Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
But does a full time worker have the time to work with a dog with issues? I agree that for a dog whose owner has died, who has always had a settled life and who is laid back and placid, the transition is fairly painless. But unless the dog is fostered for longer than the honeymoon period, no rescue knows how he will behave. Previous owners are notoriously economical with the truth.
For someone who has got up at 6, walked the dog, got the kids to school, then done an 8 hour day and a commute to return to an anxious, needy dog who needs patient and persistent training is testing the owner to the mimit.
That is why dogs gets bounced back. And once they have, it is more difficult to home them afterwards, since they have already `failed`.
However, there are dogs without issues... but then these dogs are the ones everyone else is after as well.

The Rescue is there for the benefit of the dog, not the prospective owner.

If they have a bad experience of people with children returning dogs, they will just put in a `no children` policy. It`s not because they don`t like children.

Well said!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 10:25 PM
"Even the pup can b left 9 hrs although we now have some one to walk them in the middle of that"
ATD x

Does that mean previously the puppy was left for nine hours totally alone with nobody to visit and let it out at all?

Can't imagine any rescue rehoming a puppy to people who would be out for that many hours.

Just my humble opinion, I have an 18 month old Lab and wouldn't leave him alone for nine hours.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
The Rescue is there for the benefit of the dog, not the prospective owner.
But how does it benefit the dog to be sitting month after month in a kennel? How does it benefit dogs in general to be stuck in a foster home when that "space" could be freed up to give a place to a dog who is currently sitting in a kennel?

I can understand not rehoming a dog with serious issues with just anyone. But many dogs have few issues more than "young and exuberant" (that fits at least 75% of the dogs in our local shelter) and some even don't have THOSE issues (my dog could have been homed with someone who was out all day, had kids, etc.). Some rescues refuse to see the dogs as individuals and the people looking to adopt as individuals. And they wait for the perfect ideal home, which isn't really going to happen as most people are, well, only human.

My problem is entirely with rescues who have pretty serious blanket requirements that are hard to meet and then cannot find homes for most of their dogs because no one meets their criteria.

The one I want to adopt from someday has different requirements for each dog: some require fences, some require special care and someone home more often, some won't be homed to places with children, some won't be homed to places with cats or dogs (and some will ONLY be homed to someplace that has dogs already). Each dog has their own requirements and some have very few depending on their personality. I love them for looking at the dogs as individuals.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
"Even the pup can b left 9 hrs although we now have some one to walk them in the middle of that"
ATD x

Does that mean previously the puppy was left for nine hours totally alone with nobody to visit and let it out at all?

Can't imagine any rescue rehoming a puppy to people who would be out for that many hours.

Just my humble opinion, I have an 18 month old Lab and wouldn't leave him alone for nine hours.
I guess it depends on the dog. My parents leave their 9 year old 17 pound mutt alone for 9 hours Monday through Thursday and she's just fine. She wasn't left alone that long when she was younger as my Mom had a different job and worked closer to home, but she has for the past 5 years or so.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 10:38 PM
"I guess it depends on the dog. My parents leave their 9 year old 17 pound mutt alone for 9 hours Monday through Thursday and she's just fine."

Sure - a nine year old dog is probably fine being left that long sometimes.

But a nine week old puppy?!

No way.

Nor an 18 month old dog, in my case
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Sure - a nine year old dog is probably fine being left that long sometimes.

But a nine week old puppy?!

No way.

Nor an 18 month old dog, in my case
It's not ideal and a person would have to spend a lot of time exhausting the puppy beforehand and socializing it and training it and just being with it during the other hours of the day.

The MAJOR issue is that it becomes much harder to housebreak puppies when they end up HAVING to pee in the house while you're out.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 10:49 PM
ATD x

my fella goes out at one IF im on a late im back at ten. his brother lives with us atm but although he will let them out in the back for a wee he isnt downstairs with them. The pup is fine as he has company of two other dogs. i think in 8 weeks of placement i have had 8 lates. if not im back at four.
ATD x
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 10:52 PM
and he 16 weeks now
ATD x
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
But how does it benefit the dog to be sitting month after month in a kennel? How does it benefit dogs in general to be stuck in a foster home when that "space" could be freed up to give a place to a dog who is currently sitting in a kennel?

I can understand not rehoming a dog with serious issues with just anyone. But many dogs have few issues more than "young and exuberant" (that fits at least 75% of the dogs in our local shelter) and some even don't have THOSE issues (my dog could have been homed with someone who was out all day, had kids, etc.). Some rescues refuse to see the dogs as individuals and the people looking to adopt as individuals. And they wait for the perfect ideal home, which isn't really going to happen as most people are, well, only human.

My problem is entirely with rescues who have pretty serious blanket requirements that are hard to meet and then cannot find homes for most of their dogs because no one meets their criteria.

The one I want to adopt from someday has different requirements for each dog: some require fences, some require special care and someone home more often, some won't be homed to places with children, some won't be homed to places with cats or dogs (and some will ONLY be homed to someplace that has dogs already). Each dog has their own requirements and some have very few depending on their personality. I love them for looking at the dogs as individuals.

Larger rescues have much more interest in their dogs they have the opportunity to be specific. Thats one of the reasons you find smaller rescues more flexible.

It can be expected that most dogs will be affected by being in shelter (imo which is why I support foster schemes)

I dont think any rescue wants to hold onto a dog but would you personally want to rehome a dog with the first person who had a good idea about dogs when it had already been through the rehoming system once, or hold off until the ideal home for that dog comes along which you know it will through past experience?

You can see why, I would just go to the rescues that suit you
gillw8
New Member!
Female 

17-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Gosh, I really have started a thread.

The funny thing is that i can see all sides of this and I agree with all of you! I'd never buy a puppy as that wouldn't be fair, I understand some dogs have come back due to lack of time and I understand the nervousness of rescue shelters - but we just want another dog!!

We've tried Many Tears - even had a home check with them but i've been so unimpressed with all the mixed messages we have from them that i've given up. I talked to them on Thursday about a dog and no issues were raised and then on Friday, my husband was told no by someone else! I've given up on their lack of joined-up-ness!

I think we'll give up which is a shame because it would be far better to have a dog here - even on their own for a short part of the day than being sat in a kennel. We have a dog flap so the dogs have the run of the garden as well.

Never mind - but thanks for your support!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3