17-07-2006, 07:16 PM
yes I speak from bitter (and very public as you all know) experience here
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf
yes I speak from bitter (and very public as you all know) experience here
I'm public, I think, but I have no idea what you are talking about, give us a clue or even a link.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-07-2006, 08:15 PM
I got quite a bit of abuse from someone, so much so that it was taken off, but I saw it and have not forgotten. They may have used another name, but I know who it was.
All I was doing was having a chat about my girls to an NI owner, as soon as it was seen we were chatting happily, thats when it started, and I don't think it was coincidental, I think it was deliberate to try and stop us getting on.
Both the NI's and the Utes have husky in them, and this poor dog that the thread is all about needs a home that understands and appreciates that they are not easy dogs, they need total concentration from day one. If they are left running about to their own devices without any proper control or instruction they will become unmanageable in a very short time. I got my 2 when they were 9 weeks old and I started from day 1, they are still little devils, but lots of people stop and comment how good they are for their age, because I have just kept at them for about 10 minutes a day, or when their interest goes. It is a big no no for most people to get 2 siblings, but I did it, it is extremely hard work, but I am beginning to get somewhere with them.
I just hope that this poor NI does find someone quickly who will create a bond with them, they are very intelligent and quick to learn - unfortunately the bad things as well as the good things!
lyndella
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-07-2006, 03:29 PM
thanks everybody for the advice...I left cornwall last thursday and the night before I got storm over to my place so we could see she was going to be familuar with where she was coming back to.......she loved it and was much calmer with crystal....I told my friend that if it didnt work out, that storm would be rehomed at the rspca...I said this as i know that they would be horrified at the thought.....anyway I am up in bury st edmunds and have just had really good news that they are going to keep her and take more time to get her better behaved.....I have been reading lots on this site and have passed on a few tips....someone mentioned about people that have too much land and they let their dogs just roam rather than given them more training...I think me, racheal and alan are all going to work with her,,and those two are going to take her to puppy classes.......if I didnt have crystal who is a sib, then I would have a northern inuit anyday, their personalities are fab and so amuzing and cuddly......by the way, storm looks fantastic....thankyou xxxxx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Hi lyndella 6 months is very young whatever the breed, Storm is just a baby and needs a lot of training so she knows what is expected of her, also mental stimulation so she doesn't get bored.

Are the people keeping her ? She is too young for long on-the-lead walks but can play games like like hide and seek (with a toy/biscuit or human ),fetch the ball and a well filled Kong would keep her busy for ages. What about a flavoured bubble machine? All this will help to use up that puppy energy.

Also what was she being fed, additives in food can make dogs hyper active so a good quality food is important.
Holly663
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-07-2006, 09:33 PM
I dont know a whole lot about dogs, but maybe something like agility will help your dog burn off some of that energy. Might need to change her food too. Do you know anyone that has a young dog that can play with her a few times a week or something. Maybe a pup her age will help her play herself tired. Just a few suggestions.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2006, 06:27 AM
Unfortunately 6 months is too young for Agility they have to be at least 1 year and some clubs say older and they have to have a good level of basic obedience so I would say obedience classes and lots of short training sessions during the day interspersed with lots of play sessions and a few short timeouts. By timeout I mean go to bed or cage when told and lay quite until you are told to come out, most dogs if they have had a walk, a training session and a good play will go to sleep during their timeout. If you can arrange things so that when the dog wakes from his timeout he is fed and then a short time in the garden to empty and then a quite time together and some grooming.

It does not leave time for doing much else except whilst the pup is sleeping but it is only for a short time and by 12 months it will start to get better as the dog will understand that he will get attention when the time comes and must lay or sit and wait with calm.
lyndella
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2006, 12:02 AM
thank you everybody for the advice...I have just returned home and have really good news......alan and racael are too upset to let her go and are going to keep her, they are taking her to puppy classes and are talking about her all the time..I feel really certain about these two and have been to visit her today...she has a really weak stomache even though they are feeding her the best food....just the slightest thing will give her the trots and make her sick...but she is loved and they are sorting out what foods to give her.....
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2006, 01:08 AM
I dont think there is any need for any inuendo's to be posted on this thread. I feel for the puppy the most and as a 6 month old has a lot to learn with a firm discipline.
Please dont use this as another excuse to discriminate a dog or those who post on here.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2006, 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn
NOOOOOO not an NI, they are perfect arent they? Perhaps they are just dogs after all!!!

I hope you get the problem sorted it must be very worrying for you.
Dawn.

No one ever said they were perfect & they most certantly aren't right for everyone.

Boisterous & stubborn just about sums my 2 up perfectly but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >