Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
keiko
New Member!
Male 

31-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Hi lucky Star,

I cant believe how many fits your dog has had, especially in one go! I feel for you and am so sorry to hear about it.

Unfortunately Suki had another fit on Saturday at around 6 p.m. last night and this was really stressfull, one fit each day for the past 3 days. At around 12.20 a.m. she went into another fit, my god it was getting worse.

I phoned my new vets and booked an emegencey appointment and in the end the vet said she has ideopathic epilepsy, just what we thought from the research we had done. My new vets where great, explained things fully and was very nice causing no stress to Suki at all.

10mg diazipam was given once home then every 6 hours (if) she needed it. Much better than stupid dose my last vets gave her. Epiphen is now given 2 x 60mg daily.
We will see how things go until the vet sees her again in 2 weeks time. I think i know the vet from my year at school too.

Hopefully things will simmer down a little, its never easy but im hoping a step forward to normality or as near as for Suki.

Thank you for the links, much appreciated

Paul.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 06:24 AM
Hi Paul
I'm so sorry to hear about Suki but pleased that you are happier with your new vet. You may find that they can reduce the dose after a while, depending on whereabouts within the therapeutic range she is. My Rowan was always right at the bottom, in fact just off it after one blood test but because he had been seizure free the vet decided not to increase the dose. It took me a while to work out that the dose is dependent upon his body's ability to metabolise the drug, rather than the seriousness of his condition.

Do keep us advised on Suki's progress!
Spacecat
New Member!
Female 

01-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Hello...just a quick thought, my cat suffered seizures, and after much too-ing and fro-ing to the vet, discovered that it was spot on flea treatment causing the problem. Our vet however was happy for me to spend a few hundred pounds investigating....

Just have a google of the brand you're using, and add 'seizures' Hope that helps at least to eliminate a possible cause x
keiko
New Member!
Male 

02-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Thanks for above posts. Suki certainly has ideopathic epilepsy. My girlfriend and i have singled out EVERY single possible cause, we dont even use aerosol cans like deoderant in the house anymore or scented burning candles, theses are just examples... weve drove ourselves nuts.

Suki is on day 3 of Epiphen.
1st day pretty calm due to taking a max of 30mg valium
2nd day no valium now, i was happy for her not to take it, rather playful and a little rough to Keiko without realising t.
3rd day Not really with it, very relaxed, not wanting to play. Seems like her senses have changed alot, spends alot time sniffing in the air and whining a lot. I guess the drug is trying to take effect and is working her way into her system now.

Everyone in the house is sleeping now. Sukis bed is next to ours on a night so we can keep a close eye on her. Also at the bedside cabinet we the homepathic seizure liquid just in case.

Ive asked my vet to sedate her for her next blood sample because i want to keep her stress levels down so i shall see what the results are?
Krobolus
New Member!
Male 

13-04-2017, 03:37 PM
Hello, i know this post is 7 years old, but i came across it online and made an account to respond in the hopes it can help.

I have owned 2 Akitas, a Male and Female.

I owned them at seperate times. And from seperate professional breeders (full paperwork,lineage,etc)

They both had occasional siezures (1 to 3 a year)

I was able to narrow down the cause to "Dairy" products, (i am also the proud parent of 5 children, and kids will be kids, and they would of course share things with the dogs they shouldnt when you werent looking, like letting the dog have the rest of their ice cream cone, or pouring their cereal milk into the dog bowl.etc...)

The only times either dog had a siezure i was able to backtrack it each time to Dairy products.

So hopefully this helps. If yiur Akita is having Random 1 to 4 seizures a year, try to think if you gave the dog something different (maybe the normal dog food you give them wasnt available so you replaced it with a similar one but it had an ingrediant that had Milk or Cheese in it)
Dr. Dennis Thomas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-04-2017, 01:37 AM
Hi. Sorry you are having seizure issues with your dog. I have worked on seizure dogs for many, many years. Most young dogs, under five years of age, that have seizures are diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy. The pertinent word is idiopathic. This means we don't know what causes epilepsy. In my opinion, there are three common causes of seizures in dogs, scar tissue on the brain from prior trauma, brain tumors and food related. Of course there are others, like toxins, metabolic imbalances, but these are minimal in occurrence. Unfortunately, many vets do not consider food as a potential cause and it is often overlooked. Many dogs being fed an inappropriate diet develop leaky gut which causes inappropriate digestion and absorption of the intestinal wall. Some chemical byproducts (like acetylaldehyde) can enter the blood stream and pass the blood-brain barrier and cause irritation to the brain, triggering seizure activity. I have been able to resolve many problems with seizures in young dogs by addressing this factor. You will need an MRI in order to rule out scar tissue or tumor (not likely in a young dog) and a blood profile will rule out metabolic problems like hepatoencephalopathy. But, if your dog ends up with a diagnosis of epilepsy, please get a second opinion with a holistic vet. You might get a resolution without having to use the harsh anti-seizure medication that your pet will likely be put on for life. Good luck and empower yourself to find the answer.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2