog that theres a time to be "on" and a time to be "off". And that I take care of all her needs and gives her what she cant be without being the type of dog she is but when it suits me. Not her Maybe thats the difference?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2005, 05:02 PM
In total agreement - it's true, it is tiring, but the rewards are so great, it's definitely worth it. I've always worked, and I've always had dogs. It's just a case of getting them into a routine. I was home today, and all they did was sleep!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-11-2005, 05:06 PM
i'm not even going to get involved in this thread,and thats not like me.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-11-2005, 05:20 PM
Moobli it sounds as if you are an exceptional owner and a dogs dream

In an ideal world dogs would not have to be left for more than a couple of hours, I would not choose to leave them longer than that but that is my choice and I am very lucky because I am allowed to take a dog to work.

However, I realise others are not able to do the same, and if it is a choice between leaving a dog a little longer than one would wish or having no dog at all I would choose the former. I know of many people who do leave their dogs and more than make up for this with the attention they give them when they are together, they too are fantastic owners

Many dogs in the big rescue kennels get little human contact and a loving home with an owner who is away sometimes must be preferable to this.

So lets just say we all do the very best we can for our dogs within the limitations and constraints of our lifestyles
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2005, 06:48 PM
I totally agree with Hevvur and others

I'm single and live with Luna and my cat Oliver.

I'm away from home everyday, I work fulltime, which is 37 hours a week. But Luna has been used to this since she was a puppy.

I then make sure, that when I'm home from work, luna is with me... The weekends I dont leave her at all...

And you know what?? She sleeps!! When I have a day home from work cos of sickness or holiday or whatever.. She'sjust sleeping most of the day.

Yes if I had the opportunity I would bring her to work with me, or to a kinda doggy kindergarten, just a day or 2 a week. But as I dont have a car, I have no chance of getting to the one doggy kindergarten I know of...

So for now, she's alone home all day.

And to be honest.. She's just as happy to see me, after 2 hours or 10 hours.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >